Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 06:30 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,685,300 times

Advertisements

Either he is confused as most of us think he is or he has some kind of problem remembering something he has said.

He said himself he does not have the experience needed to become President.

2004 Flashback: Obama Felt He Lacked Experience To Be President | NewsBusters.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 06:31 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,451,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smd1998 View Post
Either he is confused as most of us think he is or he has some kind of problem remembering something he has said.

He said himself he does not have the experience needed to become President.

2004 Flashback: Obama Felt He Lacked Experience To Be President | NewsBusters.org
He wasn't running for president in 2004, what's your point?

Old 09-14-2008, 06:40 PM

Yea, he said he wouldn't do that and turned around and did.

Read the quotes, he said he does not have the experience to be President and 4 years being a Senator with 2 of those years not on the job would not make him qualified now would it?

Old 09-14-2008, 06:45 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,451,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smd1998 View Post
he said he does not have the experience to be President and 4 years being a Senator with 2 of those years not on the job would not make him qualified now would it?
Obviously approximately half of the people of the United States think he is qualified....

Old 09-14-2008, 06:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
its not about personality its about principle. we are going broke fast only person talking about doing something about it is him. fiscal responsibility. GOP might talk it but not doing it.
i am betting (with my wallet) that the american people got a whole lot smarter the last 8 years. its not about pretty girls its not about flag waving its not even about being black its about the money. show me the money. when DOD gets rich and takes control of DC, everybody loses.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 09-14-2008 at 07:23 PM..

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times
You "thing" so?

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
"I think this experience thing is phony as a three-dollar bill. This guy's been in elected office for twelve consecutive years. That's more than Reagan was, more the Carter was, more than George Bush was, in fact double the amount of time Bush was in elected office, the same as Clinton and Bush One, and a couple of years less than John Kennedy. Some of that was in Illinois which is hardly the minor leagues of American politics, and he represented more people in his state senate district than live in the entire state of Alaska. He was an extremely effective state legislator. He's been an extremely effective United States senator. And frankly I don't know exactly what John McCain's executive experience is, to tell you the truth." - Michael Dukakis on Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipm8 View Post
He wasn't running for president in 2004, what's your point?
I think the point is to post a provocative headline that will impress susceptible minds. Doesnt have to be true you know. And while Republicans are comfortable with lying and encourage lying among "the base," even Karl Rove, of all people, has had to come out publicly and admit the McCain camp's lying is pathological and must be reined in. Very sad and embarrassing for a feeble old candidate who once promised he would run a clean campaign.

Last edited by delusianne; 09-14-2008 at 06:57 PM..

Old 09-14-2008, 06:56 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"I think this experience thing is phony as a three-dollar bill. This guy's been in elected office for twelve consecutive years. That's more than Reagan was, more the Carter was, more than George Bush was, in fact double the amount of time Bush was in elected office, the same as Clinton and Bush One, and a couple of years less than John Kennedy. Some of that was in Illinois which is hardly the minor leagues of American politics, and he represented more people in his state senate district than live in the entire state of Alaska. He was an extremely effective state legislator. He's been an extremely effective United States senator. And frankly I don't know exactly what John McCain's executive experience is, to tell you the truth." - Michael Dukakis on Obama

Really? How was he an extremely effective state legislator?

Everything shows he pretty much did nothing up until his last year when he and the "kingmakers" started putting his name on bills he didn't write:

“He said, ‘Cliff, I’m gonna make me a U.S. Senator.’”

“Oh, you are? Who might that be?”

“Barack Obama.”

Jones appointed Obama sponsor of virtually every high-profile piece of legislation, angering many rank-and-file state legislators who had more seniority than Obama and had spent years championing the bills.

“I took all the beatings and insults and endured all the racist comments over the years from nasty Republican committee chairmen,” State Senator Rickey Hendon, the original sponsor of landmark racial profiling and videotaped confession legislation yanked away by Jones and given to Obama, complained to me at the time. “Barack didn’t have to endure any of it, yet, in the end, he got all the credit.

“I don’t consider it bill jacking,” Hendon told me. “But no one wants to carry the ball 99 yards all the way to the one-yard line, and then give it to the halfback who gets all the credit and the stats in the record book.”

During his seventh and final year in the state Senate, Obama’s stats soared. He sponsored a whopping 26 bills passed into law — including many he now cites in his presidential campaign when attacked as inexperienced.

It was a stunning achievement that started him on the path of national politics — and he couldn’t have done it without Jones.

Before Obama ran for U.S. Senate in 2004, he was virtually unknown even in his own state. Polls showed fewer than 20 percent of Illinois voters had ever heard of Barack Obama.

Jones further helped raise Obama’s profile by having him craft legislation addressing the day-to-day tragedies that dominated local news *headlines.

For instance. Obama sponsored a bill banning the use of the diet supplement ephedra, which killed a Northwestern University football player, and another one preventing the use of pepper spray or pyrotechnics in nightclubs in the wake of the deaths of 21 people during a stampede at a Chicago nightclub. Both stories had received national attention and extensive local coverage.

I spoke to Jones earlier this week and he confirmed his conversation with Kelley, adding that he gave Obama the legislation because he believed in Obama’s ability to negotiate with Democrats and Republicans on divisive issues.

So how has Obama repaid Jones?

Last June, to prove his commitment to government transparency, Obama released a comprehensive list of his earmark requests for fiscal year 2008. It comprised more than $300 million in pet projects for Illinois, including tens of millions for Jones’s Senate district.

Shortly after Jones became Senate president, I remember asking his view on pork-barrel spending.

I’ll never forget what he said:

“Some call it pork; I call it steak.”

Barack Obama and Me - News - Houston Presspage 1 - Houston Press

BTW, state legislator is a part time job. You "work" about two months out of the year.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

Everything shows he pretty much did nothing up until his last year when he and the "kingmakers" started putting his name on bills he didn't write:

“Barack Obama.”

Jones appointed Obama sponsor of virtually every high-profile piece of legislation, angering many rank-and-file state legislators who had more seniority than Obama and had spent years championing the bills.

“I took all the beatings and insults and endured all the racist comments over the years from nasty Republican committee chairmen,” State Senator Rickey Hendon, the original sponsor of landmark racial profiling and videotaped confession legislation yanked away by Jones and given to Obama, complained to me at the time. “Barack didn’t have to endure any of it, yet, in the end, he got all the credit.

“I don’t consider it bill jacking,” Hendon told me. “But no one wants to carry the ball 99 yards all the way to the one-yard line, and then give it to the halfback who gets all the credit and the stats in the record book.”

During his seventh and final year in the state Senate, Obama’s stats soared. He sponsored a whopping 26 bills passed into law — including many he now cites in his presidential campaign when attacked as inexperienced.

It was a stunning achievement that started him on the path of national politics — and he couldn’t have done it without Jones.

Before Obama ran for U.S. Senate in 2004, he was virtually unknown even in his own state. Polls showed fewer than 20 percent of Illinois voters had ever heard of Barack Obama.

Jones further helped raise Obama’s profile by having him craft legislation addressing the day-to-day tragedies that dominated local news *headlines.

For instance. Obama sponsored a bill banning the use of the diet supplement ephedra, which killed a Northwestern University football player, and another one preventing the use of pepper spray or pyrotechnics in nightclubs in the wake of the deaths of 21 people during a stampede at a Chicago nightclub. Both stories had received national attention and extensive local coverage.

I spoke to Jones earlier this week and he confirmed his conversation with Kelley, adding that he gave Obama the legislation because he believed in Obama’s ability to negotiate with Democrats and Republicans on divisive issues.

Last June, to prove his commitment to government transparency, Obama released a comprehensive list of his earmark requests for fiscal year 2008. It comprised more than $300 million in pet projects for Illinois, including tens of millions for Jones’s Senate district.

Shortly after Jones became Senate president, I remember asking his view on pork-barrel spending.

BTW, state legislator is a part time job. You "work" about two months out of the year.
You are one amazing poster. Filled with facts and detail.

Cannot wait to see the excuses from liberals on this one.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:07 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

“Barack Obama.”

That will leave a mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections