Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 11:29 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Isn't it pathetic...this is the best he can come up with??? Another fragmented deep thought from the chipmunk man and his librarian!!!
I couldn't believe this myself...what a moron grasping for straws!!

Yes, politicizing this now...
It has nothing to do with the issues facing Americans, and Obama is right, there are big issues facing us.

McCain was playing on people there, and I didn't get where he was going with that at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 11:33 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,076,439 times
Palin's sister's 13-year-old son has Autism. Palin's son, Trig, has Down's Syndrome. When a family is stricken with a disability, most of the conversations and research will surround on that disability to look for treatment.

Palin is changing the way government will treat children with special needs. Right now, you need an advocate and lawyer to get proper interventions for children with AUTISM.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:36 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
It is medically called Down Syndrome, and is also called Trisomy 21. It has nothing to do with Autism. Down Syndrome is a chromosomal defect and most of those self-abort, but when a woman chooses to have children like Palin did, over the age of 40, the chances for it increase dramatically with each passing year.
Palin's sister's child has autism. THAT is why Palin knows about autism. I saw the sister interviewed not long after Palin was announced as VP and she said they were blessed because the whole family helps.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:36 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,735 times
Quote:
Palin's sister's 13-year-old son has Autism. Palin's son, Trig, has Down's Syndrome. When a family is stricken with a disability, most of the conversations and research will surround on that disability to look for treatment.

Palin is changing the way government will treat children with special needs. Right now, you need an advocate and lawyer to get proper interventions for children with AUTISM.
No she's not. We are years away from these kids getting the help they need.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Yes, politicizing this now...
It has nothing to do with the issues facing Americans, and Obama is right, there are big issues facing us.

McCain was playing on people there, and I didn't get where he was going with that at all.
Obviously, you do not have a child with autism right now or don't know anyone with the disorder.

There are so many autistic children in the USA (1 in 150 children) that it would not surprise me that this will come down to one day, one of your children will marry a spouse with a family history of AUTISM and your children will have to bear the costs for treatment if your grandchildren are born with the disorder.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
No she's not. We are years away from these kids getting the help they need.
She will have the influence in government to address the support that the parents will get for their autistic children.

1,718 posts, read 2,425,664 times
Okay, I just can't let this go...

I don't care if her sister has an autistic child. That does not give her any special insight into the daily struggles of raising said child. She gets to hear about it on the phone or at a get together. She might, at best, experience life with the child in short bursts but unless the sister and child are living with her she really doesn't have any idea what life is like for them. Until you live it day in and day out, you just don't.

By that logic a person can know what it's like to care for a baby full time by babysitting.

Quote:
There are so many autistic children in the USA (1 in 150 children) that it would not surprise me that this will come down to one day, one of your children will marry a spouse with a family history of AUTISM and your children will have to bear the costs for treatment if your grandchildren are born with the disorder.
Just to clarify, they're not yet sure if it's a genetic disorder that a child is born with or a host of other possible causes that set it off.

8,754 posts, read 10,171,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
I definitely do NOT believe them on this issue. I have heard Palin say several times she will focus on spevcial needs children. Well, considering she CUT funding to the Alaskan Special Olympics, maybe her focus is not such a good thing. And as for McCain, I went back and listened to that segment again and in MHO, he was confused, it truly sounded as if he was saying Palin's child was Autistic.

There is no force more powerful than a mother fighting for something that affects their child. I do believe Palin will bring a whole new attention to special needs chidlren and adults for that matter. That is how Special Olympics came to be what it is today. Had Eunice Kennedy not had her sister for inspiration, she might not have gotten involved.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
Okay, I just can't let this go...

I don't care if her sister has an autistic child. That does not give her any special insight into the daily struggles of raising said child. She gets to hear about it on the phone or at a get together. She might, at best, experience life with the child in short bursts but unless the sister and child are living with her she really doesn't have any idea what life is like for them. Until you live it day in and day out, you just don't.

By that logic a person can know what it's like to care for a baby full time by babysitting.

Just to clarify, they're not yet sure if it's a genetic disorder that a child is born with or a host of other possible causes that set it off.
Palin doesn't have to have a child with autism to see what it is like. Palin can see it from the pained eyes of her sister. She can see the children when she visits them in treatment centers. She has a child with down's syndrome so she knows what it is like to care for a child with a disorder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pEnKSVkr-g

Old 10-16-2008, 12:09 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
Palin doesn't have to have a child with autism to see what it is like. Palin can see it from the pained eyes of her sister. She can see the children when she visits them in treatment centers. She has a child with down's syndrome so she knows what it is like to care for a child with a disorder.

YouTube - AUTISM EPIDEMIC
I'm sorry but I don't buy that. I can visit all the treatment centers I want but I don't know what the parents are going through, or the children, until I'm in their shoes. Having empathy and even peripheral knowledge is one thing. Yet it does not give you any real understanding what the struggles are like.

Not even as a sister. My sister lost a child. I watched her go through it, I was there for her as much as I could be but I would not ever presume to say I know what it was like. Watching is not the same as living.

And however unsympathetic this will sound, even though I don't mean it that way, Palin has yet to really experience what life is going to be like with her own son. The baby is 5 months. She's not yet had to struggle with school issues, friend issues, learning issues, babysitting issues, etc - and no, having faced said issues with other children does not qualify you to know when it comes to a special needs child. The very idea that she knows is...insulting to families who have lived through all the years of watching their children grow up with Downs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections