Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 10:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You poor soul. You have no idea what you are talking about. France delivers the best healthcare system in the World at 1/3 the cost.

The World Health Organization's ranking
of the world's health systems.
Source: WHO World Health Report - See also Spreadsheet Details (731kb)

See also: Health Performance Rank By Country
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rank Country

1 France
2 Italy
3 San Marino
4 Andorra
5 Malta
6 Singapore
7 Spain
8 Oman
9 Austria
10 Japan
11 Norway
12 Portugal
13 Monaco
14 Greece
15 Iceland
16 Luxembourg
17 Netherlands
18 United Kingdom
19 Ireland
20 Switzerland
21 Belgium
22 Colombia
23 Sweden
24 Cyprus
25 Germany
26 Saudi Arabia
27 United Arab Emirates
28 Israel
29 Morocco
30 Canada
31 Finland
32 Australia
33 Chile
34 Denmark
35 Dominica
36 Costa Rica
37 United States of America
38 Slovenia
39 Cuba
40 Brunei
41 New Zealand
42 Bahrain
Thanks for posting this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 10:29 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,416 times
Quote:
It's the same fundamental idea that says you must pay for the public education of those kids k-12. There isn't any mystery to it.

But on a practical note. Everyone must opt in because if they don't, what happens is those who opt out get a free ride until they are gravely sick and then they opt back in to reap the benefits. So they wind up not paying into the kitty all those years when they were healthy and those that are consistent members wind up paying for their free ride.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but they aren't even close to being the same idea. Saying I must pay for education is vastly different than saying you MUST carry insurance on your personal body. Heck, forcing children to be vaccinated hasn't even gone that far yet - parents do still have some choice.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:30 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Nowhere near the benefits Americans reap via their cheap labor.
But offset this by the unemployment levels, and artificially low wages, (and thereby higher percentage of uninsured), and it gets back to the original point.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:33 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No...how the heck does someone work 2 jobs and not have $300 a month? If your living expenses are too high...move. I bet there are some luxuries (vs necessities) being paid for out of the monthly salary there.

Besides, I have found single coverage for less than $200/month on sites I was previously not allowed to mention.

I met this young woman in Montana who was outraged that she (a healthy 23 year-old) worked two jobs and was not allowed access to Medicaid. When I told her I could get her covered for less than $200 a month, she said she could not afford it b/c she had 3 horses to board and feed (not part of her business or anything - just pets) and a new truck payment.

Why should my taxes support this woman?

Don't forget that lovely huge overpriced house obtained out of greed (gotta keep up with those Joneses!) and way over budget, new car and new boat! And the toys for dad! Multiple TVs, entertainment center(s), new sitdown lawnmower, jacuzzi, marble countertops and stainless steel appliances for mom, etc. etc. etc. And the entertainment expenses, that is a MUST, including the all important alcohol and cigarette budget! Uh oh, now I am expected to pay for my own health insurance???

Old 09-09-2008, 10:33 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
Quote:
Absolutely incorrect. Take home construction for example; Using a team of illegals (they do not work as cheap as you may think they do) you save 3-5k on the entire process of building a standard home(this is my area of expertise, so I can quote a pretty good estimate on cost). This is using multiple illegals, not just one. Do you really believe we are better of saving that few grand over the cost of several illegals using our medical services, raising our uninsured motorist rates, using our infrastructure, collecting various welfare benefits, public schools, tuition breaks at colleges....we could go on and on here.
Give me real stats of the savings we accrue from the cheaper labor versus their cost to us as tax and insurance payers.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:34 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
NIce tone.
You missed the "still looking" part. It's not that easy. And what about the people - like my husband - who make their living as a freelance consultant? What about the kids just out of college just trying to pay their bills but they can't afford healthcare? What about the artists and actors and musicians who wait tables or temp while they pursue what they love but their "survival jobs" don't provide healthcare? People can't afford it when it costs that much money.
It's only the ignorant, selfish @******s that give the "TS" response. I bet you wouldn't feel that way if it was you. Or your child. or YOUR friend with Multiple sclerosis. IT's not right.
Nobody said life was easy.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:35 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
You poor soul. You have no idea what you are talking about. France delivers the best healthcare system in the World at 2/3rds the cost.

"In 2005, the United States spent 15.3 percent of gross domestic product on health care for only some of us. France spent 10.7 percent and covered everyone. The French comparison is good because its system works very much like Medicare-for-all. The other European countries, all with universal coverage, spent less than France."

The World Health Organization's ranking
of the world's health systems.
Source: WHO World Health Report - See also Spreadsheet Details (731kb)

See also: Health Performance Rank By Country
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rank Country

1 France
2 Italy
3 San Marino
4 Andorra
5 Malta
6 Singapore
7 Spain
8 Oman
9 Austria
10 Japan
11 Norway
12 Portugal
13 Monaco
14 Greece
15 Iceland
16 Luxembourg
17 Netherlands
18 United Kingdom
19 Ireland
20 Switzerland
21 Belgium
22 Colombia
23 Sweden
24 Cyprus
25 Germany
26 Saudi Arabia
27 United Arab Emirates
28 Israel
29 Morocco
30 Canada
31 Finland
32 Australia
33 Chile
34 Denmark
35 Dominica
36 Costa Rica
37 United States of America
38 Slovenia
39 Cuba
40 Brunei
41 New Zealand
42 Bahrain
Thanks for all of this information, but again, you didnt answer the original question.. WHY SHOULD I CARE? Are you proposing that we should get national health care because France has it? That makes about as much sense as me wanting to buy an inground pool because the neighbor has one..

Old 09-09-2008, 10:35 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but they aren't even close to being the same idea. Saying I must pay for education is vastly different than saying you MUST carry insurance on your personal body. Heck, forcing children to be vaccinated hasn't even gone that far yet - parents do still have some choice.

Taking your money for the greater good. It happens all the time. Public education is an example I used.

Most Americans are fine with using Federal revenues (your taxes) to pay for universal healtcare.

That's the idea behind it.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:36 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,512 times
Quote:
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Illegals contribute to overburdened schools, overburdened health care , overburdened justice system, increased crime, "machismo" violence, just to name a few.

But let’s ignore that stuff for now. The real killer is this: illegals help artificially lower wages by working for less than Americans will. I’ve heard the complaints that “illegals do the jobs Americans won’t do.” Ever watched the show “Dirty Jobs?” It’s full of people of every color that do really hard, dirty, crappy work. Americans will do those jobs, just not at the wages illegals are paid.

This means that the pay level for these jobs is not at equilibrium and are not competitive with the other opportunities in the market. If the pay is increased to the correct level, those jobs will be filled. The presence of illegals allows these wages to be held artificially lower. This fact, along with the high level of welfare benefits, allow many Americans to sit on their butts while illegals do jobs they should be doing.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:37 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Thanks for posting this.
Your welcome. I did revise it. France is 2/3 the cost. Cuba is 1/3 the cost and still delivers the same healthcare as your average american gets.

Last edited by padcrasher; 09-09-2008 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections