Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 04:30 PM

7 posts, read 10,712 times

Advertisements

OK, I don't quite understand.
I personally would rather have the country administered by people who are highly educated, well read, and have an understanding of history and other cultures.
Seems like this is what folks are meaning by "elitist". Why is this a bad thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 05:10 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,120,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggrl View Post
I personally would rather have the country administered by people who are highly educated, well read, and have an understanding of history and other cultures.
Seems like this is what folks are meaning by "elitist". Why is this a bad thing?
You got me! I sure can't figure it out! I have ALWAYS wanted my president to be the smartest person in the room. It would be SO good not to have to cringe in shame everytime the president opens his mouth, wouldn't it?

Old 08-28-2008, 05:17 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,651,156 times
Good points....I personally view an elitist as a very smart individual who is articulate, well read and versed in foreign affairs, yet has those ever so annoying habits of:
a) talkin' just like plain folks do (although most 'plain foks' donot talk that way)
b) feels that their superior education and intelligence entitles them to an 'act as I say, not as I do' type of relationship with the public they are supposed to lead. A fine example of this would be Al Gore pointing his finger at the soccer mom for driving a trailblazer while he flies his very own private jet. Or, another great example would be politicians who decry wealth all the while they are raking it in.
and finally c) a true elitist holds in low regard anyone who is in anyway different from them.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:18 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,358,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
You got me! I sure can't figure it out! I have ALWAYS wanted my president to be the smartest person in the room. It would be SO good not to have to cringe in shame everytime the president opens his mouth, wouldn't it?
We're on a losing streak in that department:

Johnson: liar. Warmonger. Mah fello merkins.
Nixon: paranoid liar.
Ford: clumsy fool.
Carter: cowardly fool.
Reagan: senile actor.
Bush I: total worm.
Clinton: draft-dodging liar.
Bush II: please...

Old 08-28-2008, 05:20 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,120,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

Gee, thanks for cheering me up.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:21 PM

26,233 posts, read 49,118,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

Most of above fits. We had a chance to get Bill Bradley on the DEM ticket in 2000, and John McCain on the GOP. Instead of that great match up, we got Gore and Bush, i.e., TweedleDumb vs TweedleDee. In 2000 I voted for Nader to show my contempt for both parties.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:26 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,771,322 times
I guess it would depend on your status or position as to how you identify with the term. It's why the interviewer for a position sits behind a desk, for instance. It's why a speaker in a forum is elevated on a stage, for instance.

Source: WordNet (r) 1.7
elitist
n : someone who believes in rule by an elite group [ant: egalitarian]

WordNet (r) 1.7

egalitarian
adj : favoring social equality; "a classless society" [syn: classless]
n : a person who believes in the equality of all people [syn: equalitarian]
[ant: elitist]

Source: WordNet (r) 1.7
equalitarian n : a person who believes in the equality of all people [syn: egalitarian] [ant: elitist]

My personal definition of an elitist is one who has illusions of grandeur, that they can look down their nose at everyone else, and never think anything of it. Politicians of renown come to mind.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:20 PM

22,938 posts, read 28,322,594 times
Quote:
But that isn't what an elitist is. An elitist is someone who believes that the ignorant hoi polloi ought to be ruled by their betters. It's a fundamentally anti-American sentiment.

Just because someone is well-educated, well-read, and has a good grasp of history doesn't necessarily make that person an elitist.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:49 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,580,025 times
Quote:
It's not always about being the smartest, it also has to do w/knowing how to lead, how to interact well w/others, how to compromise, etc. Sure, I'd love to have a smart president, but just because they're smart doesn't mean they can relate well to the masses. Now THAT is something that I look forward to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections