Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 03:41 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
No. He loses. If he was going against Cornyn and not Cruz, he wouldn't even be on the political radar. Here's the thing though. By having the Canadian, there's tens of extra millions of dollars for the state Democrats to find the next Beto to go against some big-for-his-britches R who takes his position for granted.

Even you can admit that if Cruz only wins by single digits, it's a disappointment.
If Cruz wins, he wins and I don't see how that could be disappointing for anyone except the skateboarding Irish guy who sweats a lot.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:43 PM

23,995 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Texans who are now screaming bloody murder about illegals forget that when John Cornyn was Texas AG, he ruled that the Matricular Consular cards could be used for legal id. That meant anybody who had one could open a bank account, get car loans and mortgages. That decision opened up another new market for the Cornyn's friends in the lending business.

I know one illegal who bought a house during the good times. The lender took it back during the crash. He got deported, got back in because his employer needed him. And, he got a loan to buy another house. Meanwhile he and his SO, parents of 4 kids are not married. The kids get free lunch because nobody verifies the applications. Welcome to Texas.

Whatever the establishment puts out about Beto, he cannot be any worse that the guys we send to DC now.

Cruz and Cornyn say what the Rs want to hear. Then screw them 7 ways from Sunday ever chance they get.

Don't re elect anybody.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:13 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,217,453 times
O'Rourke really is not fading. He has simply maxxed out Dem support for Texas while plenty of Rs are deciding to hold their nose and vote for Cruz. In the end there is no extra scoring for artistry, enthusiasm or degree of difficulty. So as long as you receive one more vote than your opponent you win regardless of style...

I see the same thing happening in Tennessee and probably New Jersey. The dominant parties have lackluster candidates but the party preference will carry the day.

To me this was always a race about narrowing the gap. If he keeps it within 5 that is major improvement for Dems and would be similar to Mark Warner giving John Warner a scare in Virginia twenty years ago. It foretold a shifting electorate. I think the Rs have proven smart enough to pay attention unlike the Clinton Camp that never seemed to grasp that states with R Governors and Senators would see fit to elect an R president one day.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:12 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
Debate tonight in San Antonio
CBS is carrying it on an Internet channel as well as my local CBS in DFW area

Re polls--
Many of the voters for Beto do not have landlines--
They have cell phones and I think it is much less likely that polling will get their input
So polls that only use landlines (the one I responded to was obviously Pro GOP and called my landline)...

I think the number of newly registered voters indicates that Dems are growing their support
NYTimes has story last week about strata of women in Dallas--young, previously GOP voters where often the husband is voting for Cruz and wife for Beto--
That is a new dynamic
They feel more in tune with Beto because he has better 'values" and they don't approve of the mysogyny coming from the evangelical movement
Likely they believe in a woman's right to choose--even if they choose not to favor abortion
The ones interviewed seemed college educated
So better educated than most rural GOP female voters
If they are the tip of a larger iceberg floating around w/o being caught by the polls
Then Cruz could have closer race than he anticipates
Cruz didn't think this would be a very close race at all
Likely Because Beto was from El Paso and didn't have name recognition of someone more widely known but Beto has put in the work and his ground level campaign has been diligent and hard working
More money from independent donors than any other candidate running I think
And now the lobbyists and entrenched political hacks that come out of the woodwork when money comes around are trying to get him to pass some of his money along to people like Donnelly or even Avenatti...like that is going to happen...

Last edited by loves2read; 10-16-2018 at 05:23 PM..

Old 10-16-2018, 05:21 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Let's revisit after debates and townhall (which I hope Beto is still doing).

Still got 3 weeks. Besides, nobody believes the polls right? White Castle Ted seems awfully nervous.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:38 PM

Yes--Chris Hayes played the White Castle ad--

And really the only Texans I know who eat those frozen White Castle burgers are from like Chicago...

Old 10-16-2018, 05:49 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
O'Rourke really is not fading. He has simply maxxed out Dem support for Texas while plenty of Rs are deciding to hold their nose and vote for Cruz. In the end there is no extra scoring for artistry, enthusiasm or degree of difficulty. So as long as you receive one more vote than your opponent you win regardless of style...

I see the same thing happening in Tennessee and probably New Jersey. The dominant parties have lackluster candidates but the party preference will carry the day.

To me this was always a race about narrowing the gap. If he keeps it within 5 that is major improvement for Dems and would be similar to Mark Warner giving John Warner a scare in Virginia twenty years ago. It foretold a shifting electorate. I think the Rs have proven smart enough to pay attention unlike the Clinton Camp that never seemed to grasp that states with R Governors and Senators would see fit to elect an R president one day.

Ted Cruz doesn't give a fluck about the people in Texas. Not one. He only cares about furthering his own, very elite, career.

I don't live in Texas but if I did - I would truly vote for an inanimate object before casting a vote for smarmy Ted. Ugh.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:03 PM

23,995 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Ted Cruz doesn't give a fluck about the people in Texas. Not one. He only cares about furthering his own, very elite, career.

I don't live in Texas but if I did - I would truly vote for an inanimate object before casting a vote for smarmy Ted. Ugh.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:15 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Debate tonight in San Antonio
CBS is carrying it on an Internet channel as well as my local CBS in DFW area

Re polls--
Many of the voters for Beto do not have landlines--
They have cell phones and I think it is much less likely that polling will get their input
So polls that only use landlines (the one I responded to was obviously Pro GOP and called my landline)...

I think the number of newly registered voters indicates that Dems are growing their support
NYTimes has story last week about strata of women in Dallas--young, previously GOP voters where often the husband is voting for Cruz and wife for Beto--
That is a new dynamic
They feel more in tune with Beto because he has better 'values" and they don't approve of the mysogyny coming from the evangelical movement
Likely they believe in a woman's right to choose--even if they choose not to favor abortion
The ones interviewed seemed college educated
So better educated than most rural GOP female voters
If they are the tip of a larger iceberg floating around w/o being caught by the polls
Then Cruz could have closer race than he anticipates
Cruz didn't think this would be a very close race at all
Likely Because Beto was from El Paso and didn't have name recognition of someone more widely known but Beto has put in the work and his ground level campaign has been diligent and hard working
More money from independent donors than any other candidate running I think
And now the lobbyists and entrenched political hacks that come out of the woodwork when money comes around are trying to get him to pass some of his money along to people like Donnelly or even Avenatti...like that is going to happen...
What polls use only landlines?

Old 10-16-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
What polls use only landlines?
You have to have the cell phone number to call it
It is not as easy to get cell phone numbers and make polling calls
Land line numbers are easier to get and more likely to be in homes with older residents
As I said my poll call came on my landline--not my cell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections