Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 03:24 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

I can see that point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 03:24 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
No politics hasn't hampered my relationships, even after the story told below.

Because I go to church, nearly everyone is Republican, (except one Democrat from MA.) Anyway, politics came up at a potluck two weeks ago and it got pretty passionate. When I mentioned voting third party or writing in, one guy actually told me that doing that is a vote for abortion because that would take away votes from the Republicans (The leading pro-life party) When I said that I was tired of ignoring other moral issues just to vote pro-life (warfare etc...) someone else told me "yeah, we don't like the Republicans either, but they're pro-life. We have to vote for them or else"

I'll never discuss politics in church again.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:40 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You just don't want to hear anything about it. Is that your tolerant stance?
Of course it is. Tolerance doesn't mean embrace. It means live and let live.

Quote:
You can have Marxist/Communist organizations in school but can't talk about god in any form. Not teach about god....just talk about him. That's silly in a country where 85% of the people believe in a higher power but because of the wants of a select few.
What Marxist/Communist organizations are you referring to?

Can't talk about god in any form? You're nuts!

Here in Texas, public schools have all kinds of religious-affiliated groups that are actively sponsored on the campuses.

Where do you come up with this crazy stuff? Do you just run with whatever happens to cross your mind at the moment?

Quote:
Trust me I was in school when they made us stop saying one nation under god I fully understand how destructive it is. How many successful societies restricted religion?
Again, I'm calling your bluff. You have to be able to come up with something besides your own scattered comments like "they made us stop saying one nation under god" to have a shred of credibility.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:24 PM

289 posts, read 362,093 times
Voting is a right and to me reading all the garbage that is being said on both sides is nothing more then stupidity. I really don't care who you all vote for but to use these forums to trash and show all of us your simple mentality is offensive. Vote for whomever you want to vote for but leave the name calling and childishness out of it. Exactly what do you expect to gain out of doing all this BS except some readers that have never met you to conclude that your immature, childish, too much time on your hands forum addicted fools. Can you not just discuss the issues. Its really sad in one sense that I thought we had come so far on sexism, race and age. I come to realize that your political races are way too long and only fuels the fire with some people. Here in Canada a Federal Election was called for 2 months ago. We went to the polls Tuesday and its over. Yours drag on forever. I realize that you also had a long primary but why do both in the same year. Why not nominate the Party leader a year before the General Election. I can understand why so many of you get sick of it and don't bother to vote. We get a year or so to know our party leaders before any of the campaigning starts. Strong Opinions are already there before the Election starts. Its easy to pick the winner in ours even though we don't always vote for them. Canada has had a Conservative Gov't for years. It doesn't always work.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:34 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Yes, when Hillary was running. I sent a very funny joke to many of my friends about some guy telling Chelsea Clinton what he was afraid of, three things....Osama, Obama, and YoMama. The photo of Hill was hysterical, caught in one of her rantings. Anyway, this one friend for over 30 years wrote back and asked why I didn't like Hillary. Well, even if I did like Hillary, the joke was very funny, and I would have sent it anyway. I gave her a few reasons, we debated back and forth for a while and then, lo and behold, no more emails. Too bad, so sad, and I'm glad Hill isn't running. With friends like that, I'll stick to loving my dogs.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:43 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
My oldest brother has turned out to be a closet racist. I was shocked. Horrified actually. It has definitely impacted on our relationship. Because he is terminally ill, I have not cut off contact but our conversations now are very careful and much shorter.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:48 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
I don't talk politics....it's a sad moment when you don't associate with anybody who doesn't want to vote the way you do Awesome. You'll be a very lonely person one day!
Yep, it is silly not to retain relationships with those who don't share your voting sentiments.

This election has sparked some great discussions in my family and with my friends. Many disagreements, and some rather loud discussions, but it all ends just fine and we often get to really think through our own (and other person's) point of view.

My family and friends are all over the map politically, so we can get interesting discussions going about candidates or specific topics. I actually find it to be quite interesting and a lot of fun.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:06 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
My dad is an "independent" that seems to always lean Republican.. He gets all his information via Michael Savage, Rush etc, never graduated high school, from the middle of Wyoming and is a former Mormon. He still refers to people he knows by either their skin color, sexual orientation, or income- but always claims he's no racist!

I'm a college educated liberal that has traveled a lot and lived outside of the US for a time. It's very difficult listening to him since he makes 0 sense but I have learned a lot about the "other" side and it scares me that there are so many people like my dad out there that don't place value on education (he refused to help me pay for college but drove around in a Porche to give the appearance that he had money off his factory job). I still love my dad, but I just can't discuss the politics any more with him since he's so full of s***!! He's such a dumb but lovable guy!

Old 10-16-2008, 07:08 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
Most of the people I know, IRL, that are voting for McCain, are intelligent, thoughtful people. We just happen to disagree. The few McCain supporters I know aren't the crazed people that I see on here. If that were the case, it would be much more difficult to have conversations about politics, and in turn, would have a negative affect on my relationships. While at times the conversations may get a little heated, they've never take the inane turns that they quite often do here. In fact, the McCain supporters I know IRL would probably be embarrassed by some of the posts on this forum.
I agree with your post, Paige. I have both Republican and Democrat friends, none of whom act the way some of the CD posters have on this forum. If my friends spoke with the hatred and contempt that I read on here, they definitely wouldn't be people I'd associate with. We do speak of politics, lightly, now and then but don't let the discussions reach boiling points...we just agree to disagree and move on. I have received vicious, hate-filled e-mails about both Obama and McCain which I asked the senders not to send again. Informative/"food for thought" e-mails are one thing, but outright slander, name calling, and bashing is something else.

I have never seen anything divide this country as much as this particular election, though. It's downright scary....

Old 10-16-2008, 07:09 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
No politics hasn't hampered my relationships, even after the story told below.

Because I go to church, nearly everyone is Republican, (except one Democrat from MA.) Anyway, politics came up at a potluck two weeks ago and it got pretty passionate. When I mentioned voting third party or writing in, one guy actually told me that doing that is a vote for abortion because that would take away votes from the Republicans (The leading pro-life party) When I said that I was tired of ignoring other moral issues just to vote pro-life (warfare etc...) someone else told me "yeah, we don't like the Republicans either, but they're pro-life. We have to vote for them or else"

I'll never discuss politics in church again.

Yes, it came up in my Sunday School class 2 weeks ago, too. Being Southern Baptist, I was surprised to hear that about 1/2 of our class is voting for Obama and about 1/2 is voting for McCain. Interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections