Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 11:13 AM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
E-Verify does not work for those illegals who have their own businesses (under the table) and employ illegals.
E-Verify does not work for illegals who work as day laborers and used by the average citizen.
Thank you!^ To which, I'll add another thing to your list --- many illegals have anchor babies and name those babies after themselves. That way, they can use their kid's SSN. E-verify doesn't pick up that either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 11:16 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,201,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The vast majority are coming for jobs. I have to wonder about the intelligence level of people who believe throwing billions upon billions of dollars at a wall to stop them from coming for work would be more effective and a better use of our money than attacking the problem at the root cause.

I know, I know, a wall is so much sexier than a government crackdown on the employers who create the problem in the first place. But simple minds are attracted to big, flashy "solutions" like gigantic, money sucking walls. That's why Trump is so enamored of the idea, and why his supporters are as well.
We'll never agree and Cruz wants a wall as well, although he copied the idea from Trump. There are so many illegals running their own businesses or working independently that E-Verify won't capture. Better to build a wall ...

Why does Vatican City have a huge wall around the perimeter ? Of course for security and to keep out the riff raff ... the U.S. should be no different.

No wall means a continuing flow of illegals into the country where they will work under the table.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:16 AM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
The vast majority are coming for jobs. I have to wonder about the intelligence level of people who believe throwing billions upon billions of dollars at a wall to stop them from coming for work would be more effective and a better use of our money than attacking the problem at the root cause.

I know, I know, a wall is so much sexier than a government crackdown on the employers who create the problem in the first place. But simple minds are attracted to big, flashy "solutions" like gigantic, money sucking walls. That's why Trump is so enamored of the idea, and why his supporters are as well.
What is your dog in this fight? Why are you so gung-ho on leaving the border totally unprotected? I have to wonder what the agenda is of those who so vehemently oppose the wall.

You complain about the cost of the wall. Yet, illegal aliens are parasites who cost the taxpayers billions of dollars per year.

You still don't get it---far too many aren't just coming here for jobs. Yet you gloss over that fact

Why do you want open borders?

Old 04-08-2016, 11:28 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
Quote:

Ideally, the solution is both a wall and a government crackdown on employers including jail time for repeat offenders. The wall is different things in different places combined with high technology and a large increase in border patrol. If you're imagining a giant wall non stop across the entire border like the Great Wall of China, that's not what this is about. As far as the money goes, why aren't you so concerned about the billions illegals cost us now? Do you have any idea what it costs to educate millions of people from kindergarten to college? Where do you think those billions are coming from? That money and more is already being spent supporting illegals and their babies here. Building barriers (the wall) along our border with Mexico is a one time cost as opposed to the continuous and growing cost to support illegals. That "money sucking wall" is a bargain compared to what we pay now to maintain these people that have no right to be here. It will be the best money this country has spent in a very long time.
And BTW, they just don't come here for work. Some come here for the free ride they get when they have anchor babies and then are fully supported by the government. Others come here so they can sign up and go to our schools for free or reduced cost for higher education. It's not as "simple minded" as thinking they are here just to work hard.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:34 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,084,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
What is your dog in this fight? Why are you so gung-ho on leaving the border totally unprotected? I have to wonder what the agenda is of those who so vehemently oppose the wall. ?
My "agenda" is to not create a black hole to throw our money down when we have many very serious infrastructure problems that are not being addressed because supposedly, we don't have the money. A wall will suck up billions upon billions of dollars and is no guarantee to even be effective. And if we can't afford to maintain the infrastructure we already have, how will we afford the massive upkeep a wall will require? By any measure, it sounds like a supremely stupid proposition.

Nothing nefarious, just a realistic view of what a wall would cost and how our money can be much better spent on addressing the root causes instead of merely addressing the effects. But if it doesn't involve throwing our money away on a wall, Trump supporters obviously are not interested. You guys have bought into Trump's big folly, and there's apparently no cure for it.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
My "agenda" is to not create a black hole to throw our money down when we have many very serious infrastructure problems that are not being addressed because supposedly, we don't have the money. A wall will suck up billions upon billions of dollars and is no guarantee to even be effective. And if we can't afford to maintain the infrastructure we already have, how will we afford the massive upkeep a wall will require? By any measure, it sounds like a supremely stupid proposition.

Nothing nefarious, just a realistic view of what a wall would cost and how our money can be much better spent on addressing the root causes instead of merely addressing the effects. But if it doesn't involve throwing our money away on a wall, Trump supporters obviously are not interested. You guys have bought into Trump's big folly, and there's apparently no cure for it.
How about we stop spending $113 billion on the illegals here now and rebuild our infrastructure ? That number will continue to go up with a porous southern border.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:37 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
Quote:

What do you not understand that the money the wall will cost is already being spent, not on infrastructure but on supporting illegals that are here and that cost is growing every year in leaps and bounds. Why do you not get that?

Old 04-08-2016, 11:51 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,084,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
How about we stop spending $113 billion on the illegals here now and rebuild our infrastructure ? That number will continue to go up with a porous southern border.
We'll spend that just trying to maintain a wall, while people who really want to get in will do so anyway, by going over it, under it, around it. Or, they will come on visas and overstay them when they expire, which is how an estimated 40% of illegals arrive here. They come by plane, legally. What will a wall do to stop them? Not a damn thing.

Meanwhile, all of our money will be squandered on maintaining a wall that won't even do what we built it for, while our roads and bridges crumble away because we've wasted all our money maintaining that useless wall.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, anyway you look at it.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
What is your dog in this fight? Why are you so gung-ho on leaving the border totally unprotected? I have to wonder what the agenda is of those who so vehemently oppose the wall.

You complain about the cost of the wall. Yet, illegal aliens are parasites who cost the taxpayers billions of dollars per year.

You still don't get it---far too many aren't just coming here for jobs. Yet you gloss over that fact

Why do you want open borders?
If the border was as unprotected as you seem to think you'd have a lot more than just 11 million illegals in the country,the number would probably closer to 100 million as any one from central and south America can supposedly just walk into America unimpeded and start collecting welfare, And what about the 70-80K Canadian illegal immigrants? another wall to the north?

Old 04-08-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If the border was as unprotected as you seem to think you'd have a lot more than just 11 million illegals in the country,the number would probably closer to 100 million as any one from central and south America can supposedly just walk into America unimpeded and start collecting welfare, And what about the 70-80K Canadian illegal immigrants? another wall to the north?
I've heard 30 million as an estimate. I'm surprised that a lot of them don't apply for citizenship in Canada, but I suspect the climate has something to do with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections