Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 11:29 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Yeah, that's why I really don't mind your posts jamrquise....even though you're usually dead wrong. I do appreciate your humor.
LML is from Wisconsin, and I love cheese! Is this how this is supposed to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 11:31 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,853,502 times
if you can't smile, what's the point of living? plus, there is no such thing as a wrong opinion. you have yours, and I have mine. hopefully I lay on the sarcasm thick enough so people can recognize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Yeah, that's why I really don't mind your posts jamrquise....even though you're usually dead wrong. I do appreciate your humor.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 PM

I like you because I like the show "the office." plus, I lived in mountain top, PA for 4 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post

Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,524,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
the biggest common ground I can find with anyone, is humor. I have been blessed, and cursed, with sarcastic humor and I love to put a smile on the face of people, be them democrat or republican.
Now humor is a big one. Very important! I get a little worried here when sarcasm goes over people's heads, or attempts at humor are just wasted.

Granted, it can be hard to laugh when you are p***** off about a heated topic, but we are all just people, and communicating is a process...

Old 08-01-2008, 11:34 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post

Good one. In Wisconsin we love our cheese so much we even make cheesehead hats that we wear to our football games. Now THAT's loving cheese.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
if you can't smile, what's the point of living? plus, there is no such thing as a wrong opinion. you have yours, and I have mine. hopefully I lay on the sarcasm thick enough so people can recognize it.
Just wrong facts and faulty reasoning!

"never make a conclusion without valid, true and substantiated premises" That's my motto! And it works, I'm always right

Old 08-01-2008, 11:35 PM

I enjoy stirring the pot, I will admit that. but at the end of the day, whoever becomes president isn't all that important. people read too much into it. vote local people. that is the way to get your voice heard! I have never voted in a presidential election, and I think I will skip this one as well. no one worthy of my vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Now humor is a big one. Very important! I get a little worried here when sarcasm goes over people's heads, or attempts at humor are just wasted.

Granted, it can be hard to laugh when you are p***** off about a heated topic, but we are all just people, and communicating is a process...

Old 08-01-2008, 11:39 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times
Quote:
I enjoy stirring the pot, I will admit that. but at the end of the day, whoever becomes president isn't all that important. people read too much into it. vote local people. that is the way to get your voice heard! I have never voted in a presidential election, and I think I will skip this one as well. no one worthy of my vote.
I agree about the importance of voting local. I know you'd find it hard to believe but the local folks here have actually done me the honor of electing me to a local office back in the day and I know how hard I worked to accomplish the things they elected me to do and I know that, at the local level, you actually have to LISTEN to the people who voted for you.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:41 PM

Yeah, as far as electoral politics go, I can't really get behind the idea. Noone can represent me. Consensus is the way to go, small local groups (communities) tied together by common geography and resources. But considering what we have to work with, I think we are lucky to have an Obama instead of two McCains to pick from.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:25 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,932,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
I would like to have a discussion where we identify the things we have in common, as even among the most opposed CD posters we surely must have issues that we can agree upon.

I believe it would be far more productive to find what we agree upon, and then work from there, to discuss the issues where we differ, and why, and maybe find some compromises, or, if nothing else, learn about each other, and why certain issues are ones we cannot compromise on.

So think of the poster you most strongly disagree with, and find some issue where there is common ground, for example, Jmarquise and I have disagreements on some heated issues, but I just found out that s/he likes to cook.

Well so do I, I work in a commercial kitchen and at a fine restaurant.

Sunshine Chick is concerned about government costing her more money. Well, we'd all like to keep as much of our money as possible. Even in the disagreement there is still some commonality....She has kids, and so do I, and so we share certain economic realities even if our income and tax situations are different and we disagree on how the government should be involved.

Get the idea?
Actually and thank God we all have more in common than not. We all have someone we love in our lives, family, friends, etc. We all have someone that loves us (I hope). We all care about were we go as a nation, again I hope. We all need a purpose in life, a reason to live. We all seek to better our lives and the people around us. We all would prefer to pay lower taxes. We all wish there were no poor people in the world, no sickness, no heartbreak.

Whether you believe it or not the majority of the population would help a stranger in need if we had the means. Many of us would act heroically when called upon, I know I have been in that situation and it just happens. It is something instilled in most of us.

The only major difference is that we all see different way, avenues to do, accomplish the above. You all know I am right so you might as well admit it. If you don't it is because you lack one thing most of us have, courage to admit we love our fellow man under almost all circumstances if push comes to shove.

Now let's get ready to rumble, back to the fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections