Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:32 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,252,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I don't support the war. I don't support spending money in any foreign country that does not give us something in return. I am all about being friends and trading with countries, but not nation building and blindly giving money to military dictators. if they would pass a flat, or fair tax, then I would be fine with any way they chose to spend my taxes. it's all the new taxes and raising of taxes that gets to me. I already pay high property taxes to educate k-12.
Do you support a "usage" tax? If I understand it correctly, I would pay very little taxes since I don't consume a lot. (I am not an economic guru, so I might have understood this wrong.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 07:33 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,767,269 times
Quote:
it is on his website. we are losing our edge because of government education. so you think more on top of that at tax payer expense is a good idea? this idea is so idiotic, that it might single handedly cost him millions of votes. having no kids, it already bothers me a little that my property taxes go to pay for public education, but now this moron wants to basically use my money for daycare? sorry, that is mommy and daddy's responsibility, not mine.
I second that emotion!

Old 08-22-2008, 07:35 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
a consumption tax is like the fair tax. you are taxed on what you spend, not what you make. a flat tax, is an income tax at a set rate across the board. I have no problem with either one. that way, it's actually fair, and no one gets a bunch of write offs that others don't get. think about it, if you own a home, which I do, I get a tax write off. you get to write off children. if you are single and living in an apartment, you get nothing back at years end. I prefer a simple pay as you go system, then I could care less what they did with the money. but to create a special new tax on something to fund this? no way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
Do you support a "usage" tax? If I understand it correctly, I would pay very little taxes since I don't consume a lot. (I am not an economic guru, so I might have understood this wrong.)

Old 08-22-2008, 07:40 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,482 times
Thank you for expanding on your views Jmarq, I was curious.

I support programs that provide early intervention for young children, especially at risk kids. Programs can be as good or bad as the people implementing them. Education is a fickle beast and philosophies flip flop about once a decade.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:43 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,948,545 times
Quote:
I don't support the war. I don't support spending money in any foreign country that does not give us something in return. I am all about being friends and trading with countries, but not nation building and blindly giving money to military dictators. if they would pass a flat, or fair tax, then I would be fine with any way they chose to spend my taxes. it's all the new taxes and raising of taxes that gets to me. I already pay high property taxes to educate k-12.
Sorry JMarquise if I pegged you wrong on the abortion issue. I just find it so commonplace for republicans to vote against abortion under all circumstances but not support programs designed for disadvantaged children. That drives me crazy.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:44 PM

I have a problem with people who abuse programs mostly. I feel bad for the kids, and I am not anti child. I don't have any kids, but I babysat last night, and took the girl to a public park. thank you taxpayers of north carolina! they need to get the taxation methods squared away, then worry about what we can afford. if we didn't spend money in iraq, we would be in good shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
Thank you for expanding on your views Jmarq, I was curious.

I support programs that provide early intervention for young children, especially at risk kids. Programs can be as good or bad as the people implementing them. Education is a fickle beast and philosophies flip flop about once a decade.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I have a problem with people who abuse programs mostly. I feel bad for the kids, and I am not anti child. I don't have any kids, but I babysat last night, and took the girl to a public park. thank you taxpayers of north carolina! they need to get the taxation methods squared away, then worry about what we can afford. if we didn't spend money in iraq, we would be in good shape.
I do want to see some fiscal responsibility, I totally support a revamping of the tax code and spending our tax dollars here as opposed to overseas.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:50 PM

haha, it's ok. for this to be true, I would have to be a republican. I am not, I am old school conservative. in the guise of goldwater, coolidge, or thomas jefferson. if I actually belonged to a party, it would be the libertarian party. abortion is none of my business. I don't agree with any late term stuff, but it's not my business. I would support all kinds of programs for children under a fairer taxation system. I pay taxes to support local public education. I also live in kind of a bad neighborhood, and I see a lot of healthy people doing nothing and living off the government. that bothers me. social programs aren't set up to help, they are set up to teach dependence. if they were set up to help, they would be monitored, and public housing wouldn't be crime riddled. it sickens me when I see physically or mentally disabled people who are homeless, and then I see perfectly healthy people abusing a system. see it all the time here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
Sorry JMarquise if I pegged you wrong on the abortion issue. I just find it so commonplace for republicans to vote against abortion under all circumstances but not support programs designed for disadvantaged children. That drives me crazy.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:52 PM

probably not as much as I do though. I am anti spending anywhere outside of the US until people here are taken care of. I am against the global poverty act or anything like it. I don't trust where our government spends our money, I sure as hell am not going to trust where a foreign third world government spends our money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
I do want to see some fiscal responsibility, I totally support a revamping of the tax code and spending our tax dollars here as opposed to overseas.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
probably not as much as I do though. I am anti spending anywhere outside of the US until people here are taken care of. I am against the global poverty act or anything like it. I don't trust where our government spends our money, I sure as hell am not going to trust where a foreign third world government spends our money.
I'm not quite as far out there from where you are but I can see what you are saying. I don't mind my $$$ helping other nations to some degree but not at the expense of our needs here. I don't trust the government much either but I'm a realist and them taking my money for something just ain't going to change in my lifetime.....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections