Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:57 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,876,338 times

Advertisements

Should a potential leader of a major country like the U.S. be openly prejudice? Doesn’t the Christian religion in America teach against hatred and prejudice? So would McCain not be a Christian or believe in the teachings? Would or should a nation of freedoms and diversities like America want and have a person of this type as a leader?

Old 04-09-2008, 02:06 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Should a potential leader of a major country like the U.S. be openly prejudice? Doesn’t the Christian religion in America teach against hatred and prejudice? So would McCain not be a Christian or believe in the teachings? Would or should a nation of freedoms and diversities like America want and have a person of this type as a leader?
Then in that case you wouldn't support Obama who belongs to a Church that openly discriminates...

I would look at it differently...should they? Who cares...it's up to the voters to decide. Can they be openly prejudiced? Sure...let the voters decide. He has a right to feel however he wants.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:08 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,582,560 times
Certainly it wasn't the best term to use, but it's unfair to not state that the context was in response to a question about the prison guards that held and brutally tortured him for years.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:23 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,324,902 times
I harbor no ill feeling toward Vietnamese people today. Most of them were born after the war ended.

But I hate the ones who tried to kill me and did succeed in killing some of my friends, both Americans and Vietnamese, during the time I was in combat there -- not to mention those who murdered and terrorized innocent villagers, kidnapped or blinded young men who refused to join the VC, killed livestock and burned crops and villages.

I witnessed these things -- but they are as nothing compared to what Mr. McCain experienced.

Those who would try to demean Mr. McCain with ex post facto political correctness are very likely people who have never confronted a turly ruthless enemy or served their country in any way.

Their opinion is worthless.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:26 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,772,201 times
Yes, the context is everything. My grandfather was a proud German-American. But when speaking of his time in WWII, the word "Kraut" flowed freely. Life went on.

If John McCain genuinely hated Vietnamese in general, yes, it would be something to challenge him on. But any fool knows the opposite is true. Indeed, McCain helped Bill Clinton normalize relations with Vietnam. He knew it was important for reconcilliation and that Clinton needed some political cover due to his sketchy draft status. Surely the man deserves credit for that?

Old 04-09-2008, 02:29 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,324,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
If John McCain genuinely hated Vietnamese in general, yes, it would be something to challenge him on. But any fool knows the opposite is true. Indeed, McCain helped Bill Clinton normalize relations with Vietnam.?
Any fool except the OP, apparently.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:35 PM

327 posts, read 755,090 times
I don't plan on voting for him, but I think he needs to be cut some slack here.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:43 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,213,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeet View Post
On Feb 18,2000, McCain said to reporters on his campaign bus "I hate the Go*ks, I will hate them as long as I live." He refused to retract the statement later.
Will that hurt him in the campaign?
It won't cost him any votes. By this I mean that anyone who would have been inclined to vote for him won't decide against doing so because of this comment.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:47 PM

269 posts, read 811,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Nope. At least he's being honest...isn't that what people want in a politician?
If he said "I hate white people"... Would we still want him?

Old 04-09-2008, 05:06 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,876,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Then in that case you wouldn't support Obama who belongs to a Church that openly discriminates...

I would look at it differently...should they? Who cares...it's up to the voters to decide. Can they be openly prejudiced? Sure...let the voters decide. He has a right to feel however he wants.

MamaBee
,,, I agree with you that voters will decide, and they (for the most part) are openly prejudice.

However what I’m talking about is not the voters but a potential leader of the country. Isn’t America about diversities? Isn’t the freedoms guaranteed in our constitution that all men are created equally? And that no citizen will be discriminated against? Isn’t our Bill of Rights and the Constitution held higher then having a potential president speak of hatred and prejudice? Our Nation is better then that and McCain should be if he is wanting to lead our country! I expect more from the people in leadership of this Nation, I would hope others would demand the same of them! We are the model of democracy and freedoms without discriminations ~ if we talk the talk we have to walk the walk.

As for Obama’s church and openly discriminates……… I don’t know anything about his church (and many others) and can’t comment on it. As for Obama,,,,, this topic is about McCain and his public comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections