Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:45 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,810,190 times

Advertisements

Lets remember that this board has some operatives from both campaigns. Wouldn't be surprised if there were also some gov't operatives too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 12:47 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,232,382 times
Oddly, if the question was asked "If McCain gets elected, what will happen to White America"........................ Everyone would accuse the poster of being a racist.

Racism only has a chance of diminishing if people quit making every issue all about them.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:48 PM

78,468 posts, read 60,666,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
but as a White male you had every unearned advantage you could hope for so I can't feel too sorry for you.
Oh really? Maybe if the guy is in his 40's or older.
In my *reality* if I had been black I would have gotten a full ride to Harvard instead of having to pay my own way through state college.

Affirmative action, quotas and other factors have definitely sought to tilt the playing field. (and I'm not opposed to some of these programs)

Right now, if you are Black and from a good family that values education...you are really in an extremely good position as you don't get the baggage of coming from a tough home environment and get the perks.

I wish more programs were designed to help people based upon socio-economic backgrounds instead of skin color.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:52 PM

451 posts, read 1,228,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
In my *reality* if I had been black I would have gotten a full ride to Harvard instead of having to pay my own way through state college.

Affirmative action, quotas and other factors have definitely sought to tilt the playing field. (and I'm not opposed to some of these programs)

Right now, if you are Black and from a good family that values education...you are really in an extremely good position as you don't get the baggage of coming from a tough home environment and get the perks.

I wish more programs were designed to help people based upon socio-economic backgrounds instead of skin color.

I agree with you 100 percent. I know a lot of them target minority students and you have some who really don't need the help but since its free they take it. I got a friend who got into U of WI. Full ride even though his dad was a doctor, and got his degree when other students could have used the money.

But You did have options. You coulda went to a HBCU on a minority scholarship. When I was in the navy, I met a girl who went to Hampton U on a minority scholarship. And Hampton is no crappy school and she was going for next to nothing. So options were available, I don't think they are just advertised the way they should be.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:13 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
Someone brought up a good point in another thread.

We can all argue why Black America has fallen behind in almost every major statistical category.

There are many reasons and excuses given.. everthing from slavery to racism to prejudice to white people in general to poverty, etc.

So Obama is President.

No more excuses.

Will Black America change?

They lead in some bad statistical categories like AIDS, Poverty, Welfare, Murder, Violent Crime, Robbery, dropout rates... will these stats change??
Obama as President is not going to change the plight of blacks in the US overnight. For one, thanks to the bailouts, the deficits, the occupation of Iraq, and the tanking of the dollar, amongst other things, there is not going to be much, if any, money to put into programs targeting blacks and others living in or near poverty. But his election will show all Americans that being black is not in and of itself the handicap that many make it out to be. And the fact that Obama is completely outside of the Civil Rights-era black political process shows the limits of relying on this outmoded mindset to improve things for blacks.

I'm of the opinion that too many blacks got stuck in a Civil Rights era mindset where they continue to believe that they are victims of some natural order that is in place to repress them. While this may be the case in some remote areas, it is pretty much not the case in most/all metropolitan areas in the US.

The real problems of blacks today is poverty and the attendant problems (poor schools, crime, drugs) and not racial repression. But when you are black and poor this might be a bit hard to see. Poverty is a vicious cycle that can be very hard to break out of, but this is just as true for white West Virginians as it is for black Detroiters.

One of the first steps required to break the cycle is knowing that there is a better way. Until that recognition happens, the cycle will never be broken.

And it does not take handouts to break out of the cycle. I grew up and went to school in a primarily poor black town, Richmond, CA. While not poor by any means, my family was not particularly over-nurturing about the education process, and the school district I grew up in was not a good one. But I did graduate and knew that college was a possibility. No free ride though - no money from the family whatsoever for that. So it took me 10 years to get a degree, working full time (mostly in mind-numbingly crappy jobs) and going to school at night. Without that degree I would not have landed the job I have that pays for a lifestyle much more affluent than the one I grew up in.

So my sorta-rags to sorta-riches story tells me that others can do the same, but they have to know that it is possible. That is what I hope Obama's run for the Presidency does for some percentage of black kids across the US.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:24 PM

552 posts, read 1,073,903 times
Quote:

If you had been Black a lot more than just your skin color would change. If you're Black it doesn't matter how good your family is, in the eyes of some (too many) Americans you're still subhuman.

When you're White, your actions do not reflect upon the rest of your race. When you're White and late, people don't snicker to themselves and think "of course he'd be late, he's WHITE". When you're White and on time, people don't go "wow, you're not like the REST of them".

Of course, this goes for all other minorities as well, and White women to an extent. It bothers me how people seem to forget about every other minority and make everything out to be a Black/White issue.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:34 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,833,796 times
Quote:
If Obama gets elected, what changes will happen in Black America?
nothing!

let me guess another racist trying to be funny brought this up huh. i can see someone posting he'll offer repiratioin checks to american blacks.. so sad so sad ppl have the mindframe to think like that

Old 09-22-2008, 01:58 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,670,442 times
Quote:

Now that is quite a reality.........do you have evidence of this from the Harvard admission office, or are you just thinking wistfully and wishfully?

Old 09-22-2008, 03:16 PM

487 posts, read 1,817,087 times
Quote:

If affirmative action is the great equalizer that people claim it to be, how come all Blacks aren't going to Ivy league universities or in top positions in their workplaces. I wish people who claim that this equals the playing field could step into any black man's shoe and see how far this gets you. As a matter of fact, i bet most people, if they had the choice to be a black person (so they can use the "great affirmative action) would refuse.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:26 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,532,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
Good point.. all their arguments go away.. who will they point to next?

Perhaps they will change their fight to other minorities. They will say all the eskimos in Alaska are poor because our President is black and doesn't understand them.
Kind of an asinine point, but even if it was true, what would be wrong with it? In their long careers, granted not as often, I've heard that Jackson and Sharpton have fought against oppression of other minorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections