Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:41 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie1964 View Post
Again, NONE OF YOUR POSTS goes back to the PRIMITIVE CLAIM. Like most Repugnicians you are skirting the orginial claim. Read through the posts and then come back with verifiable proof that PRIMITIVE people managed the wolves by killing the pups.

As an ecologist I fully understand that there are challenges in environmental management, but you need to read the ORIGINAL POST.

IT IS AGAINST THE LAW FOR ANYONE TO USE THE PRACTICE OF DENNING.

Again, if you are an Anthropologist you will be able to provide the ORGINAL proof that I asked for. Cheers.
Just who do you think were there in Alaska doing denning before Europeans got to Alaska? You may want to study the Alaskan Natives a bit more instead of making ignorant posts about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 10:43 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
You provided a book. Not a respected journal, big difference.
Actually, it's a report rather than a book, though the National Academies Press does publish it's reports in book format.

Wolves, Bears, and Their Prey in Alaska: Biological and Social Challenges in Wildlife Management

The scientists that participated on this committee are all very respected. I'm sure they've all been published in the scientific journals that you're so impressed by. You might try taking a look at the "book's" bibliography.

Quote:
NOTICE: The project that is the subject of this report was approved by the Governing Board of the National Research Council, whose members are drawn from the councils of the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, and the Institute of Medicine. The members of the committee responsible for the report were chosen for their special competencies and with regard for appropriate balance. In preparing its report, the committee invited people with different perspectives to present their views. Such invitation does not imply endorsement of those views.

This report has been reviewed by a group other than the authors according to procedures approved by a Report Review Committee consisting of members of the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, and the Institute of Medicine.

This study by the National Research Council’s Commission on Life Sciences was sponsored by the National Institutes of Health and the National Science Foundation under contract no. N01-OD-4-2139. Points of view in this document are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the sponsoring agencies.
I really don't know why it's such a problem for you that indigenous people practiced denning. And no, I've never used that to support the practice of aerial wolf hunting; I don't support the practice at all.

And unlike you, I can actually do something about it. I can vote on it.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-08-2008 at 11:05 AM..

Old 10-08-2008, 11:15 AM

Oh, and in case you aren't familiar with the Nation Academies, Barbie, this link can tell you a bit about them. Please take note of the number of Nobel Prize winners among it's members.

The National Academies: Advisers to the Nation on Science, Engineering, and Medicine

Now suppose you provide something from a "respected scientific journal" that disputes the fact that indigenous Alaskan people practiced denning.

You'll have about the same luck there that you'd have trying to find a respected source that would prove me to be a member of the RNP.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-08-2008 at 11:28 AM..

Old 10-08-2008, 12:02 PM

645 posts, read 909,878 times
It seems as tho I am having a conversation with two different people, yet their vernacular is very similiar... Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Actually, it's a report rather than a book, t
It is a book, with an ISBN number. It says BOOK at the top of the page.
PAPERBACK
ISBN-10: 0-309-07387-1
ISBN-13: 978-0-309-07387-5
Wolves, Bears, and Their Prey in Alaska: Biological and Social Challenges in Wildlife Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Alaskan natives for thousands of years searched for and killed wolf pups in their dens to control the population when needed. Sounds cruel but they knew overpopulation was worse for all involved: wolves, people, prey animals, etc.
Alaskan natives for thousands of years. All I asked for was documentation of primitive people controlling animal populations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Just who do you think were there in Alaska doing denning before Europeans got to Alaska? You may want to study the Alaskan Natives a bit more instead of making ignorant posts about them.
Mongolians?

Quote:
Now suppose you provide something from a "respected scientific journal" that disputes the fact that indigenous Alaskan people practiced denning.
I don't need to, you see I didn't make the original claim. You are to prove OR disprove your HYPOTHESIS.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:11 PM

I think that the scientists involved in the research that I cited proved it quite nicely, Barbie.

Quote:
Do you know even what the National Academy is and what it's purpose is?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-08-2008 at 12:24 PM..

Old 10-08-2008, 12:22 PM

You might want to take a look at this, Barbie:

Kuskokwim group asks state for permission to kill wolf pups in dens - Juneau Empire

Old 10-08-2008, 01:26 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Significant reports are frequently published in book form.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
It seems as tho I am having a conversation with two different people, yet their vernacular is very similiar... Hmmm.
And our political views are very dissimilar, but somehow we seem to be able to discuss them without eroding into unseemly shrieks of "Repugnican" et al.

I realize that you don't want to believe that Native Alaskans practiced this instead of hanging around in their igloos singing "kum bay ya"--but I'll take the word of a report published by the National Academy over your particular vision. Oh, and I'll take the word of Yu'Pik tribe members over yours as well.

Some advice--the next time the aerial hunting issue comes up for a vote among the people of Alaska--stay out of it. You hurt your cause much more than you helped it in this instance.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:47 PM

645 posts, read 909,878 times
It was YOU, that espoused undocumented information.

Quote:
You hurt your cause much more than you helped it in this instance.
Dream on my friend...

To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant.

I accomplished EXACTLY what I set out to do on this thread. Inform others of the practice of denning, that you sanction, but yet it is illegal.

State biologists KNEW that there would be pups at the den in JUNE/JULY. Period. They were in direct violation of a LAW. Sarah Palin may believe, like the Cheney's and Bush's of the world that she is above the law (remember the email, troopergate, etc scandals). But these state employees need to reprimanded. As public servants these should NOT abuse their power.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I accomplished EXACTLY what I set out to do on this thread. Inform others of the practice of denning, that you sanction, but yet it is illegal.
You are so terribly wrong. You might want to do a search on my posts on this subject before further embarrassing yourself.

Arctichomesteader and I merely pointed out something that most people who live in Alaska already know; I don't see either one of us condoning the practice. Personally I'd like to see the end of it, and I was very much sickened by the actions of the state biologists.

However, if it is stopped, the Natives in Western Alaska will very likely request that the state allow them to continue their traditional practice of predator control.

Quote:
Dream on my friend...
The vote may have turned out differently if some of the voters hadn't been partially reacting to some of the misinformation provided by organizations such as PETA and "Friends" of Animals. Seriously, if it comes up for a vote again, the aerial wolf hunts will have a much better chance of being stopped if groups such as these stay out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections