Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 09:24 AM

570 posts, read 1,583,445 times

Advertisements

Is Obama Legally Eligible to Serve as President?
I don't know.........................................BUT.. ..................

Here's a question for you . . .

SOME TIME AGO HILARY SAID SHE HAD SOMETHING ON OBAMA THAT WOULD CHANGE THE ELECTION AND THAT'S WHY SHE ONLY SUSPENDED HER QUEST FOR THE PRESIDENCY, WELL HERE IT IS.

This came from a USNA alumnus. It'll be interesting to see how the media handles this...

Barack Obama is not a legal U.S. natural-born citizen according to the law on the books at the time of his birth, which falls between December 24, 1952, to November 13, 1986. Federal Law requires that the office of President requires a natural-born citizen if the child was not born to two U.S. Citizen parents. This is what exempts John McCain, though he was born in the US Panama Canal Zone.

US Law very clearly states: '. . . If only one parent is a U.S. Citizen at the time of one's birth, that parent must have resided in the United States for minimum ten years, five of which must be after the age of 16.' Barack Obama's father was not a U.S. Citizen is a fact.

Obama's mother was only 18 when Obama was born. This means even though she had been a U.S. Citizen for 10 years, (or citizen of Hawaii being a territory), his mother fails the test for at-least-5-years- prior-to Barack Obama's birth, but-after-age-16.

In essence, Mother alone is not old enough to qualify her son for automatic U.S. Citizenship. At most, 2 years elapsed from his mother turning 16 to the time of Barack Obama's birth when she was 18. His mother would have needed to have been 16 + 5 = 21 years old at the time of Barack Obama's birth for him to be a natural-born citizen. Barack Obama was already 3 years old at the time his mother would have needed to be to allow him natural citizenship from his only U.S. Citizen parent. Obama should have been naturalized as a citizen . . .. but that would disqualify him from holding the office.

The Constitution clearly declares: Naturalized citizens are ineligible to hold the office of President. Though Barack Obama was sent back to Hawaii at age 10, any other information does not matter because his mother is the one who must fulfill the requirement to be a U.S. Citizen for 10 years prior to his birth on August 4, 1961, with 5 of those years being after age 16.

Further, Obama may have had to have remained in the USA for some time frame to protect any citizenship he might have had, rather than living in Indonesia. This is very clear cut and a glaring violation of U.S. Election law. I think the Governor Schwarzenegger of California should be very interested in discovering if Obama is allowed to be elected President without being a natural-born U.S. Citizen, since this would set a precedent. Stay tuned to your TV sets because I suspect some of this information will be leaking through over the next several days.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:30 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times
Obama was born in Hawaii. That makes him a citizen regardless of who or what his parents are.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:31 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,634 times
That topic has been beaten to death in this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...-hi-birth.html

Do you really think that Hillary would have let this go? Or McCain would let it go? Or any of their advisors? Or any of the other candidates? Or the powers that be who decide whether somebody is eligible to run for the office of the presidency? Candidates have been campaigning for over a year and now it's less than 4 months before the election. Don't you think this eligibility factor would have been noticed before now if it was a legitimate factor?

Old 07-13-2008, 09:35 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times
Here's a couple articles question McCain's eligibility. Actually, I think they both are probably eligible and this is getting old.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/11/us.../11mccain.html

SSRN-Why Senator John McCain Cannot Be President: Eleven Months and a Hundred Yards Short of Citizenship by Gabriel Chin

Old 07-13-2008, 09:42 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post

At most, 2 years elapsed from his mother turning 16 to the time of Barack Obama's birth when she was 18.
I'm sorry this comment confuses me. Doesn't it usually take 2 years to go from 16 years old to 18 years old? Am I reading this statement wrong? I will admit all the complex math in here like 16+5=21, made this post a little difficult for me to read...not because I don't understand math but because I laughed so hard my eyes begin to water. I can't believe there's another thread about this. This is like what the 800th one? We should merge them all together and make it stick at the top until we officially get an answer.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...-eligible.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...his-birth.html

Old 07-13-2008, 09:48 AM

486 posts, read 982,288 times
BORING.......He is the Democratic Presidential Candidate, clearly he is eligible. If you don't like him, don't vote for him.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:02 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,167 times
Quote:
SOME TIME AGO HILARY SAID SHE HAD SOMETHING ON OBAMA THAT WOULD CHANGE THE ELECTION AND THAT'S WHY SHE ONLY SUSPENDED HER QUEST FOR THE PRESIDENCY, WELL HERE IT IS.
Old news but I'm sure Hilary does still have something up her sleeve. Might not be a magic birth certificate, but your right we should wait and see.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:41 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
I don't know.........................................BUT.. ..................

Here's a question for you . . .

This came from a USNA alumnus. It'll be interesting to see how the media handles this...

Barack Obama is not a legal U.S. natural-born citizen according to the law on the books at the time of his birth, which falls between December 24, 1952, to November 13, 1986. Federal Law requires that the office of President requires a natural-born citizen if the child was not born to two U.S. Citizen parents. This is what exempts John McCain, though he was born in the US Panama Canal Zone.

US Law very clearly states: '. . . If only one parent is a U.S. Citizen at the time of one's birth, that parent must have resided in the United States for minimum ten years, five of which must be after the age of 16.' Barack Obama's father was not a U.S. Citizen is a fact.

Obama's mother was only 18 when Obama was born. This means even though she had been a U.S. Citizen for 10 years, (or citizen of Hawaii being a territory), his mother fails the test for at-least-5-years- prior-to Barack Obama's birth, but-after-age-16.

In essence, Mother alone is not old enough to qualify her son for automatic U.S. Citizenship. At most, 2 years elapsed from his mother turning 16 to the time of Barack Obama's birth when she was 18. His mother would have needed to have been 16 + 5 = 21 years old at the time of Barack Obama's birth for him to be a natural-born citizen. Barack Obama was already 3 years old at the time his mother would have needed to be to allow him natural citizenship from his only U.S. Citizen parent. Obama should have been naturalized as a citizen . . .. but that would disqualify him from holding the office.

The Constitution clearly declares: Naturalized citizens are ineligible to hold the office of President. Though Barack Obama was sent back to Hawaii at age 10, any other information does not matter because his mother is the one who must fulfill the requirement to be a U.S. Citizen for 10 years prior to his birth on August 4, 1961, with 5 of those years being after age 16.

Further, Obama may have had to have remained in the USA for some time frame to protect any citizenship he might have had, rather than living in Indonesia. This is very clear cut and a glaring violation of U.S. Election law. I think the Governor Schwarzenegger of California should be very interested in discovering if Obama is allowed to be elected President without being a natural-born U.S. Citizen, since this would set a precedent. Stay tuned to your TV sets because I suspect some of this information will be leaking through over the next several days.
This kind of stuff is an utterly stupid waste of cyberspace. Next please?

Old 07-13-2008, 10:47 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,328 times
Do you think hundreds of millions would be spent on a candidate who wasn't even eligible?

Kill this thread please.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:17 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
You could ask the US Citizenship and Immigration Service at 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections