Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:35 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times

Advertisements

My wife and i just couldn't believe how John McCain said Palin had experience in Autism when her child is a Down's Syndrome child. Does he not even understand his Own VP's situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 09:36 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,482 times
Quote:
Yes she does. Her sister's child is autistic.
Like I said, she has NO CLUE what WE go through. How much time has she spent fighting with school districts and insurance companies, doctors, etc.? Is her sister going to hold a cabinet position to address this issue?

Old 10-15-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yes she does. Her sister's child is autistic.
Her SISTERS child? Sure it isn't her uncles, aunts , cousins girlfriend's child? John McCain was talking about Palins child if not he would have mentioned the sister angle.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:37 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
Like I said, she has NO CLUE what WE go through. How much time has she spent fighting with school districts and insurance companies, doctors, etc.? Is her sister going to hold a cabinet position to address this issue?
I would imagine she knows what ever her sister has been though to some extent. If I had a special needs child, I would just be thankful someone who might have the power is taking such an interest for the betterment of my child's welfare in the future.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:39 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Her SISTERS child? Sure it isn't her uncles, aunts , cousins girlfriend's child? John McCain was talking about Palins child if not he would have mentioned the sister angle.
Yes. Her sister's child is autistic. Do you have a problem with that now? He wasn't talking about Palin's child. He was saying that Palin knew about autism. He never said her child was autistic.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:40 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
My wife and i just couldn't believe how John McCain said Palin had experience in Autism when her child is a Down's Syndrome child. Does he not even understand his Own VP's situation?
I must admit I didn't pick up on that. I just knew there were a lot of people out there with Autistic kids, and that the cause is still a mystery. But you are absolutely correct, if my earlier estimation that McCain thought he would pick up these families by mentioning Palin and her child, it's clearly a swing and miss for McCain!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:40 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,482 times
Quote:
I would imagine she knows what ever her sister has been though to some extent. If I had a special needs child, I would just be thankful someone who might have the power is taking such an interest for the betterment of my child's welfare in the future.
I don't believe that she would do anything to address this issue. It's a nice talking point but I don't believe her or him on this issue at all.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:41 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Any of us who know people who have a child with autism know that even those parents didn't automatically understand and have more knowlege about autism the moment they have the baby. Heck, they don't even KNOW their child has autism then. But somehow we are to believe that the fact that Sara gave birth to a Down's Syndrome baby 5 months ago infused her with instance knowledge and understanding of all special needs children....especially those with autism????? Is that why she cut the budget for Alaska's Special Olympics program in half...from the depth of her understanding?

Old 10-15-2008, 09:41 PM

Palins Child is still a Baby. Her experience with a special needs child is limited. A baby is a bay is a baby, even with Down's syndrome. Wait until the child gets older and then Palin will understand the real problems and care needed bringing up a special needs child. By then the child will be looked after by a nurse or helper.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:42 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
By the way, none of the news networks that I've seen has picked up on that either. Someone should send them an email!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections