Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 06:35 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,068,272 times

Advertisements

What church is and has he ever been a reverend of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Jackson and Sharpton know their days are numbered if Obama wins. There days of blame playing and claiming a leadership role they don't have is will be over and their pockets empty.
I'm sorry but I think this statement arises from a common misconception about the "Black community" and about "Black Leaders." I was listening to Al Sharpton's show today on XM Radio and he, possibly by accident, stated something that actually puts this entire issue into perspective. He basically said that Obama is not a civil rights leader.

I'm not sure he realised just how powerful a testament that was to Obama's image. In the past (perhaps up until the 1980s), Blacks could be said to have a "community" that consisted of a largely shared set of values and goals, and a common sense of being in a "struggle" against the dominant culture. As part of this, well-known people were identified as spokespersons for the "community" (e.g., Jackson and Sharpton). When each of them ran for president, they could be described as racial advocates/civil rights activists/Black leaders running for an office that would allow them a higher podium from which to continue their role as a leader in this "struggle."

Because Obama has the appearance of a Black man and self-identifies as African-American and is running for that same office, some people have viewed him in the same light. However, as Sharpton stated, Obama is not a civil rights activist. Furthermore, he has never proclaimed himself a "Black leader" who would finally bring a sense of social justice to African-Americans. Moreover, 21st century Blacks in the U.S. are so diverse in culture, that it is more difficult to continue describing our collective as "the black community."

I said all this to (finally) make this point: You're right in that Jackson and Sharpton no longer hold prominent positions as "leaders in the black community." However, I'm not sure either of them fears (or should fear) losing status to Obama, as he does not seek to continue, further, or take over anything either of them ever started. Obama is the current Democratic candidate for POTUS 2008, and just happens to be African-American. That is not to say that his ethnicity should be discounted. It just is not a platform on which he is running; nor does his ethnicity drive his stated political goals. This is one of the major differences between him and the Jackson-Sharpton types.

As for Jackson's derogatory remarks, he cut his own by remarking on the cutting of Obama's.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
I thnik Jackson is basically a has been leader along with sharpton. Their porblem is that they can't relate to anyone that is not blck;which puts them o the fringe of politics really. Obama doen't have to worry about waht jackson thinks because even with blacks he brought out more voters than anyone has been able to. Jackson and sharpton were two that at first opposed Obama because he was not from the civil rights leadership which they thought would be the first balck president. Then they saw him doing something they never could;so jumped on the bandwagon so to speak.Its all power and politics in the end.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:51 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,416,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I laughed my nuts off ... wait, I'm a gurl!

Now that was hilarious . . Thanks.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:31 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,068,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voneal View Post
I'm sorry but I think this statement arises from a common misconception about the "Black community" and about "Black Leaders." I was listening to Al Sharpton's show today on XM Radio and he, possibly by accident, stated something that actually puts this entire issue into perspective. He basically said that Obama is not a civil rights leader.

I'm not sure he realised just how powerful a testament that was to Obama's image. In the past (perhaps up until the 1980s), Blacks could be said to have a "community" that consisted of a largely shared set of values and goals, and a common sense of being in a "struggle" against the dominant culture. As part of this, well-known people were identified as spokespersons for the "community" (e.g., Jackson and Sharpton). When each of them ran for president, they could be described as racial advocates/civil rights activists/Black leaders running for an office that would allow them a higher podium from which to continue their role as a leader in this "struggle."

Because Obama has the appearance of a Black man and self-identifies as African-American and is running for that same office, some people have viewed him in the same light. However, as Sharpton stated, Obama is not a civil rights activist. Furthermore, he has never proclaimed himself a "Black leader" who would finally bring a sense of social justice to African-Americans. Moreover, 21st century Blacks in the U.S. are so diverse in culture, that it is more difficult to continue describing our collective as "the black community."

I said all this to (finally) make this point: You're right in that Jackson and Sharpton no longer hold prominent positions as "leaders in the black community." However, I'm not sure either of them fears (or should fear) losing status to Obama, as he does not seek to continue, further, or take over anything either of them ever started. Obama is the current Democratic candidate for POTUS 2008, and just happens to be African-American. That is not to say that his ethnicity should be discounted. It just is not a platform on which he is running; nor does his ethnicity drive his stated political goals. This is one of the major differences between him and the Jackson-Sharpton types.

As for Jackson's derogatory remarks, he cut his own by remarking on the cutting of Obama's.
I agree with your points and would say that Obama is exposing this to the nation and thus the need for Jackson and Sharpton as spokespersons is going bye bye.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:48 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,544,634 times
Quote:
I agree with your points and would say that Obama is exposing this to the nation and thus the need for Jackson and Sharpton as spokespersons is going bye bye.
Jackson and Sharpton rightfully have established their social justice platform here in America and if their platform is social justice for their own people, so be it. If Obama is about change for all Americans, that is wonderful as well. We need to stop discrediting these men for the hard work that they all have done while being citizens here in America. They have done more than most of us will ever do or have had the desire to do. Like the newscaster mentioned this morning-all of this should play down within 24 hours and I think we have reached are limits talking about this unfortunate event.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:58 PM

7,962 posts, read 9,175,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Jackson and Sharpton rightfully have established their social justice platform here in America and if their platform is social justice for their own people, so be it. If Obama is about change for all Americans, that is wonderful as well. We need to stop discrediting these men for the hard work that they all have done while being citizens here in America. They have done more than most of us will ever do or have had the desire to do. Like the newscaster mentioned this morning-all of this should play down within 24 hours and I think we have reached are limits talking about this unfortunate event.
First, I'm not old enough to know the "young" Jesse Jackson and his association with MLK. Maybe he was useful back then.

I guess I see it from a different view. I've grown up in NY, and remember the old Hymietown comment. To me Sharpton is nothing but a scam artist. Both he and Jackson , to my view, are extortionists who blackmail companies into giving into their "charities".

I would be quite happy to see the professional demise of these charlatans. I guess I just haven't seen the hard work that you speak of. I've just seen them misleading people as being perpetual victims while they were lining their pockets.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:18 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,935,374 times
Quote:
What is satisfying is seeing that across the board both sides of the political aisle see this as affirmation that Jackson is a jerk.
I agree 100%! What is so sad is that it takes someone like Obama to get people to be brave enough to state the obvious, Jackson is a jerk and is only out for his 15 minutes of fame. I will have to say that one good thing will be that all these types, Jackson, Sharpton, etc.. will quickly become irrelevant is Obama is elected.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:23 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,935,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
What I really want to know is, what was on the rest of the tape?

I had a 3 hour car ride last night, so I popped O'Reilly on in my sat radio to hear this, and he said something to the effect of "And we are not out to get Mr. Jackson, we are not even playing the entire tape, which has much more damaging statements on it".

(Yes, I listened to O'Reilly, I took a long shower crying in the corner scrubbing myself w/ Brillo when I got home)
We all know you Obama supporters are closet O'Reilly listeners.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:27 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,385,042 times
Jesse Jackson says Obama talks down to blacks. Hey Jesse, he's talks down to everybody. Join the crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections