Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 02:54 PM

10 posts, read 6,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
You're a friend of BWP. Why would you comment that about me? I've been here since December of 2006. I am not new here. I'm just sick of your inability to enjoy yourselves.

If Obama is your hope, then vote for him. Maybe I will too. I'm still undecided until the second that I fill that line in.

Whomever I vote for, they're gonna have to earn my vote. Stuff can happen between then and now.

I'm just getting sick of how it's being spun here. Not just at City-Data, but in Cyberspace. On any forum. People are going nuts.
*scratching head* well clearly you have not poked your head in here for the pass 6 months because the ravenous mud slinging has been shoveled from all sides. One particular group is not guilty of doing all of it by any stretch of the imagination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 03:00 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Quote:
You're a friend of BWP. Why would you comment that about me? I've been here since December of 2006. I am not new here. I'm just sick of your inability to enjoy yourselves.

If Obama is your hope, then vote for him. Maybe I will too. I'm still undecided until the second that I fill that line in.

Whomever I vote for, they're gonna have to earn my vote. Stuff can happen between then and now.

I'm just getting sick of how it's being spun here. Not just at City-Data, but in Cyberspace. On any forum. People are going nuts.
I have this recollection that the Obama camp rounded up and hired a bunch of tech geeks to flood these forums. I find them entertainment. The election will be what it will be and I fully expect Obama to be the next Pres. However, I will vote for McCain for only one reason...that being I refuse to let the popular media pick my President. The sheeple will.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:05 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
However, I will vote for McCain for only one reason...that being I refuse to let the popular media pick my President. The sheeple will.
You're entitled to vote for whomever you want. The media don't come into the voting booth with you.

What does "I refuse to let the popular media pick my President" mean?

By "sheeple," do you mean the majority of delegates or the majority of voters?

Old 10-01-2008, 03:06 PM

10 posts, read 6,042 times
Quote:
I have this recollection that the Obama camp rounded up and hired a bunch of tech geeks to flood these forums. I find them entertainment. The election will be what it will be and I fully expect Obama to be the next Pres. However, I will vote for McCain for only one reason...that being I refuse to let the popular media pick my President. The sheeple will.
If that is your sole reason for voting for a candidate, you are a sheep too, you've allowed the perceived propaganda machine to effect your vote.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:59 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:
Nice to know that our country means so much to you that you will cast your vote out of spite, not because of what is good for the country.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:07 PM

18,018 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
its sad. you did nothing to raise the level of discourse here.
That's not true. Some people have seen something good in it...as a whole.

I'm sorry if the ghetto term upsets anybody. I did say it in anger too, but it's got many connotations. Pick one. I was reactionary when I started the thread, and I don't start many in P&OC because I'm not well versed in it. But I have lived a few places and travel a lot for work, so I've seen some stuff.

I know words are missused and attitudes evolve to what's popular, but who are you or I to judge that?

Whether or not I've raised the bar in here, I don't know. I did for me. I still see some knee-jerk reactions of people defending their candidate. If you've got a candidate, great. Vote for them. If you're defending your candidate vocally and with rancor, you're politicing! Which is fine. You have that right. But it's time for me to pick one and move on. I've got State and Local issues to start focussing in on now.

But thanks for coming in here and giving me something to think about. This is the good part of forums. Some people wont always tell you what they think. Even your family and friends. It takes courage to do this face to face. I try to use it and capitalize on it.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:02 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,945 times
Quote:
Well, I'll run some of the forum thread titles down to you;

Life begins at Rape
Pitbull or Prom Queen
Poll: Do you feel sorry for _____ _______ ?
Sarah Palin Pity Party
Poll: Who's more prejudice?
25 ways to cover up your racism if you don't vote for Obama
2/3's from the south
Will there be riots if Obama loses
Floozie
McCain: I hate the _______'s
White Privilege ( actually, I had a good time in this thread, but a troll thread to begin with IMO )
Is _________ __________ gonna fall into depression when they lose?
Here's what Obama did for Chicago (not a flattering portrayal)
What kind of guy would call his wife the C-word?
McCain: I don't care about you people
VP Swimsuit Competition
Poll: Should Obama followers take off the Obama Goggles?
Palin Miss Teen USA 2008
McCain: Traitor

Just to name a few. I could have dug them out more evenly, but these are ones that stuck out for me.

My point here isn't to point fingers at one side or the other. I think these are some pretty sick threads just by the thread title and thus a ghetto. A place you don't want to leave your car.
let me add one [QUOTEDoes spelling indicate a persons character?[/quote]
Quote:
Are people in interracial relationships as happy as people in same race relationships?

Old 10-02-2008, 07:34 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,316 times
Quote:
This isn't City-Data. I go along and just look at the thread titles anymore and just say, "No way."

Then I look at the number of closed threads now.

The Democrats are doing very well in public opinion, mass-media, the polls, this forum... Congratulations. You seem to have to upper hand for sure.

You're winning. You'll probably take Florida soon, and that'll be it in my opinion.

Obama and Biden! They'll probably win the 08 Presidential Election! Congratulations in advance.

So maybe you can start acting like it. What I mean by that is I challenge you to stop the smearing and rubbing it in and start telling us what you think your candidates will do for us. What can we look forward to? When will we start to notice a change for the better and in what ways specifically?

Maybe I could start to at least peek in on and read some of these threads again; not bashing Obama's race or religion... or Sarah's IQ or McCain's age or temper.

Something positive for a change. What do ya say? I always try to bring things back with humor. Can't that be done here as well?
I agree - it's getting pretty ugly - lots of ranting - people talking past each other...

I tried to be positive with this thread I put out - I am voting for Obama for these reasons; http://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...his-stand.html

Old 10-02-2008, 10:02 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
This isn't City-Data. I go along and just look at the thread titles anymore and just say, "No way."

Then I look at the number of closed threads now.

The Democrats are doing very well in public opinion, mass-media, the polls, this forum... Congratulations. You seem to have to upper hand for sure.

You're winning. You'll probably take Florida soon, and that'll be it in my opinion.

Obama and Biden! They'll probably win the 08 Presidential Election! Congratulations in advance.

So maybe you can start acting like it. What I mean by that is I challenge you to stop the smearing and rubbing it in and start telling us what you think your candidates will do for us. What can we look forward to? When will we start to notice a change for the better and in what ways specifically?

Maybe I could start to at least peek in on and read some of these threads again; not bashing Obama's race or religion... or Sarah's IQ or McCain's age or temper.

Something positive for a change. What do ya say? I always try to bring things back with humor. Can't that be done here as well?
Well as noble of an idea as talking about issues and facts are, it is not what people want, even if they say so.

There have been a number of "deeper" and more academic angled topics, threads, and post offered up but more often than not, they get a handful of responses and then fade quickly into a sea a diatribe.

Journalist have a saying, "If it bleeds it leads", and one look around here or any forum that is offered to the public, confirms this. Given a choice, people will almost always choose emotionally driven presentations because it appeals to the most primitive portions of the human brain and are the most reactionary. Same reason why political attack ads are meant to invoke an emotional response as opposed to appealing to logic or higher reasoning.

Keep in mind, this is an information site and relocation guide that happens to have a political section in its forum. If you are seeking a more academic discussion, then this is probably not the place for you. However, I tend to look at things from a chaos up as opposed to a perfection down perspective, so be that as it may, I'm pleased to at least see people discuss contemporary issues and politics at all, because most people simply avoid the subject all together.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:26 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
If you think this forum is "ghetto", check out the immigration forum, it is like a backyard brawl at a kegger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections