Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 08:31 AM

8,895 posts, read 5,378,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post

By reaching out to all Americans in an inclusive way she separates herself in a major way from Donald Trump.
Oh I don't know ..... when did Donald Trump promise to put my employer out of business and me out of work and be proud of it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksIXqxpQNt0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 08:37 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,539,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Exactly. Like a chastised child, he read the remarks he was given.
And still didn't have enough self-control to not make a pee-pee joke.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:43 AM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I do find it a historic moment, and look forward to Hillary Rodham Clinton being officially made the Democratic Nominee.

Back in high school, during the Nixon years, I had doubts whether a woman would achieve this high-water mark in my lifetime. I was absolutely sure that a black man would not be president in my life.

One reason I had doubts about a woman being president (or even a nominee) was simply the 'times' I was living in. The Soviet Union was strong, with very strong, and prejudicial, men in charge (by prejudicial, I mean they thought that women were inherently weak and had no place in politics, business, leadership roles, etc.). I figured that it would be rather disastrous to have a woman be president and having to deal with the USSR.

Of course, as time went by, and I witnessed the period of Margaret Thatcher, my views began to change. no one could charge Prime Minister Thatcher with being 'weak'.

The times have indeed changed. I did live to see a black man in the White House, and it is a strong possibility that I will see a woman as president. Even if HRC loses, it is still historic that a woman is the presidential nominee of a major party (I recognize that Geraldine Ferrero was a VP nominee, which itself was historic).
Agreed. I realize it's hard to fathom for people under 30 - but this is an amazing achievement I didn't think I was going to see in my lifetime.

Young women don't have the experience of walking into a room full of men who are convinced you don't know how to do your job simply because you have boobs. Is it gratifying to prove them wrong? Yes. Will I be glad when my daughter doesn't have to do that just because? Yes. Unfortunately there are still only 5% of my profession that are women. 30 years after I got the blank stares and the rolled eyes, not much has changed in my world, but there are plenty of workplaces where women are now commonplace and even (gasp!) running the joint, the top job in the USA being one of the last hold outs.

When I was a child in the seventies, my mother represented an industrial gases company she worked for (as a secretary, of course) on the weekend at stores as "Miss Easy Weld" - where she would demonstrate a consumer welding machine that was "so easy to operate even a woman can do it". Unbelievable how recent that actually was.

Regardless of one's feeling regarding Hillary, it certainly is a fantastic turn of events. We've come a long way. Sadly it doesn't surprise me that the usual suspects want to denigrate it as nothing. They've never been in a position to experience the true gravitas of the shift in consciousness.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:46 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
This thread is a perfect example of why the Republic party is in so much trouble and why it is losing support.
Hmmm. I say Nope. In the last 5 years.
  • GOP has taken control of the US House by historic margins.
  • GOP has taken control of the US Senate
  • The Majority of Governors in the USA are from the GOP
  • The Majority of State governments are controlled by GOP politicians and many by veto proof majorities.
  • ~1,100 DNC national and state politicians have lost their seats to the GOP.
  • The two leading and candidates have spent an eye watering $500,000,000 (yest 1/2 billion) on their primary and turnout is still down close to 40%. (a disaster)
So your assertion is proved wrong, as this speaks for itself.

Hillary's achievement might have been considered "historic" if she had gotten there by fair means. But when it's done by pulling every dirty trick out of the book along with bending rules to her favor, it's not legitimate. Hillary is there because the party elite put her there.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:52 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,033,587 times
Quote:
So Trump is a great family man after 3 marriages, extramarital affairs, and a playboy life of debauchery?

Give me a break and worry about your own bedroom!
Sounds like you're talking about Bill. The only reason he's had but one marriage is because his wife is a power grubbing enabler. I might have some respect for her if she had tossed his ass out of the marital bed. I have ZERO respect for enablers.

Edit: Let me rephrase that. I suspect she DID toss him out of their bed years ago. She should have tossed his clothes out the white house window when he got impeached and lost his law license for lying under oath.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:59 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post

Edit: Let me rephrase that. I suspect she DID toss him out of their bed years ago. She should have tossed his clothes out the white house window when he got impeached and lost his law license for lying under oath.
Supposedly that "tells all" Secret Service book soon to be released describes another story where she catches Bill with a woman (not Monica) in the White House and she hauls off and belts him pretty hard in the jaw.

Imagine that if you are a Secret Service agent assigned to protect the first family and having to deal with a fully enraged Hillary Clinton.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:01 AM

Why do Republicans get all worked up about who sleeps or not in whom's bed?

Old 06-08-2016, 09:07 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Agreed. I realize it's hard to fathom for people under 30 - but this is an amazing achievement I didn't think I was going to see in my lifetime.

Young women don't have the experience of walking into a room full of men who are convinced you don't know how to do your job simply because you have boobs. Is it gratifying to prove them wrong? Yes. Will I be glad when my daughter doesn't have to do that just because? Yes. Unfortunately there are still only 5% of my profession that are women. 30 years after I got the blank stares and the rolled eyes, not much has changed in my world, but there are plenty of workplaces where women are now commonplace and even (gasp!) running the joint, the top job in the USA being one of the last hold outs.

When I was a child in the seventies, my mother represented an industrial gases company she worked for (as a secretary, of course) on the weekend at stores as "Miss Easy Weld" - where she would demonstrate a consumer welding machine that was "so easy to operate even a woman can do it". Unbelievable how recent that actually was.

Regardless of one's feeling regarding Hillary, it certainly is a fantastic turn of events. We've come a long way. Sadly it doesn't surprise me that the usual suspects want to denigrate it as nothing. They've never been in a position to experience the true gravitas of the shift in consciousness.
Here's the thing. I'm not under 30, and I have seen/experienced some poor treatment of both women and minorities both in work and general life experiences.

My issue with Hillary is that she sets such a bad example on HOW she did it, not only for women, but for anyone in general. She has been so deceitful and embodies that "anything to advance my career/self interests" mode that I think is a terrible message to send to girls, women, or anyone looking to become a future leader, whether it be in business or politics. Its just not the right message.

I'm happy on the surface that we have reached such a place where the potential for a female POTUS is here, but I just think the messenger in this case sets a pretty bad example.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:10 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,151,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
This is not a breakthrough. Hillary is not a self-made woman. Without being married to a president, no one would know who she is. I will wait until a woman earns a right to run for president on their own merit.
What you are forgetting is she was raised middle class in suburban Chicago with no special treatment whatsoever. She earned a scholarship to Wellesley and went on to Yale Law where she met a guy who became President of the US - so what? You can hardly make the case that the woman doesn't have stellar credentials and is very smart and wouldn't have done very well without being married to Bill.

Trump on the other hand was "To the Manor Born" and Daddy gave him $1,000,000 to go start a real estate business which Daddy then helped him build based on Daddy's experience and NY contacts. He is hardly Horatio Alger and has benefited all his life from well placed mentors and supporters supplied by Daddy.

Yeah he is his own man now, but he wouldn't be who he is without a major assist from Daddy and his money. He is the typical spoiled "trust fund baby" who was born on third base and then thinks he hit a triple.

In addition, this protected upbringing, contributes mightily to his sense of entitlement and lack of humility, and why he can't handle the slightest bit of criticism, which by definition is not a good trait for someone seeking the most criticized job on the planet.

Hillary is succeeding in spite of Bill and his shenanigans and Trump is who he is, because of special treatment from Day One!

Old 06-08-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Hillary is succeeding in spite of Bill and his shenanigans and Trump is who he is, because of special treatment from Day One!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections