Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 10:19 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,832,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Kuwait is not Iraq. Kuwait is a separate country. Kuwait was the reason for the first Gulf War. She's never been to Iraq. Never.
Agreed. Kuwait is only one major base for operations in Iraq and where the ANG troops she wanted to meet. Is there something all that special about leaving your troops and stepping over the border onto different sand or taking a helo ride into the fortified green zone for a visiting governor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 10:32 AM

26,661 posts, read 28,737,357 times
Her religion is too extreme and she brings it into her politics -- that means THE REST OF US would be influenced by her personal religious views.

She tried to ban books in a PUBLIC library when she was mayor. The idea of censorship--you start out banning just a few books and it snowballs from there. No one should be able to control what we read. She's going backward when we need to be going forward.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:02 AM

532 posts, read 909,661 times
1. She's a religious extremist ala George W Bush. She thinks the Iraq war is a mission from God.
2. She's a hypocrite. She pushes abstinence only education, meanwhile her own daughter proves it doesn't work.
3. She's a social conservative. It isn't her gender or her personality- it's her views. I disagree with her politics. That has nothing to do with her sex.

This woman is the opposite of Hilary Clinton in every way. The only similarity is their gender. Why isn't anyone asking questions like "Why do you dislike Joe Biden? Is it because he is a man?"

Old 09-10-2008, 11:15 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,675,377 times
I think her religious views about being "saved" and the stuff she's said about being "from God" are radical for alot of people.
I don't like her pro-life stance, esp. to the exclusion of incest/rape. That's over the top to most women.
Her condoning of aereal wolf killing when conservationists say they don't threaten the moose population substantially. She's doing the Alaskan popular thing there. Also, her sitting by a dead moose that she's killed is sickening. Doesn't she have better things to do, kinder, gentler things? She seems split psychologically kill the animals/don't kill an embryo, be nice to your kids/kill the animals. People like this are conflicted psychologically and I don't think should be making public policy.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:24 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,269,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmac View Post
Democrats...I'm just curious...what is the REAL reason you don't like Sara Palin as John McCain's pick for VP? Is is because she is a Republican, or are you somehow really upset that Obama treated Hillary so badly by not choosing her to run with him as his VP choice? And please don't say it's because she is inexperienced...she isn't running for President!
OK, conversely, Neocon-artists...I'm just curious...what is the REAL reason you like Sara Palin? Is it because she is a severly "right wing" Republican? Do you feel like she's a "dig" at Obama? Because she has boobs and lives in a cold climate (wink! wink!)?

Old 09-10-2008, 11:53 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,949,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I will take a short term govenor over a long term Senator every single time!! Lived in Indonesia?? Theres a qualification for President!

Weak

Old 09-10-2008, 11:58 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,580,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmac View Post
Democrats...I'm just curious...what is the REAL reason you don't like Sara Palin as John McCain's pick for VP? Is is because she is a Republican, or are you somehow really upset that Obama treated Hillary so badly by not choosing her to run with him as his VP choice? And please don't say it's because she is inexperienced...she isn't running for President!
I am a Republican, and I will give you my reasons I don't like Sara Palin:

1. She was chosen for her appeal to the Clinton voter more than anything.
2. Her experience consists of running a town of less than 10,000 people where the average citizen has a 10th grade education. And....
3. She is governor of a state that is not really in touch with the rest of the United States.
4. McCain is older, and his health is an issue. If McCain wins, passes away and Palin is president, she will be eaten alive by the world.
5. She is hypocritical on many issues, including birth control and family planning.
6. I am the type of Republican that wants religion out of government. Having a person who is in a church as conservative as hers bothers me.
7. She used money that should have been used towards Alaska's abysmal education system for other less important issues.

And don't even bother telling me "Well Obama, this that and the other." I am not an Obama supporter.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:02 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,514,277 times
I'll agree with the rest here: Pro-life, Pro-censorship, Religious Extreme, Social Conservative, a Hypocrite and worst of all she is a token.

On a personal note she is a Hick and I think we have met our Hick threshold with Bushie Boy.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:17 PM

645 posts, read 1,965,867 times
Let's be serious..... If George Bush died would you trust Cheney to run the country... Probably. If something happened to Obama could Biden step-in and lead the country YES. If 72 year old 3 times cancer survivor John McCain died, do you trust Sara Palin to run the most powerful country in the world HELL NO

I was reading an article in Newsweek how Sara Palin is receiving a crash course in foreign policy and McCain's Policies and how she likes to learn from "flash cards".

We can do better than this

Old 09-10-2008, 12:17 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,356,224 times
I'm an Obama supporter (a little more lukewarm these days than during the primaries, I admit), and I like Palin for the same reason that I like Obama: namely, that she represents something new and fresh in American politics -- and I am not just referring to the phenomena of true diversity of race and gender among our national executive nominees from both parties, important as those two issues are.

To me, just as it says something deeply positive about our country to have a member of a minority race on the verge of serving as our chief executive -- something no other country in the world can claim -- so does it say something tremendously hopeful about the progress we have made as a nation to have a small-town leader, a mother of five, an outdoorswoman, and a wife, chosen as the vice-Presidential nominee.

In both cases, we are seeing the empowerment of an under-represented group, and a potential maximizing of the human talent of new reservoirs of talent and dedication.

Those people who criticize Obama for lacking "experience" are ignoring the incredible mess which highly "experienced people" have gotten us into; similarly, those who criticize Palin for being from a sparsely populated part of the country and for having had to achieve success the hard way, with plenty of slips and problems on the way, while raising a family and keeping a marriage together, are forgetting that that is the narrative which characterizes most REAL people in this country.

To put it another way: hammering Obama for not being "experienced" and thus responsible for war, economic straits, and the coarsening of our national ethos is simply wrong-headed; to belittle Palin for having succeeded in spite of the obstacles most of us -- male, female, straight, gay, conservative, liberal, redneck or hip-hopper -- face in our everyday lives, is to belittle and demean ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections