Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 08:49 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,950,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkemery View Post
Why was Colin Powell, Condi Rice and other black Americans not an inspiration? Are you saying that only Obama becoming president is the only inspiration?

While I am NOT saying the Obama is saying this, I have heard many black individuals I work with say that once he is president the "whites can now suffer like we have all these years." I am curious people on both sides are intent upon turning this into a race issue. I read much on the internet and this site from both sides about how if Obama doesn't win there will be riots, how if he loses it is only because he is black, how all white people are bigots, to name a few things. I know, or hope, that this is just people on the extreme. I for one am trying to research both men and make a decision on their positions and their plans for this country.

Of course there are other inspirational black people and Colin Powell and Condi Rice are good examples, even if I don't agree with them politically. But, for ALL children to see first hand that a black person can become president is the ultimate confirmation of their own potential, regardless of their color. That is an awesome message that will, IMO, affect the thinking of our young generation in a profound and positive way. I don't think that Obama becoming pres. will have a huge effect on our generation, but it will on the next.

I get your apprehension about this election focusing too much on race. But you are generalizing too much just because you spoke to some idiots. I don't think the majority of people are voting solely based on race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 08:53 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,686,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
I think they'll all move to Maine and found another country again.
We will have to start from scratch and make sure no liberals are allowed in.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,045,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smd1998 View Post
We will have to start from scratch and make sure no liberals are allowed in.
I'll chip in for your airfare!!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:05 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,686,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
I'll chip in for your airfare!!
I am not a liberal to take handouts. I can get there on my own.

We will sweep the trash off the map starting in Maine and work our way to California.

The end of liberalism and the destruction of America.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:06 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,700,195 times
Default white tree or black

I thought obamas family tree had more white in it then black? Am i wrong? If more white then why does he call himself black.

Anyway, who knows what changes will take place! Hopefully even for all! But the guy at my job still insists obama should and has to win because its the black mans turn to rule America! Afterall the white man has always rules, so its now the black mans turn huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
Someone brought up a good point in another thread.

We can all argue why Black America has fallen behind in almost every major statistical category.

There are many reasons and excuses given.. everthing from slavery to racism to prejudice to white people in general to poverty, etc.

So Obama is President.

No more excuses.

Will Black America change?

They lead in some bad statistical categories like AIDS, Poverty, Welfare, Murder, Violent Crime, Robbery, dropout rates... will these stats change??

Old 09-22-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smd1998 View Post
I am not a liberal to take handouts. I can get there on my own.

We will sweep the trash off the map starting in Maine and work our way to California.

The end of liberalism and the destruction of America.
Don't let the door hit you on the back side on the way out - glad you to how much you really love America.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:07 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,237,325 times
In ten words or less...

Quote:
If Obama gets elected, what changes will happen in Black America?
Black American will learn to understand the phrase 'be careful what you wish for'.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:10 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,590,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
Don't let the door hit you on the back side on the way out - glad you to how much you really love America.

Thanks for your unselfish service to our great country!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:12 PM

726 posts, read 2,270,177 times
Like many people here said. I dont think anything is gonna really change.
He is not a god, and he's not a savior.

I'm voting for him, but that doesn't mean he, and he alone is going to change anything in the the black community.
America is composed of many races. He cant just cater to Blacks, and I dont expect him to do that.

I'm just hoping that he's an influence to other minorities and young black men.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
Thanks for your unselfish service to our great country!
You are welcome! 8 years United States Army!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections