Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 12:57 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,943,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
This was a unique PR opportunity for Trump to say...."I am honored that you want to give this media but you keep it because you have made the ultimate sacrifice for your country." Instead, this moron asks him if it's real? Has he ever heard of the Stolen Valor Act? You can't walk around with a fake Purple Heart. This guy is not smart enough to be be POTUS.
How are most people supposed to know that recipients of such an honor can't have a duplicate to wear when they go out? Regardless, "is it the real thing" is a roundabout way of saying "I can't believe you want me to have something so important".

Old 08-02-2016, 01:06 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,165,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
How are most people supposed to know that recipients of such an honor can't have a duplicate to wear when they go out? Regardless, "is it the real thing" is a roundabout way of saying "I can't believe you want me to have something so important".
A Purple Heart can only be issued by the United States Military. If you lose it or if it's stolen, you can request another Purple Heart. Everything else is a fake. Trump asked the Vet if his Purple Heart was real? That is an insult. He should have thanked the Vet for making the ultimate sacrifice and returned the medal. Instead, he asked a dumb question and said that he always wanted a Purple Heart. Who wants a Purple Heart? Does he know how one earns a Purple Heart? Jesus, this guy is worst than Caribou Barbie.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:12 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture View Post
According to trump, the guy tells him it's the real thing, not a replacement, right there in the vid in this thread... What's up with that?

0:17 -- "And I said to him -- is that the real one or is that a copy? And he said that's my real purple heart..."
Following Trump's statement, NBC reporter Katy Tur tweeted that she had spoken with Dorfman and that he said the medal he gave to Trump was a copy of the one awarded to him.

Read more: Trump: 'I always wanted to get the Purple Heart. This was much easier' - POLITICO
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

Old 08-02-2016, 01:13 PM

4,204 posts, read 2,343,087 times
I can't believe Trump actually put the purple heart in his pocket. He's really sick. Wow.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:19 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
He has absolutely no class at all. Someone should give him a shovel.

Donald Trump gifted Purple Heart, says he 'always wanted' one - CNNPolitics.com

Ashburn, Virginia (CNN) — A military veteran supporting Donald Trump gifted the Republican nominee his Purple Heart Tuesday, prompting Trump to say he "always wanted to get the Purple Heart" and this was "much easier" than serving in combat.

Purple Hearts are awarded to service members who suffer wounds in combat.

"Something very nice just happened to me. A man came up to me and handed me his Purple Heart," Trump told supporters at a campaign event here. "I said to him, 'Is that like the real one or is that a copy?' And he said, 'That's my real Purple Heart. I have such confidence in you.'"

Trump received the veteran on stage at the start of the rally to receive the decoration.

"I always wanted to get the Purple Heart. This was much easier," Trump said.
Yes, it is much easier to avoid service and just have one handed to you un-earned. He got five deferments to avoid serving in Vietnam.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:30 PM

4,204 posts, read 2,343,087 times
The media better not let this slide. 24/7 Trump coverage is totally hurting Clinton.

Media should not give trump another free pass on this purple heart story.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:32 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,943,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
A Purple Heart can only be issued by the United States Military. If you lose it or if it's stolen, you can request another Purple Heart. Everything else is a fake. Trump asked the Vet if his Purple Heart was real? That is an insult. He should have thanked the Vet for making the ultimate sacrifice and returned the medal. Instead, he asked a dumb question and said that he always wanted a Purple Heart. Who wants a Purple Heart? Does he know how one earns a Purple Heart? Jesus, this guy is worst than Caribou Barbie.
Like I said "is it real" is basically saying "I'm shocked". It would be like the president coming up to you and saying here's a check for $20,000 - a common response might be ":smile: is it real!?!" Regardless, I think you know this, but I understand that politics requires spin.

What's wrong with wanting a Purple Heart? Sure it means the person giving it had to be injured, but it also means they're often selfless, honorable, courageous and brave soldiers - that's the type of person everyone should want to be.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Accepting the Purple Heart from a fan is one thing but making the comment he did about it on stage was terrible, gross and unacceptable to those who actually earned one for heroism. He should have just thanked him privately and ignored the opportunity to stick his foot in his mouth once again.
Trump uses EVERYTHING to promote himself. Being handed a Purple Heart must have delighted him. He got the opportunity to say, "Look what I got.....aren't I special!"

Meanwhile....... there are thousands of men and women who have received it because they served our country and were wounded in combat who wouldn't think of holding it up and bragging about it.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:39 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:
Like I said "is it real" is basically saying "I'm shocked". It would be like the president coming up to you and saying here's a check for $20,000 - a common response might be ":smile: is it real!?!" Regardless, I think you know this, but I understand that politics requires spin.

What's wrong with wanting a Purple Heart? Sure it means the person giving it had to be injured, but it also means they're often selfless, honorable, courageous and brave soldiers - that's the type of person everyone should want to be.
If Trump always wanted a Purple Heart he could have gone in the service and EARNED one or encouraged his kids to go in the service and EARN one. A Purple Heart isn't just a piece of memorabilia that rich old guys can collect, it's what they symbolize that is important. And I don't want to see someone post about his bone spur as an excuse for him not going in the service. They can be removed easily and after a few months you're as good as new.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:

NO service member "wants" a Purple Heart.

The people who want a Purple Heart are memorabilia collectors. Trump's office is full of sports memorabilia. He must be giddy with excitement that he has a Purple Heart to add to his collection.

p.s. Trump had no interest in being a selfless honorable, courageous, brave soldier. He did not enlist. When his student deferments ran out he made sure the draft board knew he had an ouchy on his foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections