Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2016, 08:06 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
How do you know he kept it?
He didn't return it.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:39 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
When I saw that video I found it very disturbing. Here was a veteran, who thought so much of Trump that he gave him his Purple Heart, and Trump treated it like a baseball card. Yes, he did say it was a nice thing to do, but he was very cold about it and blase'.

What he should have done, IMO, was to thank the man sincerely, and then say "You are the man who earned and deserved this metal, not me, so, as much as I love what you just did, I have to give it back to it's rightful owner. Please keep it forever, and just know how much this kind gesture meant to me, I will always remember this."

That would have been the correct, classy way to handle it..........but we are talking about Donald Trump, so that would not happen.

Don

Old 08-02-2016, 08:42 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
They just showed a clip on CNN of Khan's father saying that Trump should return that Purple Heart to the man who gave it to him. Trump didn't EARN IT!!

The Khans are going to keep scoring and scoring against Trump until he gives them a proper apology.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:45 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Trump - DRAFT DODGER- He had a bad toe. Boohoo. Trump is a coward. He enjoyed hiding in the riches of America while 70,000 brave Americans died in Nam.
Many vets were awarded the Purple Heart for their bravery in action. Now Trump insults all veterans with his statement that went something like, 'I always wanted a Purple Heart and now I have one and I didn't have to do anything for it.' What a disgrace! I cannot imagine that one vet will vote for him.
I know our country needs change but Trump is not the way. I dislike Clinton almost as much as Trump. It is clear that America needs a new political party. Perhaps a real leader will emerge.
My other half has two Purple Hearts (Vietnam). He said it was a disgrace to hand over that medal to that person.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:49 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I see one good man giving another good man a purple heart. Nothing more or less.
But your first good man passed your second good man a fake - not the real one.

https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/statu...97653109125120

Old 08-02-2016, 08:54 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,943,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
What does data have to do with this? Do you need statistics to demonstrate basic human decency? What is the median value for doing the right thing? Do you want polling data for common sense?

Trump does not deserve that medal. The right thing to do would have been to honor that veteran for his sacrifice and returned it to him. Sorry I don't have any numbers to feed you.
You are making a claim about what basic human decency is - a totally subjective matter. Are you incapable of understand that your idea of decency may not be the same for everyone? You simply don't know how the average politician would respond. You are armchair quarterbacking the words of other using your opinion of what constitutes "human decency". Yawn.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
My other half has two Purple Hearts (Vietnam). He said it was a disgrace to hand over that medal to that person.
His opinion - nothing more. Hasn't the recipient of a Purple Heart earned the right to give his metal to who he wants how he wants? Why would anyone try to boss around a hero.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
They just showed a clip on CNN of Khan's father saying that Trump should return that Purple Heart to the man who gave it to him. Trump didn't EARN IT!!

The Khans are going to keep scoring and scoring against Trump until he gives them a proper apology.
The Khan's have no right to tell a hero what to do with his metal. They are overstepping their bounds.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:02 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,744,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
When I saw that video I found it very disturbing. Here was a veteran, who thought so much of Trump that he gave him his Purple Heart, and Trump treated it like a baseball card. Yes, he did say it was a nice thing to do, but he was very cold about it and blase'.

What he should have done, IMO, was to thank the man sincerely, and then say "You are the man who earned and deserved this metal, not me, so, as much as I love what you just did, I have to give it back to it's rightful owner. Please keep it forever, and just know how much this kind gesture meant to me, I will always remember this."

That would have been the correct, classy way to handle it..........but we are talking about Donald Trump, so that would not happen.

Don
Yep.
He should not have accepted it and should have said something like you suggested. He is so insensitive and emotionally dimm it's just shocking. But what's more shocking is that so many people find his behaviour acceptable. What the h*** has happened to people in this country? The lack of grace and kindness is really sad and disturbing to many of us who aren't necessarily old but aren't so young that we didn't learn manners at the very least.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:03 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
The Khan's have no right to tell a hero what to do with his metal. They are overstepping their bounds.
Yeah, you're right. Who are these uppity Muslims to have an opinion or right to free speech ? When Trump gets in, we are going to have to do something about this "free speech" thing.....it annoys him.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections