Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:50 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times

Advertisements

Nope. My brother is voting for Obama and I had a discussion with him Saturday. He said he thinks SS shouldn't be privatized and that most Americans have NO business controlling their own SS money. What? He trusts the GOVERNMENT with people's money more than he trusts the people themselves? No no no no no no no. Anyway, SS doesn't affect him at all because he will get a railroad pension when he retires and they pay into their own fund and are exempt from paying social security. We discussed politics for about 10 minutes, agreed that we disagreed, and moved on. I like my little brother too much (besides loving him, I genuinely LIKE him) to have a fight over politics. And as he and I discussed, my dad was listening and nodding in agreement to everything I said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 10:52 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times
There are a couple of people that I love dearly but with whom I have made and agreement that we won't discuss politics anymore until after the election. When the winner is announced we have decided to get together and pray for whomever is elected.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:52 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,954,632 times
Years ago I belonged to a women's bible study, and even though I moved away and also grew away from their POV, we stayed in touch. I often got e-mails asking me to pray for family members who had cancer, personal requests like that.

About a week after Palin got the VP nod, they began ramping up an e-mail "prayer chain" to get as many people as possible praying for Sarah Palin. I told them I had never, ever asked God to favor one political candidate over another and I found the whole idea disturbing. I was unceremoniously dumped from the group--good riddance, IMO.

I guess they're probably praying for me now, sorta like people try to "pray away gay."

Those are the only friends I've lost--but I don't talk politics that much in the real world. That's why I come here--to get it out of my system!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:53 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,853,502 times
you sound like a bundle of joy. aren't you the one claiming to be diverse and cultured?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
I don't associate with anybody who is willing to vote for McCain.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:58 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Doesn't that make you a racist?
I was just joking. My parents were going to vote McSame, but changed their vote to Obama.

I don't talk politics at work or when I go visit my family on the weekends.

I did however quit a job because of politics. I was working at a place where it was right winged Rush Limbaugh listening freaks spewing right winged hate all day everyday. The place had no work so it was just like being in Rush Limbaugh's radio studio all day long. I couldn't take it any longer and took a new job.

The place I work now is a lot better. There are republicans but people keep their mouth shut.

I only argue with people on-line that I don't know. That way I don't get beat up since I am a liberal, bleading heart, wussie.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I don't talk politics that much in the real world. That's why I come here--to get it out of my system!
heh
I can relate to that.
I am fairly liberal, and so are most of my relatives. We *mostly* get along.
I live in a Republican stronghold (however, in recent weeks, scattered Obama support has appeared.) I am fairly new here, and the last thing I want to do is start an ideological skirmish. My husband is even more circumspect than I am about that kind of stuff.
I do have one brother who was wavering between McCain and Obama, but when Palin arrived, that was it, he decided on Obama.
At work, there is a young guy, a strong Obama supporter, with whom I discreetly discuss the latest news, but there isn't much time for chitchat, and we feel a bit awkward because we are pretty sure our boss is Republican.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:04 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,853 times
tell your boss to get ready to pay more taxes than you!

Old 10-16-2008, 11:12 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Doesn't that make you a racist?
lol. You need to get a dictionary and look up the word "racist."

Old 10-16-2008, 11:16 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,628,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
you sound like a bundle of joy. aren't you the one claiming to be diverse and cultured?

Yeah---another tollerant liberal

Old 10-16-2008, 11:21 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,274,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Of course you don't discuss the issues with those you don't agree with...what if you LEARNED something!

YES, many people LEARN through discussion....that's what communication is for, what debates are for....

My friends, that I mentioned in the previous post, NEVER discuss, or read about, or learn anything about politics...and hence are racist Republicans. THEY are the idiots.
To assume all Republicans are racist simply because they do not vote for Obama, makes you the idiot. Do not lump all Republicans in that category. It would be like me assuming all Democrats are on welfare!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections