Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 06:14 AM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
With today's technology we shouldn't need to send in too many troops. If we really want to win and are not afraid of collateral damage we can easily win from the air alone. We will never win if we continue as usual and we need a win.
That was the same misguided thinking when we invaded Iraq, we were going to fight a surgical war with superior technology but here we are with a few thousand soldiers and a few million civilians killed. You cannot win a war without ground troops and the American people already voted their disapproval on sending in front line forces to the ME.

Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Iraq need to do more, I honestly don't see us escalating anything beyond where we are today and any presidential candidate that presents that as an option is lying.

The other part of this is how do you "win" a war in Syria, assuming they defeat ISIS then what. Just killing off terrorists in an area without a political solution to go along with it is not a solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 07:24 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
We still have troops overseas. My husband and friends of ours are there. There are rumors of Syria and many are preparing to find out they are going there.

There is intelligence that is gathered but not acted on....or it's so hush-hush that they are trying to make a plan on what to do. I know someone who collected intel on a guy who was on the deck of cards and was able to act on that intel...which resulted in the capture of this person.
It irritates me to no end hearing candidates saying what they will and will not do without knowing all the deep details of things.

I think it is important to have military advisers and I do think that between Hillary and Trump, that Trump would listen to their opinion. He seems to be one of those who likes to get the facts.
This is how myself and others feel about Hillary. I have yet to come across a military member or military family member who supports or will vote for Hillary.
Its very obvious to anyone affiliated with the military. The only democrat that I can even stomach is Jim Webb (retired admiral)
I was excited at the thought of General Flynn as VP. But, Pence seems like a good choice too.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:28 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times
Before ANYONE, Democrat or Republican, sends more of our troops off to war, we need to make damn sure we can actually take care of them when they come home.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Before ANYONE, Democrat or Republican, sends more of our troops off to war, we need to make damn sure we can actually take care of them when they come home.
We can buy obviously won't. Bring them home.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
This is how myself and others feel about Hillary. I have yet to come across a military member or military family member who supports or will vote for Hillary.
I will, my husband will and many family members and friends will be voting for Hillary.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:49 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I saw that on Face The Nation, I think he was trying to say he'd make Turkey do it (somehow) or other NATO partners because they "don't do enough". The best I could figure he was saying he'd threaten to leave NATO if they don't step up? It was hard to tell.

Not that it makes sense. But that was what I gathered.
OK, how is he going to "make" other nations do anything...threaten to fire them?

Old 07-21-2016, 10:22 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
With today's technology we shouldn't need to send in too many troops. If we really want to win and are not afraid of collateral damage we can easily win from the air alone. We will never win if we continue as usual and we need a win.
Win what? What is it we're likely to win taking over the fight that should rightly be fought by the countries in the ME most threatened by ISIS? WHAT have we ever won attempting to fight someone else's fight as we did in Vietnam and Iraq?

Old 07-21-2016, 10:36 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Its very obvious to anyone affiliated with the military. The only democrat that I can even stomach is Jim Webb (retired admiral)
I was excited at the thought of General Flynn as VP. But, Pence seems like a good choice too.
I liked Webb.

Quote:
Hillary will not do this. She has never been an advocate for military just like her husband.

Quote:
I will, my husband will and many family members and friends will be voting for Hillary.
I really hope she does not win the election. She is not an option for me and many others. It's literally between Trump and Johnson. I don't like either of them but there is a firm and loud hell no to Hillary.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Hillary will not do this. She has never been an advocate for military just like her husband.
Note my above post, I made damn clear to NOT NAME ANY political candidate because as I said, this isn't about the Presidency or this election.

It's about our Congress, because it is Congress, not the President who declares war.

It is also Congress who has to fix the beyond broken VA system before they declare war.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:41 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Note my above post, I made damn clear to NOT NAME ANY political candidate because as I said, this isn't about the Presidency or this election.

It's about our Congress, because it is Congress, not the President who declares war.

It is also Congress who has to fix the beyond broken VA system before they declare war.
But we can sure as hell get into some pretty damn bloody, taxpayer $$$ wasting 'police actions' with no declaration of war ever being issued by Congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections