Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Trump be primaried in 2020?
I support Trump and don't think he will be primaried 18 25.00%
I support Trump and think he will be primaried 12 16.67%
I do not support Trump and don't think he will be primaried 12 16.67%
I do not support Trump and think he will be primaried 25 34.72%
Other 5 6.94%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 07:34 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My husband and daughter's MIL are life long Republicans. Both went Third Party because they did not like Trump. If Trump wins the Primary (no challengers?), he will have a Presidential record this time for voters to decide on.
I'm a lifelong Republican, and did not vote for Trump (wrote in Evan McMullin). But if the election were today, I would certainly vote for him. Not that it really matters here in true blue WA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 08:04 PM

31,064 posts, read 22,086,243 times
As we end up finding out there was no Russian Collusion, Trump will gain more popularity. Not because he is so great, but because the system is so corrupt, and they are All working against him: The News media, the Democrats, Hollywood, and even Republicans. I doubt the Democrats can field anyone worth a darn, and the Republicans will go with whoever is most popular, which will be Trump.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:46 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
As we end up finding out there was no Russian Collusion, Trump will gain more popularity. Not because he is so great, but because the system is so corrupt, and they are All working against him: The News media, the Democrats, Hollywood, and even Republicans. I doubt the Democrats can field anyone worth a darn, and the Republicans will go with whoever is most popular, which will be Trump.
Remember, the GOP efforts to impeach Clinton generally blew up in their faces. It helped lose the election for Bob Dole in 1996.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:53 PM

31,064 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Remember, the GOP efforts to impeach Clinton generally blew up in their faces. It helped lose the election for Bob Dole in 1996.
Yep, I voted for Clinton twice, looking back I wonder if I would do it again. He was definitely more moderate at that time then Dems today, and he didn't free Terrorists as Obama did.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:11 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
And I'm sorry to say, not a woman. If Republicans want to prove they aren't completely misogynist, let them nominate and elect a woman (they won't). Since women don't care if a woman is never president, we shouldn't waste another election trying. Obama was unique and blacks came out for him. Women have shown they will not do that. Democrats need to just focus on nominating a white guy. Icing on the cake would be if the guy was rich or good looking, both of which seem to intimidate Trump.
OK. So lets say there is an election where Condoleezza Rice is running against Joe Biden.

If democrats vote for Joe Biden, does that make them completely misogynist?

And...

Should women vote for Rice because she is a woman?

If the answer is “no” to either of these questions, then you are completely full of crap.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:23 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
Quote:
Was the discussion of Clinton Impeachment going on during the 1996 campaign? I don't recall. I know that there wasn't any legal movement on it until 1998.

I'm pretty sure the key reason Clinton got re-elected in 1996 was the economy. Exit polls from 1996 seemed to show that it was generally considered that the economy was in "good to excellent shape" and how most people felt their finances were better under Clinton than the previous Bush administration.

I think those two points right there are going to be Trump's strongest argument in 2020 if nothing changes. A strong economy can make a lot of people look the other way on a candidate's faults.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:24 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Yep, we have heard that before. MAGA
There is no maga. It's all about Trump and his ratings not about our country. He still thinks he's on the apprentice

Old 05-14-2018, 06:24 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:

Not true. The Clinton impeachment drama didn't really get underway until 1998 when Monica Lewinsky became a household name. In essence, it was this that lost the 2000 election for Al Gore and gave us George W. Bush. The Clinton impeachment drama really mobilized evangelical voters for Bush. People wanted a return to "family values."

Old 05-14-2018, 06:29 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Not true. The Clinton impeachment drama didn't really get underway until 1998 when Monica Lewinsky became a household name. In essence, it was this that lost the 2000 election for Al Gore and gave us George W. Bush. The Clinton impeachment drama really mobilized evangelical voters for Bush. People wanted a return to "family values."
Except of course that Al Gore got more votes than George W. Bush. It was the screwed up Florida ballots and the Supreme Court that gave us George W. Bush, with a little help from Ralph Nader. Now of course, Al Gore could have gotten even more votes than he did, and made the rest of it a non-issue, but this country has a tendency in favor of changing the party in power after a two term president. And Al Gore is certainly not the charismatic campaigner that Clinton was. And for that matter, W. was a lot more personable too.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:03 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,340,554 times
Yes, I think there will be an establishment Republican swamp creature who will attempt to primary Trump. I don't think they'll get very far and Trump will easily win both the Republican nomination and a second term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections