Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:09 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times

Advertisements

Since this term has now entered our national vocabulary, I would like to understand it better. Ms. Palin likens it to a "pit bull" which I find a little confusing. I'm a mom myself, but my kids are involved in other extracurricular activities besides sports. My impression of "soccer moms," "baseball moms," hockey moms," etc. are mothers who spend a lot of time in their cars driving their kids to and from practice and games and providing snacks at appropriate times. Kind of like I do, taking my kids to play rehearsal, choir, lit club, guitar lessons, etc.

Are there additional responsibilities to being a "hockey mom" that I am not aware of that somehow add to one's professional or political credentials? Or some other nuance to this title I am not getting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 09:12 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,231 times
It's supposed to convey a tough attitude and draw a contrast with the stereotypical suburban soccer mom. The idea they're pushing is that soccer moms are soft and squishy, and they're afraid of their kids getting hurt. Hockey moms, meanwhile, let their kids play a game with sharp skates, flying rubber projectiles, and bone-crushing checks. They aren't afraid to let their kids take a few knocks.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:16 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
It's supposed to convey a tough attitude and draw a contrast with the typical suburban soccer mom. The idea is that soccer moms are soft and squishy, and they're afraid of their kids getting hurt. Hockey moms, meanwhile, let their kids play a game with sharp skates, flying rubber projectiles, and bone-crushing checks. They aren't afraid to let their kids take a few knocks.
Or, to draw a political analogy, conservatives are into hockey, which involves putting your body on the line to protect your teammates, and liberals are into soccer, where you pretend to be injured in order to receive special attention.

I hope this is helpful.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:16 AM

382 posts, read 589,723 times
Quote:
It's supposed to convey a tough attitude and draw a contrast with the stereotypical suburban soccer mom. The idea they're pushing is that soccer moms are soft and squishy, and they're afraid of their kids getting hurt. Hockey moms, meanwhile, let their kids play a game with sharp skates, flying rubber projectiles, and bone-crushing checks. They aren't afraid to let their kids take a few knocks.
She's need be worried about those kids and their "extracurricular activities"

Old 09-04-2008, 09:17 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,529,408 times
Quote:
Not only allow the rough play but they encourage it. They are robust fans of the sport and support thier children very much so. The can and are outwardly vocal towards the play and the coaching. But Hockey Moms also are a very unique breed in that they must be able to take thier young Hockey Players to games over great distances and at odd times. Rink time in some areas is hard to come by. Soccer Fields are everywhere and abundant while Ice Rinks cost cash money to run and are not as readily available.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:18 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,847 times
What, exactly, is a "Hockey Mom"?

According to Sarah, a pit bull with lipstick.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:19 AM

350 posts, read 653,529 times
Certainly qualifies her to be President - not!

Old 09-04-2008, 09:20 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Since this term has now entered our national vocabulary, I would like to understand it better. Ms. Palin likens it to a "pit bull" which I find a little confusing. I'm a mom myself, but my kids are involved in other extracurricular activities besides sports. My impression of "soccer moms," "baseball moms," hockey moms," etc. are mothers who spend a lot of time in their cars driving their kids to and from practice and games and providing snacks at appropriate times. Kind of like I do, taking my kids to play rehearsal, choir, lit club, guitar lessons, etc.

Are there additional responsibilities to being a "hockey mom" that I am not aware of that somehow add to one's professional or political credentials? Or some other nuance to this title I am not getting?
Maybe you should ask the liberal in the tank Obama media.

They are the ones mocking her for her family's hobbies and trying to say the GOP candidate is pushing for a hockey mom in the oval office.

If you bother to read, even the Messiah's comments, they all focus on her Mayor experience and disregard her Governorship. Because they are nasty smart politician and know that the public only hears "population of 6000" and are too stupid to know that it's not Alaska they're citing.

Her only reference to hockey mom was as bio on her family until she was forced to defend herself as MORE THAN a hockey mom, but still proud to be one.

And as a mother of a goal tender I can tell you that hockey parents are tough. For years I had OTHER PARENTS standing directly behind him, blowing multiple airhorns in my kid's ears in the goal cage when a shot was taken on him to wreck his game. Never mind you affect his hearing, his game, his self esteem, his confidence and play dirty just to bully someone. Win at any cost.

EXACTLY LIKE POLITICS.

The other point was in case you missed it, OBAMA elitists mock Americans for their guns, religion AND SPORTS. THAT was the REAL MESSAGE about hockey moms.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:20 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
A Hockey Mom is a shivering soccer mom.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:21 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,668 times
so if she would have said a cheerleader mom it would have made any difference? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections