Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:44 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,412,542 times

Advertisements

We're doing great, thanks! It ain't the 80's but hey, times are just fine for us.

There's plenty of food on the table, we're all employed and can see a doctor whenever we need one at a moment's notice (okay, an hour's notice). My children and adequately educated and anything that needs to be supplemented I can fill them in on. Nobody's on crack and we all care about each other and treat each other well.

Yep, things is good amongst people who believe in personal accountability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 08:47 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,015,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyUK View Post
I am genuinely wondering. Are there people who truly believe the US is better now then it was 8 yrs ago? I have been out of the country for a while now, so I really dont know. With the war, the economy, the deficit, our standing with the world, have we improved?

Why would you vote for McCain? Why would you not?

Play nice now, grown ups have no need for name calling and mudslinging.

Absolutely NOT.!! Bush has taken us down a very bad road and things are horrible.. Republicans need to go!

Old 09-01-2008, 08:50 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
In reality, the last decade has been very, very good to us.

Yes - we are far better off than we were 8 or 10 years ago.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:50 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,882,696 times
No, However I know without a doubt that I am persoanlly better off but I dont think "we"
are better off. No one said transitioning to free markets and a global economy would be easy so we had to make the sacrifice to get it done. In the long run we will be much better off sometimes you haver totake a step backwards to take two steps forward.

As far as the president my only problem has been the spending which has been necessary to ease the burden of economic change.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:53 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,976,623 times
I became much better off as a result of the RE Ponzi scheme collapsing and commodity prices going ballistic. But this phenomenon didn't really materialize until about 3 years ago. The decline of the dollar definitely fattened by wallet.

With the recent adjustment of gold and oil, I definitely am not looking this gift horse in the mouth.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:56 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,830,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyUK View Post
I am genuinely wondering. Are there people who truly believe the US is better now then it was 8 yrs ago? I have been out of the country for a while now, so I really dont know. With the war, the economy, the deficit, our standing with the world, have we improved?

Why would you vote for McCain? Why would you not?

Play nice now, grown ups have no need for name calling and mudslinging.
I believe much better off. . . our buildings aren't being bombed. Embassies aren't being bombed. US ships aren't being bombed. Bin-Laden dead or hiding in some cave. No dictator in Iraq kicking out UN inspectors and gassing 100,000 innocent women and children. Millions not being killed in Africa while the US did nothing. Troops not pinned down in Somalia and then retreating without completing mission. 7 years of continuous economic growth -- no recession regardless of what some wish to believe. Low unemployment. No regular sex scandals in WH. No president being impeached and disbarred. Instead of reading about party leaders assaulting women we have party leaders raising them to historic levels; VP nominee and sec of state. Unlikely to see widespread presidential pardons of crooks that donate to the dem party. All regular events during the previous admin who did virtually nothing to address.

Nothing will ever be perfect but good times past 8 years that not even Pelosi and Reid have been able to fully reverse.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:10 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,015,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
In reality, the last decade has been very, very good to us.

Yes - we are far better off than we were 8 or 10 years ago.
Well considering you are not really a member of the "middle class' it' no wonder you are feeling that things are better..

If you read GreatDays post you'll see he is far from "middle class" and so he reaps the benefits of tax breaks for the wealthy..etc..

Old 09-01-2008, 09:13 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Well considering you are not really a member of the "middle class' it' no wonder you are feeling that things are better..

If you read GreatDays post you'll see he is far from "middle class" and so he reaps the benefits of tax breaks for the wealthy..etc..
Let's assume you are correct: So what?

What is the question posed by this thread TM?? Hmmmm?????

BTW - your post smacks, no - REEKS of Jealousy.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:17 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,599,254 times
I don't think its government's responsibility to fix everything for me. The Katrina people should have left well before the storm hit.

WRT being "better off" I assume you mean economically??? The markets and the inevitable business cycle has much more to do with the economy than any President.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:34 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,193,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
People who live on the dole for long periods of time, develop a strong sense of entitlement.

They begin to believe that they are owed everything. The government owes them a home, meals, clothing, cars, etc.

Rock their world and they will scream about how the government owes them all of these things.

Long-term Welfare / dole is simply wrong!
I'm a Democrat and I totally agree with your last statement - but it's crystal clear that so does Senator Obama! As I understand it, he would like to make a huge difference on the issue of *personal accountability*. He has said that loudly and clearly in a number of statements - and has made a few Dem folks such as Jesse Jackson very unhappy..

But these changes don't happen overnight - it will entail a huge cultural change. And I would wager that the surest, quickest route to making this happen would be the presence of a black man as president of these United States. He would certainly inspire poor folks to climb out of *the system* and become much more self-reliant. I think Obama has the capacity to restore the dignity of all these folks who, yes, *have* believed they are *entitled* due to an accepted culture of poverty.. But they also need help to attain this status with improved education, job training and effective, affordable childcare. I just don't know if anything on this front will change with a MCCain presidency.. IMHO, with a GOP presidency, we'll still be having this same argument four years from now..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections