Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 01:05 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,981,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
OK . . . . then why is he now going to "look at it"? Does he no longer believe that "more full time, good paying jobs" are coming back to the US? Confusing.

Mick
No, Mick, maybe he is going to look into it because it seems to be a concern of the people. He did state, last night, after saying he would look into it, that what we really need are good paying jobs to come back to America and that would solve the problem. Then minimum wage jobs can go back to being what they once were.. jobs for young people, retired people etc...
Do you not disagree that minimum wage jobs were not meant to support a family? Careers were?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 01:08 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
... it's okay with me as long as he doesn't forfeit an entire position, which I don't think he will do....

Yesterday he did a complete forfeiture on having a 'self funded' funded campaign. This was one of his main campaign issues throughout the primary. Then he flip flops on raising the minimum wage.

I guess Trump's new slogan should be "what happens in the primary stays in the primary".

Old 05-05-2016, 01:15 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,177,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Saying we should leave it the way it is then saying he is open to raising it, isn't a forfeiture. You have to leave room, so saying I'd be okay with it going to $10 or whatever is negotiating. If Trump said I am going to eliminate the minimum wage completely, then said he would be okay to raise it above the current rate then that would be forfeiture. However, I think he is smart enough to never put himself into a box like that. We need someone who puts Americans first and not their own lines in the sand.
Huh??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
But that's exactly what he just did!

"During a November debate, Trump voiced opposition to raising the minimum wage. “I hate to say it, but we have to leave it the way it is,” he said during the debate.

During a November appearance on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” Trump said the current minimum wage is too high and was slowing job growth.

And now today, he "forfeited his entire position," to put it in your words.
Good grief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
You'll be begging for a wall when the Muslim refugees hit your area of the country or your schools are overcrowded due to all of the illegals being educated there.
Oh yeah? What is a wall going to do about the people who are already HERE and are here LEGALLY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
If Trump wins, the country loses. Same thing with Hillary Clinton. So it is all but certain that out country will have lost for the 3rd time in a row, regardless of which one of these two vile people "win" in November.

It is time for everyone to get past the R vs D thing. These are two of the silliest "tribes" that anyone in our country can lower themselves to affiliate with. They have both failed us quite miserably and for many years now. They are not worth the personal devotion they receive from people. So the idea that we should be concerned if one of them might lose "for the third time in a row" really misses the forest for the trees in a particularly spectacular fashion.
I don't think we've agreed much in the past, but we agree now. The **** flinging on this message board, comment sections on articles and in general between Democrats and Republicans is so childish and pathetic. Bi-partisan politics will continue to tear this country apart.

And yes, there's no way I would vote for either of these two as POTUS. I was fine with Obama and Bush 2, and I probably would've been fine with McCain (not with Palin as VP) and Romney. But no, not these two.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:17 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,341,802 times
This is going to hurt Trump big time with his core base of angry supporters. My friend in AZ who is a hardcore Trump fan and voter is already going WTF?! when I showed him this. Trump thinks by pandering to the Democrats, he will pick up more general election votes. Even if he does, it will be minuscule. Only 10% of Bernie supporters said they might consider Trump if Hillary is the Dem nominee. Trumps whole campaign was built on his way or the highway and f**k you if you dont agree. Just wait till Trump starts pandering to illegals and saying the wall is negotiable as he tries to win the Latino vote. His hardcore support base will see him for the pathetic fraud and sellout the rest of us knew he was from the beginning and they will turn their back on him. Its coming...

Old 05-05-2016, 01:19 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livejack View Post
No, haven't seen them...

But you can bet that Cruz will be back in the senate fighting each and every move that Trump tries to make on any proposal. I didn't buy his outrage over the Heidi/Melania issue, but I do buy the outrage he has shown over the attack on his father.

Not a Cruz fan by any stretch, but I do see him becoming a 'useful' tool for the establishment IF (and a big IF) Trump is to get elected.

Haven't heard him repeat his 'pledge' lately...
Cruz will stay in the Senate only if he thinks it will help him in his 2020 presidential campaign.

Don't kid yourself about him. He's no one's useful tool, god and his daddy told him he's going to be president. He doesn't care about anything else, with the probable exception of his family.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:19 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Why would Cruz fight Trump on every move ? Cruz is also for a wall for example ...

Politics makes for strange bedfellows.

I can see Cruz fighting this, based on the spiraling costs associated with it.

It is also possible that Cruz only said that in the heat of the primaries, when he saw that Trump was winning. As we've again now seen, promises made during the primaries don't count in the general.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:20 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,201,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post

Oh yeah? What is a wall going to do about the people who are already HERE and are here LEGALLY?
Illegals are not here legally so what on Earth are you talking about ? A wall is designed to stop illegal immigration which is a very good thing.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:22 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,201,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
Politics makes for strange bedfellows.

I can see Cruz fighting this, based on the spiraling costs associated with it.

It is also possible that Cruz only said that in the heat of the primaries, when he saw that Trump was winning. As we've again now seen, promises made during the primaries don't count in the general.
Go to TedCruz.org and tell me about the Cruz plan to fight the wall. And spiraling costs ? What about the spiraling costs for illegal immigrants already here ?

Old 05-05-2016, 01:22 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,981,014 times
Mr. Trump will not back away from trying to get to the root of the problem regarding jobs. Raising minimum wage only puts a band aid on the problem, the problem being there are really no good jobs available. What we need are jobs. Good paying jobs. A college student would be happy to take a job as a cashier making 10.50 an hour I am sure, unfortunately, that does not work for head of household trying to support a family. Neither will 15.00 though. What that head of household needs is a CAREER, not a job that any college or high school student can do. Don't you think everyone would be happier all around if they could actually find a JOB.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:26 PM

952 posts, read 518,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Cruz will stay in the Senate only if he thinks it will help him in his 2020 presidential campaign.

Don't kid yourself about him. He's no one's useful tool, god and his daddy told him he's going to be president. He doesn't care about anything else, with the probable exception of his family.
He was already a tool of the establishment by being the Anti-Trump candidate. Maybe he is looking ahead to 2020, but that would be based on the premise that Trump is either not elected in 2016, or he is such a miserable president that a GOP challenger could overtake the nomination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections