Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Voting for Beto or Cruz?
Beto 67 41.61%
Cruz 89 55.28%
Neither-waiting for magical unicorn to run 5 3.11%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 07:14 AM

949 posts, read 572,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
It is definitely pandering in both cases. The difference for me is that while Cruz is trying to make himself seem more white with "Ted", he actually is a white guy that also happens to be Hispanic.

O'Rourke took a Hispanic nickname to get people to think he's Hispanic when he is really (presumably) Irish. In other words, there was some truth in Cruz's pandering whereas there is none with O'Rourke.

It tells you how moronic our system of governance is when our representatives have to take fake names to bamboozle constituents into voting for them.
Names have been used for this purpose forever. How about faking credit, credentials or experience?
Those should be firing squad offenses.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:49 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,627,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
In High school my Hispanic friends called me "Cholo" as a joke, I don't think that would score me any political points tho
They called me 'Ruco' when I was working in a restaurant, because I worked there for so long (five years?). Again, not a vote-getter .

Old 09-14-2018, 09:03 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I hope Democrats continue to throw money at O'Rourke's doomed candidacy. It keeps them from spending money where it might be more effective.
I have and, will continue to do so

Old 09-14-2018, 09:11 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,771,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Yeah, I figured out what Beto is short for. Regardless of how long he had that nickname, some dude with the whitest name ever would have a hard time winning a primary in the El Paso area against someone with a Hispanic name.

He's banking on a certain proportion of voters thinking he is at least half Hispanic. Notice the yard signs only say Beto and not O'Rourke. He's clearly trying to down play his last name so uninformed voters see a sign and think he's something he isn't. If you don't think this is part of the strategy, then you have an unhealthy trust in the sleazeballs that are ALL federal politicians.

And for the record, I don't like Cruz either. There's something about him that makes my skin crawl. He's creepy and I bet he has huge skeletons in his closet. Then there is establishment shill Cornyn. They are all clowns and putting any kind of faith in them is foolish.
My exact sentiments per verbatim.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:52 AM

949 posts, read 572,323 times
I worked with a guy named Juan Chen, a Chinese Panamanian. His dad was Chinese and moved to work on the canal and he ended up here to graduating from UT here in Austin. I wonder what he would use if he were to run for office? It was interesting seeing a Chinese man speak fluent Spanish.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:03 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,124,129 times
Funnt thing is, my son graduated from high school two years ago. After playing football, he was on the soccer team. The soccer team was 100% Hispanic, EXCEPT for my son. Guess what all the Hispanic teammates called him? THE GRINGO.

To his and our credit, we never made any fuss. We did not call the Houston Chronical, Channel 2 news, or the Justice Department to launch an investigation or levy any complaints.

I wonder what would have happened if an all white high school sports team was calling a single Hispanic player "brownie" or such? The team would have been disbanded, RACISM charges would have been screamed, and CNN news crews would be on the way.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:06 PM

502 posts, read 391,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
I worked with a guy named Juan Chen, a Chinese Panamanian. His dad was Chinese and moved to work on the canal and he ended up here to graduating from UT here in Austin. I wonder what he would use if he were to run for office? It was interesting seeing a Chinese man speak fluent Spanish.
Plenty of people like that in Latin America; Peru had a Japanese-Peruvian president named Alberto Fujimori.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:09 PM

502 posts, read 391,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
Funnt thing is, my son graduated from high school two years ago. After playing football, he was on the soccer team. The soccer team was 100% Hispanic, EXCEPT for my son. Guess what all the Hispanic teammates called him? THE GRINGO.

To his and our credit, we never made any fuss. We did not call the Houston Chronical, Channel 2 news, or the Justice Department to launch an investigation or levy any complaints.

I wonder what would have happened if an all white high school sports team was calling a single Hispanic player "brownie" or such? The team would have been disbanded, RACISM charges would have been screamed, and CNN news crews would be on the way.
Not really the same because gringo isn't a racial slur, it's similar to there being only one guy from Colombia on the team and they all call him Colombia or a guy from Peru and they call him inca or something, these aren't racial slurs.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
Not really the same because gringo isn't a racial slur, it's similar to there being only one guy from Colombia on the team and they all call him Colombia or a guy from Peru and they call him inca or something, these aren't racial slurs.
You don't think so??

FAIL! LOL!

Old 09-14-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Cruz gives me the creeps and is too far right (or whatever the GOP currently is). Beto is too far left (but doesn't give me the creeps).
DUI. Breaking and entering...

Does Beto's Criminal Record "creep you out"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections