Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:12 AM

532 posts, read 908,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post

What's to talk about in regard to education? The black mainstream doesn't want it. The best I can tell, black mainstream thinks that money is required to motivate... as if a person who doesn't like fish is going to enjoy it if it's wrapped in a $100 bill.
Please tell me where you get this special insight into what "Black Mainstream" wants?

Quote:
It depends on the person's experience. If the only interactions they've had has been with lazy blacks wanting handouts, it would be accurate to say "the black people I've encountered have been lazy and wanting handouts. Therefore, I conclude-- until evidence to the contrary presents itself-- black people are lazy and wanting handouts." As long as that person remains open-minded, they are not racist.
This is the very definition of racism. I grew up in a small town where most of the people were very uneducated, bigoted, etc. So logically, I guess I should conclude that all white people are that way? Come on, that's just ridiculous.
Quote:
This exposes the underlying deficiency in mainstream black culture. Black people were defeated and enslaved. They were granted freedom in progressing degrees. They should be thankful because them being freed from slavery was on option exercised by whites.
Are you really saying you think black people should be thanking us for enslaving them???
Quote:
However, despite the generosity of whites, black culture includes a sense of entitlement: You owe me freedom. That's wrong. No one is owed freedom. To have it, you have to be willing to die for it-- literally... but black culture, never having fought for freedom, retains the slave aspect that accepts subjugation... and then you whine that black people's feelings are hurt. Sure they are, because they've made up artificial reasons to be hurt.
Are you saying slavery isn't real? Discrimination isn't real???

I can say this with complete confidence: You are a racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 11:34 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
Please tell me where you get this special insight into what "Black Mainstream" wants?
I was raised in and on the border of Detroit, MI.

Quote:
This is the very definition of racism. I grew up in a small town where most of the people were very uneducated, bigoted, etc. So logically, I guess I should conclude that all white people are that way? Come on, that's just ridiculous.
If that has been your experience, then you must conclude it. You have no other choice if you're an intelligent person. (Your response, I'm sure, will be "intelligent people know that all people of a race are/are not... " I would respond that knowledgeable people know that, but intelligence and knowledge aren't related in this instance because of the limits stated.)

However, again, you must remain open minded to not being correct.

Quote:
Are you really saying you think black people should be thanking us for enslaving them???
Are you really incapable of understanding a basic concept or are you really that manipulative that you'll not respond to the concept?

Quote:
Are you saying slavery isn't real? Discrimination isn't real???
Not at all. I'm saying that the cause of people's grievance with slavery and discrimination is an expectation that one shouldn't be enslaved or discriminated against.

I have never heard a reason why people should be upset over their ancestors being enslaved. I have never heard a reason why a person should be upset over discrimination. Do you know why they should be upset?

Quote:
I can say this with complete confidence: You are a racist.
What makes me a racist?

Old 09-30-2008, 11:40 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
[quote=One Thousand;5487877]However, despite the generosity of whites, black culture includes a sense of entitlement: You owe me freedom. That's wrong. No one is owed freedom. To have it, you have to be willing to die for it-- literally... but black culture, never having fought for freedom, retains the slave aspect that accepts subjugation... and then you whine that black people's feelings are hurt. Sure they are, because they've made up artificial reasons to be hurt.

QUOTE]

How ignorant can a person be? Black people have fought and died for YOUR freedom...as well as their own. Every single war that Americans have fought...from the Revolution up to the current wars....have had brave black people fighting for America's freedom. If a person has not had enough education to know even THAT much American History then I feel comfortable in assuming that all their thoughts are based on equally ignorant lack of knowledge.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML revised View Post
Quote:
However, despite the generosity of whites, black culture includes a sense of entitlement: You owe me freedom. That's wrong. No one is owed freedom. To have it, you have to be willing to die for it-- literally... but black culture, never having fought for freedom, retains the slave aspect that accepts subjugation... and then you whine that black people's feelings are hurt. Sure they are, because they've made up artificial reasons to be hurt.
How ignorant are you? Black people have fought and died for YOUR freedom...as well as their own. Every single war that Americans have fought...from the Revolution up to the current wars....have had brave black people fighting for America's freedom. If you haven't had enough education to know even THAT much American History then I feel comfortable in assuming that all your thoughts are based on equally ignorant lack of knowledge.
Put the phrase back in context and then respond. Your response reflects a petty distinction that exists only when the phrase is divorced from the paragraph.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:50 AM

532 posts, read 908,843 times
I'm at work so I really don't have the time to devote to this I would like- later I will. But I just want to respond to this part:
"If that has been your experience, then you must conclude it. You have no other choice if you're an intelligent person. (Your response, I'm sure, will be "intelligent people know that all people of a race are/are not... " I would respond that knowledgeable people know that, but intelligence and knowledge aren't related in this instance because of the limits stated.)"

That was my experience, but my parents taught me that there are many different people in all parts of the world and I always knew that my tiny bit of experience in a tiny town of less than 5,000 people couldn't possibly be extrapolated into "knowledge" of the entire world. I also read books (and I'm proud of it) which exposed me to different cultures and ways of thinking.
Why would you assume that because you live in Detroit and you have clearly had some bad experiences with black people that has anything at all to do with other areas of the world? You absolutely cannot judge an entire race of people based on your perception of the people around you. It is very small-minded.
I lived in Philadelphia and I had some bad experiences with black people, white people, hispanic people, everyone. I also had some good experiences with all those types of people. There is no correlation between race and "goodness". There is no correlation between race and "badness".
If you want to say that you think poor, uneducated people are lazy and greedy, that would make a lot more sense than trying to make it have anything to do with race.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:04 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,416 times
Quote:
Put the phrase back in context and then respond. Your response reflects a petty distinction that exists only when the phrase is divorced from the paragraph.
Like eastcoastlady I don't have much time to respond atm either. Short and sweet:

The statement is worse when in the context of the paragraph. It has nothing to do with petty distinctions or divorced phrases.

The only thing worse than a racist is a racist who attempts to use intellect to justify their feelings in order to act as if they have valid reasons for their prejudices that somehow then make them unracist.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:05 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
Like eastcoastlady I don't have much time to respond atm either. Short and sweet:

The statement is worse when in the context of the paragraph. It has nothing to do with petty distinctions or divorced phrases.

The only thing worse than a racist is a racist who attempts to use intellect to justify their feelings in order to act as if they have valid reasons for their prejudices that somehow then make them unracist.
Especially when there is no intellect present..........

Old 09-30-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
That was my experience, but my parents taught me that there are many different people in all parts of the world and I always knew that my tiny bit of experience in a tiny town of less than 5,000 people couldn't possibly be extrapolated into "knowledge" of the entire world.
Then you're totally changing the argument from "a person who only knows bad about a race" to "a person who has had bad experiences but exposure to others who've had positive experiences." Appropriately, your conclusions reflected your experiences. However, we're back to my initial argument that a person with limited experience is right to make conclusions based on that experience.

Quote:
Why would you assume that because you live in Detroit and you have clearly had some bad experiences with black people that has anything at all to do with other areas of the world?
I wouldn't call my experiences with blacks "bad". I don't assume my experiences apply globally. I assume that we're talking about the U.S.

If the question is rephrased to say "why do you think your experience with black people has anything to do with blacks across the nation?" I would respond "because blacks in the U.S. have a common history (excluding, of course, post-slavery immigrants). People with common experiences, IME, frequently have common interpretations and, therefore, value-sets that result from the common interpretations."

Quote:
You absolutely cannot judge an entire race of people based on your perception of the people around you. It is very small-minded.
And I think it's terribly foolish to depend on the opinions of others-- those who suffer no consequences for your bad decisions-- to form your opinions. (However, I think you're mistaking what I'm saying here. "Judge" is too strong. "Assume characteristics about" is fitting to replace "judge".)

Quote:
There is no correlation between race and "goodness". There is no correlation between race and "badness".
In my experience, there is a higher frequency of laziness and other characteristics I disapprove of within the black community than the white community. If you want to parse words ("goodness/badness") over what that means, so be it, but I don't think it's necessary.

Quote:
If you want to say that you think poor, uneducated people are lazy and greedy, that would make a lot more sense than trying to make it have anything to do with race.
I never said greedy. (I'm assuming you're black because blacks and whites use greedy in a different way. Blacks seem to use it to mean taking more than necessary. Whites use it to mean taking more than what's deserved or fair. This single word continues to be the most striking statement about cultural differences I've seen... Such a little thing as a few letters exposes so much about our peoples.)

I don't believe it's related to money and you can't see an education, but you can see race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
Okay. Can you explain why?

Quote:
The only thing worse than a racist is a racist who attempts to use logic to explain their feelings in order to act as if they have valid reasons for their prejudices that somehow make them unracist.
I revised your statement to better connect with the situation.

Why is an irrational racist superior to a rational racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Especially when there is no intellect present..........
Then it seems to me to be a statement about you because you're unable to refute my assertions. If my positions are stupid, it would be easy for a smart person to expose the stupidity of them... and would leave those of inferior intellect to resort to attacks.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:15 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,341,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
They also have to remember Obama is where he is today BECAUSE he is black, not in SPITE of it. If Obama were Barry O'Brien, typical white Senator from Illinois, South Carolina, Mississippi, etc. would have been big wins for Hillary, and Obama would have gone the way of Chris Dodd.

Obama's race has worked for him (and he admits as much on his own Senate website), and if people were so concerned that racism might hinder his chances in the "big contest", they should have been realistic about it before choosing him. What next for the Democrats? Run an open homosexual candidate and then cry about homophobia if he loses? You have to be realistic.

Obama's BIGGEST problems, however, have nothing to dow ith his race. His associations, his hardline leftism, his flip flopping and his lack of experience, as well as his mealy mouth patriotism probably weight a LOT more. He doesn't get to be president automatically because he is a Democrat and Bush is a screwup Republican.
--------------

I disagree perhaps because at one time I was going to vote for him.

He was "put on the map" by Oprah Winfrey who I call the Pied Piper of women .
She endorsed him and the media,etc gave him a platform to be heard.

After that he took off on his own . The country was starving for change . Hillary was same ole same ole pro career politician.

I think that is why the Dem masses flocked to him ESP college students who voted in record numbers .
Hillary did NOT move the under 30 bunch .
In my case I left the Obama camp and going Independent but he ran a great race against Hillary and beat her .

The same ole same ole Dem bunch politicians were not on his side as they did not want to offend Hillary.
It was only when he began to win state after state did they join him.

If anything what helped him initially was his lack of being a political insider .
It just happened to be he is a Black man who is not a political insider but again country was starving/still is for change. That was his message and it rang out.

# Oprah has enraged plenty of Hillary supporters for endorsing the man who beat Hillary so wouldn't call her "Pied Piper of women" anymore.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:21 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,341,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
Reading stuff like that article just makes me sick. I am glad I do not have children, I just cannot see myself explaining to my children "Expect to get treated different in life because you're black." I can't do it.

boo hoo hoo PC junk like that is so lame . You have people with all types of prejudice in ALL Groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections