Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 09:25 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,607,867 times

Advertisements

If Democrats were smart, they would run a white male in the 2020 Presidential election. The current gripe among middle Americans with the Democratic Party is that it too often plays identity politics, often in favor of the minority. This has killed the Democratic Party's chances (at least in the present) with the white working class, which was apparent in this election (Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc.).

Democrats NEED to prove, and quickly, that they are not an enemy of the white working class. I could not believe how quickly Tim Ryan (a young, white, well-spoken Democratic representative from the Youngstown, OH area) was passed over for House Minority Leader for Nancy Pelosi. Tim Ryan is the kind of guy that Democrats need in SOME kind of leadership position to grow the party with the white working class.

Joe Biden could have won this election. He has the charm, personality, and background to appeal to these disaffected former Democrats. Tim Kaine may actually be a strong candidate in 2020, but I feel that he will be passed over simply for being a white male.

Over the past 8 or so years, Democrats have taken identity politics to the extreme. The losses in all levels of government for Democrats during the Obama years are staggering (from local to federal). There needs to be a realignment in Democratic strategy, and playing the same games will not help. Trump, perhaps the most unappealing candidate to both women and minorities and decades, won over the first female nominee. Americans, including women and minorities, are obviously not buying into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 09:33 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
If Democrats were smart, they would run a white male in the 2020 Presidential election. The current gripe among middle Americans with the Democratic Party is that it too often plays identity politics, often in favor of the minority. This has killed the Democratic Party's chances (at least in the present) with the white working class, which was apparent in this election (Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc.).

Democrats NEED to prove, and quickly, that they are not an enemy of the white working class. I could not believe how quickly Tim Ryan (a young, white, well-spoken Democratic representative from the Youngstown, OH area) was passed over for House Minority Leader for Nancy Pelosi. Tim Ryan is the kind of guy that Democrats need in SOME kind of leadership position to grow the party with the white working class.

Joe Biden could have won this election. He has the charm, personality, and background to appeal to these disaffected former Democrats. Tim Kaine may actually be a strong candidate in 2020, but I feel that he will be passed over simply for being a white male.

Over the past 8 or so years, Democrats have taken identity politics to the extreme. The losses in all levels of government for Democrats during the Obama years are staggering (from local to federal). There needs to be a realignment in Democratic strategy, and playing the same games will not help. Trump, perhaps the most unappealing candidate to both women and minorities and decades, won over the first female nominee. Americans, including women and minorities, are obviously not buying into it.
I don't know that they would actively look for a "white candidate" just like I don't think they were looking for President Obama when he came up. What people don't seem to remember is that in 2004, no one expected President Obama in 2008, not even Democrats. That being said, after watching the way women attacked a female candidate this election, maybe a male is a better way to go. Women are simply not ready to look at a female candidate without judging her looks, weight, hair, age, etc. and they do this with no self awareness whatsoever. So sure, a white male candidate would be fine, absolutely. But I won't pretend we can predict who will look good in 2019. Yes, I would have voted for Joe Biden, that's an easy one because I like Joe Biden so much.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:36 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,607,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I don't know that they would actively look for a "white candidate" just like I don't think they were looking for President Obama when he came up. What people don't seem to remember is that in 2004, no one expected President Obama in 2008, not even Democrats. That being said, after watching the way women attacked a female candidate this election, maybe a male is a better way to go. Women are simply not ready to look at a female candidate without judging her looks, weight, hair, age, etc. and they do this with no self awareness whatsoever. So sure, a white male candidate would be fine, absolutely. But I won't pretend we can predict who will look good in 2019. Yes, I would have voted for Joe Biden, that's an easy one because I like Joe Biden so much.
Same here. I'm a Republican who would have considered voting for him over Trump. I like his old-school style and affectionate personality.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:43 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
No, democrats have abandoned white people and men in particular. They are looking for a woman and she can't be white. If they could find a good smooth talking transgender they might go that way but nothing on the horizon there, yet. They have a serious problem finding anyone without a change in the disastrous direction they want the country to go in.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:08 PM

13,755 posts, read 8,014,399 times
No. They need a 90% plus black vote along with a strong turnout.

However, without a black on the ticket can't see this happening. Keith Ellison is likely being groomed for a future run at the top spot.

My guess is the Dem party is also thinking of ways to convince Michelle Obama to get into politics.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
No. They need a 90% plus black vote along with a strong turnout.

However, without a black on the ticket can't see this happening.

My guess is the Dem party is already thinking of ways to convince Michelle Obama to get into politics.
Trump won because of 70,000 votes combined in three states. That's it. He lost by 3 million votes overall. Democrats did foolishly believe the polls that said Hillary had it locked up. I doubt they will do that again. I would not be opposed to Michelle running but I seriously seriously doubt she has any interest at all and she would need to win the primary. Democrats will not be interested in who is "due" anytime soon.

And lest Republicans think they are any different, I've seen numerous suggestions that the entire Trump family could hold the presidency for the next 20 years including Ivanka. For all the Republican complaints, they appear to have elected their own Obama and are talking about their own dynasty.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:36 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,100,407 times
Democrats should run a woman, it's their thing. They could run Rachel Maddow in 2020. She like Trump has no government experience. Hillary could run again, some oil, four years to charge her battery, and she may be able to make it to nearly September prior to collapsing. After 2020, if Maddow loses, maybe fake Indians like Elizabeth Warren. Fake Indians do well at Harvard and other Democrat havens.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:37 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
Quote:
Trump won because of 70,000 votes combined in three states. That's it. He lost by 3 million votes overall. Democrats did foolishly believe the polls that said Hillary had it locked up. I doubt they will do that again. I would not be opposed to Michelle running but I seriously seriously doubt she has any interest at all and she would need to win the primary. Democrats will not be interested in who is "due" anytime soon.

And lest Republicans think they are any different, I've seen numerous suggestions that the entire Trump family could hold the presidency for the next 20 years including Ivanka. For all the Republican complaints, they appear to have elected their own Obama and are talking about their own dynasty.
Until CA and NY are audited to identify the extent of Democrat voter fraud, there is no way of knowing who won the popular vote.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:48 PM

13,755 posts, read 8,014,399 times
Quote:
Trump won because of 70,000 votes combined in three states. That's it.
But he won. And what helped him win those three states by a slim margin was the % of black vote he picked off as well as the black voters who stayed home.

It was a slim margin he likely wouldn't have received had Michelle Obama had been the VP pick.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Democrats should run a woman, it's their thing. They could run Rachel Maddow in 2020. She like Trump has no government experience. Hillary could run again, some oil, four years to charge her battery, and she may be able to make it to nearly September prior to collapsing. After 2020, if Maddow loses, maybe fake Indians like Elizabeth Warren. Fake Indians do well at Harvard and other Democrat havens.
See previous response on female candidates. I really like Rachel Maddow, very smart, very entertaining and honestly, very educational. After Fukishima she gave lessons on nuclear reactor fuel rods (she's a PhD and Rhodes Scholar) on her show. But women are not ready to support a female candidate, they are so busy attacking a woman's looks, weight, age, dress, hair, etc. that the man climbs right over them. Maybe in a generation or two we will see a woman. Maybe. President Obama had his challenges, the birth certificate, etc. but men did not say he had cankles. It appears we would sooner see another black male president than a woman simply due to female vanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections