Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:22 AM

260 posts, read 573,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
There is no force more powerful than a mother fighting for something that affects their child. I do believe Palin will bring a whole new attention to special needs chidlren and adults for that matter. That is how Special Olympics came to be what it is today. Had Eunice Kennedy not had her sister for inspiration, she might not have gotten involved.
Unless that force is ambition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 06:41 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,357,374 times
McCain harping on Autism because he has NOTHING LEFT in his arsenal of lies agains Senator Obama, and he wants to make believe that he and Ms Palin will help children with dissablilites. How's he gonna do this while continuing the premptive war in Iraq, continuing the war in Afghanistan, and dealing with the massive financial crisis, lack of regulation and greed of the wealthy and powerful that has drained this nation of any chance for the average working family to live in financial security?

Old 10-16-2008, 06:51 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,956,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
He wants to help special needs children while freezing all spending, great way to help special needs families.
Yes, I thought when Obama pointed out that you can't fund programs for autistic children when you have a spending freeze was one of Obama's best comments.

McCain had been parading that spending freeze idea quite a bit earlier in the evening. Then, about 30 minutes later, and with one sentence, Obama popped the bubble. In fact when he made that remark you could almost see it knock McCain out of his chair. I wish it would get more media play.

It's always fun to watch politicians get caught when they try to play both sides of the fence.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:09 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,956,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
McCain harping on Autism because he has NOTHING LEFT in his arsenal
I totally agree, and I don't think it helped his campaign.

OTOH, since the election now seems to be decided, I'm glad to see autism, down syndrome, etc. get national attention... even if it was being used as a last ditch campaign issue.

The debate will soon be forgotten, but the good that I see coming from this is we've identified an excellent niche for Sarah Palin. She could be a strong leader for special needs kids under Obama, in fact once she doesn't need to worry about VP duties she can devote all her energy and time to becoming an incredible leader for this issue.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:11 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,675,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I. They usually have to fight for whatever help there children get. Sometimes if it is the lighter form of Autism you fight with the doctors to eveb test your child. Downs children have more of a medical issues. I was just confused about why he kept saying Autism because it sounded like he didn't know what Palin's child had.
McCain is the one confused. Trig Palin has Down syndrome not autism.
I'm sure if Sara Palin was watching, she cringed a little at that and when he called Obama "senator Goverment". OMG..........I'm watching by myself last night. When he said that I howled.

McCain is too old and not healthy looking at all. I hate to say it but his is sooooooooooooo pale. Maybe that is why he picked palin
He makes too many mistakes and even when he says something he is proud of he flashes that idiotic smile then pounds his fist on the desk as if to say "yay".

You know, he is a good man. No doubt about it. So is Obama. They are both of good character but which one can lead this nation.
And if God forbid something were to happen to either one while in office, their veep would take over the job.
Normally we dont' think about this when voting but looking at McCain, you have to wonder.
Can you be comfortable with Sara Palin as president.
I know I shudder to think this is possible.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:36 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,479,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
I'm sorry but I don't buy that. I can visit all the treatment centers I want but I don't know what the parents are going through, or the children, until I'm in their shoes. Having empathy and even peripheral knowledge is one thing. Yet it does not give you any real understanding what the struggles are like.

Not even as a sister. My sister lost a child. I watched her go through it, I was there for her as much as I could be but I would not ever presume to say I know what it was like. Watching is not the same as living.

And however unsympathetic this will sound, even though I don't mean it that way, Palin has yet to really experience what life is going to be like with her own son. The baby is 5 months. She's not yet had to struggle with school issues, friend issues, learning issues, babysitting issues, etc - and no, having faced said issues with other children does not qualify you to know when it comes to a special needs child. The very idea that she knows is...insulting to families who have lived through all the years of watching their children grow up with Downs.
Good Lord, it is not necessary for someone to have the personal experience of caring for a child with autism around the clock in order to support the battle to understand and cure or prevent the disease. That is like saying you cannot be a legitimate cancer researcher unless you yourself have had cancer, otherwise you do not really know what it is like. Who gives a hoot? I am pleased when any candidate focuses attention on the desperate need for more research for autism. Once they make that commitment on camera, you can catch them later on and hold their feet to the fire if they start to backpedal. I am in favor of any help for autistic children and their families, irrespective of who it comes from.

Last edited by andreabeth; 10-16-2008 at 11:45 AM..

Old 10-16-2008, 10:38 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,378,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I think he's tied into some promotion regarding a rerelease of Rain Man later this summer...not sure though.
And possibly playing a supporting role?

Old 10-16-2008, 11:38 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Didn't I read here on CD that Sarah cut funding for Special Olympics in Alaska? SO is a great program for "differently abled" kids. I know when times get tough priorities have to be made, but it'd be nice if kids' services, especially handicapped kids' services, weren't always the first ones on the chopping block.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:44 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,479,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
McCain harping on Autism because he has NOTHING LEFT in his arsenal of lies agains Senator Obama, and he wants to make believe that he and Ms Palin will help children with dissablilites. How's he gonna do this while continuing the premptive war in Iraq, continuing the war in Afghanistan, and dealing with the massive financial crisis, lack of regulation and greed of the wealthy and powerful that has drained this nation of any chance for the average working family to live in financial security?
Exactly, and for McCain to think the American people are stupid enough to believe he will support this effort......please, spare me.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:54 AM

56 posts, read 180,914 times
I am a Obama supporter but I am trying to be fair to both candidates. I read that Palin's sister has a son with autism. Maybe that is what he meant when he said she knew more about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections