Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 08:16 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,483,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyUK View Post
Interesting perspectives.

How about what happend to the people after Katrina hit? Does that add into peoples equation?
There is another major hurricane headed for the southern coast right now.
America will handle it better than Katrina.

ian6479 will say that President Bush manufactured Gustav to help special interest contractors.

ian6479 will never say anything good about his country. I think we live on the same planet but for your information ian I live on Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 08:51 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,955,051 times
Quote:
I am genuinely wondering. Are there people who truly believe the US is better now then it was 8 yrs ago? I have been out of the country for a while now, so I really dont know. With the war, the economy, the deficit, our standing with the world, have we improved?

Why would you vote for McCain? Why would you not?

Play nice now, grown ups have no need for name calling and mudslinging.
You are better off if you are out of the country - because it is a disaster. Bush/Cheney have done a number on us.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
America is safer than it was 8 years ago. The economy has grown and unemployment ( I think ) is still near its historical low. I make more money now than I did then.

As for the "war". Which war are you talking about? OK, the argument could be made that we could be in one war instead of two right now. Or we could be in something even worse.

Our standing in the world? We're still one of the top five nations in the world. Other countries are emerging from third world status and experiencing great economic growth. That is a good thing, right? Some groups around the world would never like America. No matter what. A lot of people around the world do like America and need it. America's generosity is unparalleled.

This is what your question is really asking:

Is the U.S. better now than it was before 8 years under the Bush administration?

Well, some things change in America that are not tied to 4 or 8 year political time frames. There is consensus here about the need for alternative energy and America will do something about it. This endeavor makes America better, right? Also, America is not as bad as some folks want to make it out to be. We are still free people.

The deficit. Government spending is out of control. Cutting out pork barrel spending is one reason I would vote for McCain/Palin. I think America is better than it was 8 years ago. And it will be better 8 years from now, if McCain wins.
Drink the kool aid man....

Old 08-31-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:

How about what happend to the people after Katrina hit? Does that add into peoples equation?
Yes, it does. But of course the GOP blames the people who were victims of the storm for the failings of the government.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
There is another major hurricane headed for the southern coast right now.
America will handle it better than Katrina.

ian6479 will say that President Bush manufactured Gustav to help special interest contractors.

ian6479 will never say anything good about his country. I think we live on the same planet but for your information ian I live on Earth.
IF they do it's only because they messed up SO badly after Katrina and it is an ELECTION year.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:16 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
America is safer than it was 8 years ago. The economy has grown and unemployment ( I think ) is still near its historical low. I make more money now than I did then.
5.7% not historical but not horrible Clinton had the same UE rate when he took office.

Quote:
As for the "war". Which war are you talking about? OK, the argument could be made that we could be in one war instead of two right now. Or we could be in something even worse.
We will be leaving Iraq as everyone knows. Some of those troops will go to Afghanistan and if we stay the course as we did in Iraq we will leave when the government is sovereign with little chance of being overthrown.

Quote:
Our standing in the world? We're still one of the top five nations in the world. Other countries are emerging from third world status and experiencing great economic growth. That is a good thing, right? Some groups around the world would never like America. No matter what. A lot of people around the world do like America and need it. America's generosity is unparalleled.
19.7% of the UN's budget comes from the US. We Spend billions if not trillions in aid around the world. I agree 100% until those countries see something from the US that they can directly link from US like money or food they will never like us and that's just how it is. Some even hate us just for what we stand for. We aid democracies and shun oppression....Who cares what others think

Quote:
Is the U.S. better now than it was before 8 years under the Bush administration?
I think it's more than a simple question. 9/11, Katrina, numerous floods, enron, tech bubble, non prepared military from budget cuts in the Clinton administration....ect...ect... Thing you can not blame on a president. The two wars you can but I think they were important and I know others disagree. I'll stick with the freedom isn't free and if your not spreading or helping democracy then another form of government takes it's place and we know how many of those there are. Some good some extremely bad.

Quote:
Well, some things change in America that are not tied to 4 or 8 year political time frames. There is consensus here about the need for alternative energy and America will do something about it. This endeavor makes America better, right? Also, America is not as bad as some folks want to make it out to be. We are still free people.
Since America is so large it takes us a little while longer to react....our energy prices needed to increase to push that effciency standard. Canada did it 30 years ago. Welcome to R-2000

When our energy prices reach the point that the EU has we will be right along with them in energy requirements. The UK in some parts doesn't even allow HVAC systems in new construction. China is pushing solar water heaters. China to Push Use of Solar Water Heaters | Worldwatch Institute (http://www.worldwatch.org/node/5060 - broken link)

We know they banned HCFC refrigerants long ago and mainly use HFC refrigerants which are enviormentally friendly. We are pushing that. In 2010 no more of our HVAC equipment will be made using the ozone harming refrigerant. Although the new frerigerant still has global warming potential.

The US is 300,000,000 strong with a largely self important reputation IMO.

Quote:
The deficit. Government spending is out of control. Cutting out pork barrel spending is one reason I would vote for McCain/Palin. I think America is better than it was 8 years ago. And it will be better 8 years from now, if McCain wins.
I agree pork is what needs to go . Not until 2006 did the GDP to debt ratio start to go back negative. http://www.optimist123.com/optimist/...lock_upgr.html

The only thing that has really changed since then was a democratic take over

It's your choice. I know which way I'm going although it's IMO is still a lessor of two evils.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:43 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:

People who live on the dole for long periods of time, develop a strong sense of entitlement.

They begin to believe that they are owed everything. The government owes them a home, meals, clothing, cars, etc.

Rock their world and they will scream about how the government owes them all of these things.

Long-term Welfare / dole is simply wrong!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:47 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
I am genuinely wondering. Are there people who truly believe the US is better now then it was 8 yrs ago? .
Every politician makes things worse then it was before he came into office.

For me and my household, things are better.

Though I do realize that our nation's budget and economy is sliding much worse. We are certainly heading for bad times.

Of the choices before us, neither choice seems willing or even aware of the need: to actually balance the budget, pay off the debt, and build our economy.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:59 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,029,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedinNM View Post
I am better off. I answer yes.

The unemployment rate is about the same now as 2000. In fact, it was much higher during the Clinton years. Interest rates are lower now, the stock market has not lost any value, marginal tax rates are lower, and 98.5% of all mortgages are paid on time. Depending on the study, poverty is either flat or down slightly.

Excluding the cost of energy, and its ripple affect on food prices, many prices are actually down. If you want to blame George W. because not enough dinosours died a billion years ago, go ahead. Oil supplies are finite. The increase in energy prices is soley related to the increase in world-wide demand relative to the supply. Every President from this day forward will have to deal with it. Even with the increase, gas today is no more expensive than it was 25 years ago adjusted for inflation.

Despite all the rhetoric about the subprime market and falling home prices, it represents a small portion of the mortgage market. In absolute dollars, it is a large amount. As a percentage of the total mortgage market, it is inmaterial. Many of those impacted would have never qualified for mortgages in the past.

While home prices have fallen, my home is still worth more today than it was 8 years ago. I suspect that is the case for many. We hear about the record decline in home prices, but seem to forget about the record INCREASE in prices that directly preceeded it. It was artificial. Most intelligent people recognized this. Your home is not a savings account; it is a place to raise your family. If you were dumb enough to buy a home that costs 6 times your salary on a 2 year interest-only low-floater ARM, I have no sympathy for you. You should have paid attention in 12th grade math. Any $5 calculator could have computed the affect of an increase in rates.

I recognize there are problems. But overall the economy has shown resilence. As far as fuel prices, I bet many families spend more on cell phones, cable TV, excessive car payments and eating out each month than they do on gas. Decide what is important to you. I have had to adjust my spending. I still drive the same car I bought in 2000. I might have it another five years. I invested my time and money in my career and my business. It has paid off.

Many think that because they can no longer afford to drive their home-equity-loan-financed BMW to work every day, while sipping a $4 coffee and text messaging their buddies about the cruise they just took (on their $500 iPhone) while listening to their $300 iPod full of $3000 worth of downloaded music that the economy is in the crapper. Please!

It is always nice to see someone who understands what we are going through. I believe Americans need to get back to reality.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:08 AM

799 posts, read 1,445,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Yes, it does. But of course the GOP blames the people who were victims of the storm for the failings of the government.
The only people I hear saying that are democrats. Most republicans blame the city and state for not being proactive. Others blame Bush and the federal government for not being reactive. I blame everyone but myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections