Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 12:01 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Why do you say "blindly falling in line to support Trump"?? Why not say, "looking at the two choices left and deciding that Trump is PROBABLY better"??
Why do you spin it so??
Seems a bit phony.

Oh, and I already KNOW what the concerns of Cruz people are. Most of my political buddies voted for him. I donated to him.
And this is what gets me: most Cruz people essentially say this (over and over): "out of MY top ten concerns, there are no more than one or two which would also be found on the list of top ten concerns of Trump and his supporters...........so DIE, Donald!!"
It makes absolutely no sense, because it is flat out false. Like, comically false.
What I meant was there is a lot of trashing of Cruz and his supporters from the Trump supporters. I have thick skin, this doesn't bother me and will not influence whether I support Trump or Johnson.

What I meant was why not reach out to us in a more collaborative and friendly manner and show us how most of our concerns will be well addressed by Trump.

I agree that there was more venom between Cruz and Trump supporters than was necessary but campaigns tend to do that. Now that the primary is over, I would suggest there are better ways of courting Cruz supporters than what I have seen on these threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 12:07 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,839,062 times
Quote:
But so didn't Cruz.
So there is THAT.......
No, Cruz has never stated that he was honored to be endorsed by a "Kill the gays" pastor, not did he invite one to give the invocation at any event sponsored by the Cruz campaign, both of which Donald Trump has done.

Prayer at Trump rally brings crowd to its feet

The Church at which Gallups preaches

Hickory Hammock Baptist Church - Bible Truth About Homosexuality

Leviticus 18:22, 20:13 24-30; - God's Law strictly and clearly forbidsHOMOSEXUALITY! The penalty for this activity among God's People wasdeath.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-r...ers-in-florida

The only evidence Donald's fan base has with regard to Cruz is a video of an event that Cruz, Huckabee and Jindal appeared at for a campaign stop speech, none of the candidates were there to support the event or the other attendees and none were there to be "honored" by an endorsement.

Moderator cut: no manual signatures, please

Last edited by Marka; 05-22-2016 at 02:28 AM..

Old 05-20-2016, 12:42 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,901,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
What I meant was there is a lot of trashing of Cruz and his supporters from the Trump supporters. I have thick skin, this doesn't bother me and will not influence whether I support Trump or Johnson.

What I meant was why not reach out to us in a more collaborative and friendly manner and show us how most of our concerns will be well addressed by Trump.

I agree that there was more venom between Cruz and Trump supporters than was necessary but campaigns tend to do that. Now that the primary is over, I would suggest there are better ways of courting Cruz supporters than what I have seen on these threads.
Well, if you aren't a Cruzer who has thrown in with the "Never Trump"ers, then this thread isn't directed towards you.

I have supported MANY GOP candidates who I did not like much, at the end of the day. I definitely get that.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:01 PM

465 posts, read 256,849 times
Quote:
.....categorically refuse to vote for Trump (since I believe that the biggest bloc of Republicans who will fight our GOP nominee is made up of Cruz supporters):

As a guy who donated to Cruz and would have been pretty happy with him as the nominee, all that I (and many, many others) can say to YOU folks is, s*rew you. Your mindless petulance is disgusting.
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that "How to Win Friends and Influence People" is not on your summer reading list.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:06 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty Pendergrass View Post
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that "How to Win Friends and Influence People" is not on your summer reading list.
Those that followed Cruz tend to be like him. Obviously, Cruz didn't read the book either! Cruz is finished. I knew with that type of cult following that they would have severe withdrawal symptoms, it was just a given. They still believe Cruz will rise from the dead heap of primary candidates and reign supreme. We all know how cult followers behave. I guess if you know a Cruz follower that they'll need suicide watch during the GOP convention! Sad, but true with some of the religious nuts.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:09 PM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
As much as you think everyone ought to just fall in line, some Republicans feel they can not morally vote for Trump. I am one. I started out as a Paul supporter, once he went out I went through a series of candidates that I gave varying amount of support to. I debated who to vote for during my primary, because I was okay with and number of them, and ended up marking Rubio. Once Rubio left I wasn't much of a Cruz fan but I was willing to vote for him if he ended up being the nominee. I can not imagine any senario where I am willing to vote for Trump. And you know what? I don't have to.

You realize this makes you a bigger jinx than Lindsey Graham.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Well, if you aren't a Cruzer who has thrown in with the "Never Trump"ers, then this thread isn't directed towards you.

I have supported MANY GOP candidates who I did not like much, at the end of the day. I definitely get that.
Fair enough.

What really frustrates me about the most ardent NeverTrump people is that they don't seem to have nearly the contempt towards Mrs. Clinton as they do towards Trump. Whether one admits or not, the NeverTrump stance benefits Clinton, especially if the stance is taken by someone with a public presence and uses their microphone to constantly trash The Donald.

Just this week alone, Trump has proven himself far better than Clinton on many issues: SCOTUS nominees, terror, and 2nd Amendment.

I was never NeverTrump so much as considering Johnson (L) instead of Trump. I reluctantly supported Romney in '12 and regret that decision in light of what a D-Bag he has been with respect to the chance of a Trump nomination. I'm glad to have supported Barr (I) instead of McCain in '08.

At the end of the day, I'll likely go with Trump. One reason is that there is no politician and, perhaps, no human being (if she even counts) that I despise more than Hillary Clinton. Voting for Johnson is a less direct vote against Hillary Clinton than voting for Trump.

Hopefully enough NeverTrump people come around -- I'm not sure what they're trying to achieve. I was really impressed with Ben Shapiro but have found myself listening to his podcast less as it is now the 'Trash Donald Trump Show' as opposed to the 'Ben Shapiro Show.'

Old 05-20-2016, 01:29 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
It is what it is. At a certain point, the Cruz supporters or any Conservative that can't support trump for their personal reasons certainly have a right not to support him and I no longer worry about convincing them. For every Conservative vote that Trump loses, there are at least 3-4 blue collar democrats that will take their place.
I'm as conservative as anyone and for me the big picture is the Supreme Court. Several Presidential elections will come and go and the Supreme Court Justices that the next President nominates and may be confirmed will still be there. Imagine if the current Supreme Court had upheld all of Obama's agenda. Imagine another 2-3 liberal judges sitting there giving Hillary or anyone else with a left wing progressive agenda whatever they wanted to make this country look like Europe or worse. No thanks. I'll take my chances with Trump. I don't know for certain what the Presidency holds with him but I do know for certain what it holds with Hillary in the oval office. The Supreme Court is the only government body that can stop a President from taking excessive powers against the will of the people. As we've seen with Obama's unlawful executive orders, Congress can or will do nothing. The Supreme Court is our last hope.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It is what it is. At a certain point, the Cruz supporters or any Conservative that can't support trump for their personal reasons certainly have a right not to support him and I no longer worry about convincing them. For every Conservative vote that Trump loses, there are at least 3-4 blue collar democrats that will take their place.
I'm as conservative as anyone and for me the big picture is the Supreme Court. Several Presidential elections will come and go and the Supreme Court Justices that the next President nominates and may be confirmed will still be there. Imagine if the current Supreme Court had upheld all of Obama's agenda. Imagine another 2-3 liberal judges sitting there giving Hillary or anyone else with a left wing progressive agenda whatever they wanted to make this country look like Europe or worse. No thanks. I'll take my chances with Trump. I don't know for certain what the Presidency holds with him but I do know for certain what it holds with Hillary in the oval office. The Supreme Court is the only government body that can stop a President from taking excessive powers against the will of the people. As we've seen with Obama's unlawful executive orders, Congress can or will do nothing. The Supreme Court is our last hope.
This is one reason why Trump's decision to release the list of potential SCOTUS nominees was such a smart move. It's a very strong goodwill gesture towards conservatives and also shows he is not some sort of loose cannon who doesn't take input from those in the know.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:21 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,514,587 times
Quote:

And none of them is within telescope viewing range of being the world-class turd that Donald Trump is.

Fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections