Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2018, 07:00 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Because I can and because Beto is a stupid name to adopt even if it does gain you some Spanish support.
Why do you care so much about a nickname his parents/grandparents gave him as a child?

How about you climb in your time machine and go back and tell his four-year old self how you feel?
Better yet, tell his parents they have no business calling their child what they want to call him.

Sounds ridiculous right?

Just like you harping on it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
If there's anything that Ted Cruz does extremely well, it's debate people on politics. You may blindly dislike Ted Cruz for various reasons with or without merit but you'd have to be a complete idiot to think that he is scared or worried about debating Roberto, that's Ted Cruz's biggest strong point.
So why the delay then?

One would think that Cruz would have jumped at the offer to show off those skills, defend his record and wipe the floor with this upstart.

And yet...

Old 08-27-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
O'Rourke holds moment of silence & praises John McCain in Dallas town hall

“There are decisions that he’s made — votes that he’s cast that you may or may not agree with — but at the end of the day, before he was a Republican and you were a Democrat, before he was a Republican and you were an Independent, before either of us cared about party, he was an American and he was a hero,”

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...efore-he-was-a
Beautiful statement.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:44 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
New Emerson Poll released Monday 8/27. Cruz 38% O'Rourke 37%.

https://www.emerson.edu/sites/defaul...aug2018-pr.pdf

Old 08-27-2018, 12:48 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Robert's "townhall" events are heavily controlled and purposely filled with his most open supporters, he's consistently refused to answer difficult questions from opponents and he's going to end up looking like a complete fool when he debates Ted Cruz. Robert is a smooth talker but lacks substance, he's the perfect democrat.
Rafael is out of practice, for a Canadian Cuban carpetbagger.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:51 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
And stories out that Trump refused to put out any positive statement from the WH about McCain --
still the petulant child
That is why his tweet only referred to the family...
In fact, the US flag at the WH is back to full staff
The Capitol flag is half-mast...
“My deepest sympathies and respect go out to the family of Senator John McCain. Our hearts and prayers are with you!”

That sounds fairly positive to me, maybe I'm just a realist.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Ok Ted will be screaming “baby killer”, “same -sex loving librul”, “heathen”. Cruz can’t win on likeability, on a likeable POTUS’s coattails or on deeds that he’s accomplished for his constituents. So, he will attempt to win the debate by name calling and pettiness.
For the last time, he has been called Beto since childhood in a very predominantly Mex-American community. That nickname is not considered to be a pejorative in those circumstances like it is in Ted Cruz’ circles and party.
Ted Cruz is a very skilled debater and even most people on the left agree with that, he won't be screaming anything. Have you ever seen Ted Cruz in a debate?

Old 08-27-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
“My deepest sympathies and respect go out to the family of Senator John McCain. Our hearts and prayers are with you!”

That sounds fairly positive to me, maybe I'm just a realist.
Well it's the bare minimum.

Here's what the past two presidents said, and compare and contrast.

"John McCain and I were members of different generations, came from completely different backgrounds, and competed at the highest level of politics. But we shared, for all our differences, a fidelity to something higher – the ideals for which generations of Americans and immigrants alike have fought, marched, and sacrificed," Obama said in a statement.
"We saw our political battles, even, as a privilege, something noble, an opportunity to serve as stewards of those high ideals at home, and to advance them around the world. We saw this country as a place where anything is possible – and citizenship as our patriotic obligation to ensure it forever remains that way," he said.
"Few of us have been tested the way John once was, or required to show the kind of courage that he did. But all of us can aspire to the courage to put the greater good above our own," Obama continued. "At John’s best, he showed us what that means. And for that, we are all in his debt. Michelle and I send our most heartfelt condolences to Cindy and their family."

Former President George W. Bush, who also served as a political opponent of McCain during the 2000 GOP primary election, also lauded his career serving the U.S., first in the military and war, and second in the U.S. Congress.
"Some lives are so vivid, it is difficult to imagine them ended. Some voices are so vibrant, it is hard to think of them stilled. John McCain was a man of deep conviction and a patriot of the highest order," the 43rd president said. "He was a public servant in the finest traditions of our country. And to me, he was a friend whom I'll deeply miss. Laura and I send our heartfelt sympathies to Cindy and the entire McCain family, and our thanks to God for the life of John McCain."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ll-in-his-debt

Old 08-27-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Ted Cruz is a very skilled debater and even most people on the left agree with that, he won't be screaming anything. Have you ever seen Ted Cruz in a debate?
His biggest challenge is going to be not coming off like a Harvard intellectual (which he is, and not an insult) and be seen talking over the issues and electorate. Beto has folksy down to a fine art, and that's going to go a long way. Cruz is very polished, and I don't know how well that will fly in deep East and West Texas.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Why do you care so much about a nickname his parents/grandparents gave him as a child?

How about you climb in your time machine and go back and tell his four-year old self how you feel?
Better yet, tell his parents they have no business calling their child what they want to call him.

Sounds ridiculous right?

Just like you harping on it now.
I'm not harping on anything and I don't care, you're making this a big deal when it's not. I can call Robert whatever I like, the left has been calling Ted Cruz "Rafael" for years so the return is fair play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections