Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 10:05 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,121,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Obama sent lawyers to fight against gay rights, in court cases like DADT.. You can ignore these FACTS but that doesnt make it so. saying something and then doing another.. contradicts one another.
Funny, Obama signed a repeal of DADT into law in December 2010 . . . . . What were you saying about facts again?

Mick

Old 08-17-2016, 10:50 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,981,123 times
Elizabeth Warren supporters never got the memo. But they tolerate them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THz8RlkrQPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJIUxBMXyQQ

Old 08-17-2016, 11:12 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Both Trump and Clinton were relatively in the same place on this. Neither was really against LGBTQ people and supported general social equality. Where they both drew the line was with "marriage". Remember, Bill signed DOMA and Hillary supported that decision and the traditional definition of marriage.

Now that marriage equality has become something that the majority of Americans support, Hillary came out in support of it and a broad equality platform. Her efforts to paint herself as someone who was always on that side have however, been roundly criticized, even by MSNBC.

Trump supports the traditional definition of marriage and has vowed to pursue actions that would reverse the recent SCOTUS decision that legalized gay marriage. However, he is far more liberal when it comes to LGBTQ rights than the rest of the Republican party. He has rather bravely (for a Republican presidential candidate) spoken out against the actions of various states who are suing over who can use what bathroom.

Still, one needs to look at the parties and their platforms. There is no denying that Democrats are for more supportive of LGBTQ rights than are Republicans. However, the two candidates themselves aren't as far apart on the issues as many would have you believe. Frankly, as a former Republican I was rather happy to see Trump speak out in support of protecting LGBTQ Americans and supporting equal rights. Though he received the expected half applause, half boos from the crowd.
It is also worth recalling that from January 2009 to February 2013, Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State. Secretaries of State divorce themselves entirely from domestic politics. Did Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice ever wade into the issue of abortion in the United States? No. Did Secretary of State Colin Powell ever involve himself in the debates over gun control or tax cuts? No. They've discussed those issues at other times. But not when they were at State.

So once Clinton took her post at State, her public positions on domestic issues were effectively frozen.

Now, was there some political expediency at play? Absolutely. I expect nothing less than for politicians - representatives of the public - to have views that change somewhat over time in response to shifting beliefs of their constituents. But then, when I cast a vote I treat it like I'm hiring someone for a job, not like I'm applying for membership in my idol's fan-club. Her positions haven't changed radically (unlike Trump, who basically went from being a disinterested liberal to being 'so conservative it'll make your head spin!').

Old 08-17-2016, 11:16 AM

1,268 posts, read 798,932 times
Are republicans now claiming a pro gay rights stance? Is that only on this forum? The platform adopted at Cinnamon Hitler's convention doesn't reflect this.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:32 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
Because she's always been one (at leat bi) and has waited to see if it would affect her polls. Bill doesn't care. He was probably too stoned to look too closely at what he married...could have been a man for all he cared, and by the looks of what he ended up with....

Old 08-17-2016, 11:41 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,629,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
Are republicans now claiming a pro gay rights stance? Is that only on this forum? The platform adopted at Cinnamon Hitler's convention doesn't reflect this.
Yes! Just like Trump took up the pro black cause last night in Milwaukee !
cough!
cough!
sorry !......West Bend!

Old 08-17-2016, 11:44 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I think only since the last few years does she proclaim that she is pro LGBT and their rights. But wasn't Bill Clinton pro gay? He even signed some important document back then.That would have been weird if she was against gay marriage in the 90s.
Your claim is bogus. It is some kind of Republican talking point.

The Clintons have been pro-gay rights and have had many gay friends since the 1980's.

May I suggest you pick up a copy of Victory: The Triumphant Gay Revolution (2012) by Linda Hirschman, a heterosexual award-winning and distinguished journalist?

Old 08-17-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Yes indeed.

I was about to post that she was waiting for it to become politically expedient.

If it wasn't she would be saying the opposite.
Nonsense.

Totally bogus Republican partisan talking point.

Long before she herself entered politics there is a long documented history of Hillary's sympathetic positions regarding gay people and gay rights.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The Democrats, even Obama himself opposed gay marriage.. up until the courts ruled it was unconstitutional, then they ran around putting rainbow colored lights on the White House, and everyone forgot, they opposed gay marriage.

It was an amazing feat of PR.. and hypocrisy..
You cannot distinguish between GAY RIGHTS and MARRIAGE EQUALITY.

Many people were in favor of equality, civil rights and justice for the LGBT Community ... but had qualms about the legalization of same sex marriage. I guess that's a concept some people have difficulty understanding.

Both Obama and the Clintons have a history of supporting gay rights.

Capiche?

Old 08-17-2016, 12:34 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Because it just recently became socially cool to be gay and it's the flavor group of the year and there are votes there.
Reminds me of a gay friend who is now in his 60s. I recently told someone he was gay before it was cool (late 1960s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.