Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 03:52 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis702 View Post
Redesigning America - a 6 step rehab program - Pacifica, Redneckistan, New American Republic

"Whenever something is wrong, something is too big." --- Leopold Kohr

The USA has gotten too big - the solution - divide it into more cohesive nations

-- image: Creative Commons --

It would require me to move but I am up for it! We should have let the south go when they wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 04:14 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,450,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
So if your opponent has done bad things you're supposed to just ignore it and act like it didn't happen?
If they are truly bad things, they are a matter of record, and the media will report on them. But if a candidate tries to talk about these bad things, they can't help but put their own spin on things, and then it all "spins" out of control.

It happens every election cycle - people complain about negative campaigning, but negative campaigning wouldn't be conducted if it didn't work. And why does it work? People. For some reason, people often like to think the worst of someone, especially someone with whom they disagree.

And in four years, it will happen all over again, and we wouldn't have learned a thing.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:29 PM

573 posts, read 801,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis702 View Post
Redesigning America - a 6 step rehab program - Pacifica, Redneckistan, New American Republic

"Whenever something is wrong, something is too big." --- Leopold Kohr

The USA has gotten too big - the solution - divide it into more cohesive nations
Quote:
There is absolutely nothing in the Constitution or any other legal document which precludes any state or group of states from seceding from the United States. This was true in 1861. Today, countries are split and otherwise reconfigured almost daily and the United States has evolved as the world's moral leader in supporting rights of peoples to declare themselves independent. This is a comfortable position for U.S. politicians ... as long as secession occurs in Europe, Asia, South America, or Africa.
The Civil War: Was secession illegal

Sobran Column -- Free and Independent

http://writers.fultus.com/hawes/eboo...ndivisible.pdf

-- image: Creative Commons --

Last edited by Tennis702; 10-11-2008 at 05:02 PM..

Old 10-11-2008, 04:34 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,319,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It would require me to move but I am up for it! We should have let the south go when they wanted to.

I agree.

I personally think the USA is too large to govern effectively or on a cost conscious basis.

If I may quote from the Declaration of Independence:

"Whenever government becomes destructive of these ends (life, liberty, pursuit of happiness), it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute a new government."

We are at that point, IMHO.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:19 PM

-- image: public domain --

Vermont Public Radio:

"one hour conversation about Vermont's peaceably seceding from the U.S."

Listen to Podcast (MP3)

Old 10-12-2008, 05:22 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,956,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Here's an idea - how about demanding that candidates say not one damned word about their opponents? That they can only talk about themselves, their experience, and their stand on issues? Wouldn't that be refreshing?
Boy, I'd love to see a rule like that. Of course, you'd still hear plenty of slime from the supporters. But yes-- it would be great to have the last month before an election be "the serious season" not "the silly season." We should pass a law that candidates can only talk about issues, isues, and nothing but issues after October 1.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:46 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,706,808 times
I wonder If they are watching this contest in the middle east.
It's a great example of american poltics In action, lets hope they disregard the hate & the bigotry.
As a retired person I've watched all of the debates and I've also seen some of the rallies. I've been really shocked to see the behaviour of Sarah Palin on the stump, and I could'nt believe the appalling bigotry of a section of one of the crowds.
Fox news In the UK Is treated for what It Is, a joke!

Old 10-12-2008, 06:08 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
Don't people think the states was also divided 4 years ago after W won a second term? Remember the United States of Jesusland comic, the table that showed the majority of the top 10 states with high IQs did not vote for W, etc. etc.

I think we have to accept the fact that the US will be divided, especially since 20% is supposedly Evangelical Christian, a GOP base.

And yes Albion, they are watching the contest all over the world, the Middle East included. And yes they talk about the hate and bigotry. I'm a news junkie and I regularly go to bbc, cbc (canada), the australian, new zealand herald and at times aljazeera.. I've seen all the coverage, including the hate speech.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post

I think we have to accept the fact that the US will be divided, especially since 20% is supposedly Evangelical Christian, a GOP base.

We do unless we start seriously considering alternatives. Years ago it used to be shameful for individuals to get divorced. So, many couples stayed in miserable relationships that were destructive to both sides and often to children.

And while among individuals divorce should still not be a first option, there comes a time when we must be adult enough to recognize that people (and nations) can grow apart and one should be mature and objective enough to do what is best for all concerned, whether that is "to work it out" or to peaceably go our separate ways.

After the collapse of the Soviet Union, Czechoslovakia decide to peacefully separate into the Czech Republic and Slovakia. That decision has been good for both sides. Divisions within the USA are far deeper and more fundamental than between these two European nations.

It is time that the USA have the courage that our founding fathers did in seceding from the British Empire. IMO, it would be best for the USA to divide into more cohesive nations more representative of its citizens. Unlike the American secession from the British Empire, there is no reason that it cannot be done voluntarily and peacefully.

After 200 years, the USA is no longer "united" and has not been for a long time. It is long overdue that we, as a nation, seriously consider a no-fault divorce as the best option for ourselves and our children.

Undoubtedly, if peaceful division occurred, the separated nations would still have close ties economically and culturally, just as the USA and Canada have. As in the European Union, free movement of citizens from one separate nation to another would likely remain available.

Societal and governmental competition between nations would be a positive thing likely to force politicians of each new nation to "do the right thing" in order to avoid out-migration to what may be considered a superior society in another American nation. More choices should lead to better governments.

Last edited by Tennis702; 10-12-2008 at 02:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections