Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 10:26 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,081,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
If Dr. #1 wants to charge you $250 to look at and treat your bad knee, and Dr. #2 does the same but wants to charge you $400, you are obviously going to go to Dr. #1 assuming their qualifications and services are all the same. By continually losing business to Dr. #1, Dr. #2 will soon be forced to lower his price, or alter some other financial input into his business.
Ah yes, the wonderful free market laissez faire capitalism.. Yeah, that'll really work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 10:32 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,290,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Yeah, that'll really work.

Actually - it will really work

5,979 posts, read 19,910,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post
That is hardly a fact. My sister had a gap in coverage and when I asked her why, she gave me the same answer I hear on here... fully based upon the assumption that insurance was too expensive based upon the sole information (or lack thereof) from her COBRA cost. When I provided her with quotes for regular insurance, gap insurance, as well as HSA based insurance, she was shocked to see that coverage was available for 1/4 of the price that she was quoted for COBRA.

Most people assume coverage is too expensive without ever having looked.

I ran into the same case in my part time job while attending college, where people had always assumed that the cost of a college education was beyond their means... but when encouraged to at least look and apply for aid were shocked to realize that their financial situation allowed for grants and reduced tuition fees.

You would be amazed at the number of people who live their life based upon assumptions and do little research.
COBRA is always more expensive than private individual insurance as the real cost of premiums is subsidized as much as 80%-90% by employers. There are states also that prevent insurance companies from declining coverage for pre-existing conditions if you can show proof of prior coverage, whether private or through your employer. Granted that the premiums will be expensive due to pre-ex, if you live in one of these states, they cannot refuse you insurance. Might be a worthy exercise to check your state's DOI site to see if this applies to you. KLMI is right...if you live life based on assumptions instead of doing a little research, then many opportunities just pass you by.

2,935 posts, read 6,720,725 times
Quote:
Ah yes, the wonderful free market laissez faire capitalism.. Yeah, that'll really work.
Why is CVS moving into the market using nurse practitioners in their MinuteClinics? Is it because they are looking to be philanthropic, or because they see an opportunity to make money by providing the same services for basic healthcare at a lower cost?

But if you want me to dumb down my response, I can play your game. Ah, yes, the wonderful world of government providing services at a high cost with no recourse for mismanagement.. Yeah, that'll really work.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:39 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,992,629 times
Quote:

Um, it works for just about every other industry in the country...and in many other places around the world.

It just is not being given a chance with the health care industry.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:57 AM

1,827 posts, read 2,591,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats what I want to know, your an independent contractor (realtor), I'm an independent contractor and self employed, work 15 hours a day, and these people think I should work 16 hours a day so they dont have to work 9? Talking about rude...

Lol, you get the "why are you rude" private messages too? Amazing, I am NOT rich by any stretch but why should I expect someone who works 15 or 20 hours a day to carry me? Like their thug buddies, theft and redistribution is their MO.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:05 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,081,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
Lol, you get the "why are you rude" private messages too? Amazing, I am NOT rich by any stretch but why should I expect someone who works 15 or 20 hours a day to carry me? Like their thug buddies, theft and redistribution is their MO.
LOL if you are working 15 to 20 hours a day (is that even possible, I mean come on with the exaggerations) then that is really sad. However, its abnormal and Americans shoudln't need to work like they do in third world countries just to survive. Or is that where we're headed under 8 years of Republican mismanagement?

Old 09-10-2008, 11:13 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,736,370 times
Quote:
LOL if you are working 15 to 20 hours a day (is that even possible, I mean come on with the exaggerations) then that is really sad. However, its abnormal and Americans shoudln't need to work like they do in third world countries just to survive. Or is that where we're headed under 8 years of Republican mismanagement?

show me someone successful in business who only worked 8 hours a day. I don't mean content, I mean in the top 5%.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:13 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,186,917 times
Quote:
yes, its fully possible, especially when you work from home, (i.e. 2 more hours of commuting saved) and you LOVE your work..

Old 09-10-2008, 11:14 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,736,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
yes, its fully possible, especially when you work from home, (i.e. 2 more hours of commuting saved) and you LOVE your work..
I work tons of hours because I am so absolutely passionate about what I do. It's not like work to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections