Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 07:26 AM

1,100 posts, read 633,623 times

Advertisements

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...oEJ/story.html

I've heard mixed reviews about the guy and I know he helped raised funds for Gov Romney, during his presidential run - but that's to be expected from same party folks (especially same state).

Either way, the Libertarian ticket could potentially have more experienced with two 2x term Governors, than the establishment tickets...that's sad and laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 07:59 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Seems like a good balance between the current candiates

Old 05-19-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Seems like a good balance between the current candidates
Assuming Gov Johnson wins the presidential nomination and Gov Weld wins the VP nomination - that's 16 years of combined chief executive experience at the state level. Neither establishment party has that claim, and factor in that governors historically make better presidents.

Most likely scenario is, the LP finally secures more than 5% of the general election votes and secures at least 60 million in federal funding for the next campaign cycle - which will allow the LP to actually begin their campaign for 2020 at the same time as the establishment parties and as well as boost their ability to refine their marketing strategy and acquire national attention outside of random MSM interviews/articles.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:11 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
Johnson/Weld? Count me in.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:58 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
That helps answer what happened to the cries for rouge GOP 3rd Party. The combo of Johnson/Weld has potenial to get traction. The Libertarian Party is already on 32 state ballots and actively working on the others.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:35 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
I am a Sanders supporter. I know Libs aren't on the ballot in my State yet, but if they are for November count me in.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I am a Sanders supporter. I know Libs aren't on the ballot in my State yet, but if they are for November count me in.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:18 AM

1,166 posts, read 755,059 times
This shows how far right and insane the GOP has become. Both Johnson and Weld used to be moderate Republicans, Weld was actually part of the Reagan Justice Department. It is sad that there is no longer a place for either of them in today's far right, theocratic version of the Republican Party.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
This shows how far right and insane the GOP has become. Both Johnson and Weld used to be moderate Republicans, Weld was actually part of the Reagan Justice Department. It is sad that in 2016, there is no longer a place for either of them in the far right, theocratic version of the Republican Party.
Bingo - there's no room for real moderates in the GOP. you're either conservative all the way, across the board...or you're a liberal. Same thing on the left though...no room for real moderates - you're either a progressive or your a DINO.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:16 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,839,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
Bingo - there's no room for real moderates in the GOP. you're either conservative all the way, across the board...or you're a liberal. Same thing on the left though...no room for real moderates - you're either a progressive or your a DINO.
I voted twice for Weld when I lived there. He was pretty conservative for a Republican by today's standards. The only negative I have is his gun control legislation.

Per Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Weld

During his governorship, Weld ended the state's borrowing, controlled Medicaid spending, reduced property taxes, and balanced seven budgets in a row (in a state where a balanced budget is constitutionally mandated but haphazardly enforced) while passing 19 tax cuts and never raising taxes.

Weld received grades of A in 1992,B in 1994, and B in 1996 from the Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank, in their biennial Fiscal Policy Report Card on America's Governors.

During his term, he launched a successful effort to privatize many state's human services, laying off thousands of state employees.

Moderator cut: no manual signatures, please

Last edited by Marka; 05-22-2016 at 02:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections