Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:47 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,716,789 times

Advertisements

Have any of you lost friendships and/or family over the 2008 Presidential election?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 10:06 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,365 times
Not that I've lost my mom, but at her 80th birthday celebration last month, it turns out that all my siblings and in-laws (to my surprise since half of them are registered republicans) are voting for Obama. The only person over 18 there who is voting for McCain is my mom. She felt VERY outnumbered. Since it was her birthday, we didn't dwell on the topic for long and we have a tacit agreement to disagree.

On the friends side of things, an aquaintance and coworker of mine sent a group email to a number of people's home email addresses. This email used offensive language to describe Obama, including the N word. I was astounded that she would send the email at all, and especially to people whose political persuasions were unknown to her, and most of all, to our boss. I have no idea if there have been any repurcussions at work since we work on different days. I requested that I be removed from her group email list.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:13 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
Not that I've lost my mom, but at her 80th birthday celebration last month, it turns out that all my siblings and in-laws (to my surprise since half of them are registered republicans) are voting for Obama. The only person over 18 there who is voting for McCain is my mom. She felt VERY outnumbered. Since it was her birthday, we didn't dwell on the topic for long and we have a tacit agreement to disagree.

On the friends side of things, an aquaintance and coworker of mine sent a group email to a number of people's home email addresses. This email used offensive language to describe Obama, including the N word. I was astounded that she would send the email at all, and especially to people whose political persuasions were unknown to her, and most of all, to our boss. I have no idea if there have been any repurcussions at work since we work on different days. I requested that I be removed from her group email list.
Boy! I can identify with THAT....just yesterday I was shocked to hear the "n" word come out of the mouth of a guy I thought was nice!
It was in reference to Obama.
I knew he and his wife were Republicans and could handle that easily because I thought they were so nice but now that I know they're racist, NOT the christians they think they are, I have a hard time even talking to them....

These two know absolutely NOTHING about politics....and that's why they are Republicans.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:15 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,738,199 times
Quite a while ago I got one of those kinds of emails. I wrote to the sender, who is a good friend of mine, to please not send me anymore of those as I found them offensive. She understood and agreed.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:16 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,932,442 times
I don't associate with anybody who is willing to vote for McCain.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:18 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,949 times
I don't talk politics....it's a sad moment when you don't associate with anybody who doesn't want to vote the way you do Awesome. You'll be a very lonely person one day!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:19 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,476,369 times
Obama is not worth losing friends over.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:21 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,876,449 times
I'm smart emough not to discuss politics with anyone who doesn't support my ideas. It's a no-win situation. No one has ever won a political debate, nor changed anyone's mind, so why have an unpleasant situation with a friend, family or coworker...
[mod cut]

Last edited by katzenfreund; 10-16-2008 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: rude!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:21 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
I'll glady lose a friend who's racist....

Old 10-16-2008, 10:22 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,895 times
I do not voluntarily associate with those who will vote for McCain, but, in fact, a great many of relatives are ultra-conservative, and I do my best to avoid confrontation with them on these issues. It is enough that they know that I am on "the other side of the aisle", and I have also requested that some of them cease sending me conservative hate messages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections