Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:22 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,804,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Obama is not worth losing friends over.
No politician is worth losing friends or family over. And it's really sad that it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 10:25 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I'm smart emough not to discuss politics with anyone who doesn't support my ideas. It's a no-win situation. No one has ever won a political debate, nor changed anyone's mind, so why have an unpleasant situation with a friend, family or coworker...
Awesomo2k isn't my friend, so I can readily admit he is an idiot...!
Of course you don't discuss the issues with those you don't agree with...what if you LEARNED something!

YES, many people LEARN through discussion....that's what communication is for, what debates are for....

My friends, that I mentioned in the previous post, NEVER discuss, or read about, or learn anything about politics...and hence are racist Republicans. THEY are the idiots.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:26 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
No, I haven't lost any friends or had any problems. While most people I know, including the people I work with, don't agree with me, they actually come to me quite often to ask questions about certain issues, and to share things they've heard. They know that I approach this election and other political or religious or just plain sensitive issues with the attitude that whatever their choice, and whatever their reasons, that I respect where they are coming from, and that their choices are valid and deserve as much respect as the choices I make. I can try to give them the facts, and try to show them other ways to look at specific issues, but I know that my viewpoint is colored by my experiences, my biases, and that they see things differently.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:30 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,291,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Have any of you lost friendships and/or family over the 2008 Presidential election?
No, but I have been bonding with my neighbors (all democrats, by the way) in ways I haven't in the past. We have even been switching off on hosting debate porch parties where we pull the TV out and toast to "my friends", "maverick" and "Alaska" depending on which debate we are watching.

On November 4th we will be out until the last state is declared and the whole ordeal is over. This election has definitely brought us closer together.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:33 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,440,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
On November 4th we will be out until the last state is declared and the whole ordeal is over. This election has definitely brought us closer together.
Hopefully we won't have a repeat of the 2000 election, or you might be out for a looooooong time
Glad it is bringing you and your neighbors closer together!

forum rules, please read them

15,154 posts, read 11,628,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
I don't associate with anybody who is willing to vote for McCain.

Doesn't that make you a racist?

1,544 posts, read 2,076,439 times
The United States of American will be hiring the BIGGEST PIMP ever.

1) Obama will force all the people to work and the taxes of the most-hardworking people and businesses are all given to him.

2) He then decides what to do with all that money and spreads it around.

3) He will make each American dependent on him - socialized education, healthcare, banking, retirement, etc.

4) Each American will be afraid to remove him from office because they are afraid that they will lose all these services from him. This is the making of a dictatorship. Each American will lose their freedom and will think that they need government in order to survive in their daily lives.

5) Obama knows how to win an election and Obama has ties. He will be in office for 8 years and he will make sure that the person who wins the Presidency after his 8 years is tied closely to him so he can continue to tap into the funds of the American people.

6) Obama will take advantage of socialized education in the USA and will provide the worst education like in Chicago so that no one is smarter than him. No one will have the smarts and intellect to overthrow him.

Basically, the Americans today are so dumb and stupid as the result of the SOCIALIZED EDUCATION that is provided by the government that they don't even realize that they are hiring a PIMP to run their lives.

stupid people = stupid government

stupidity = broken relationships

Old 10-16-2008, 10:43 AM

349 posts, read 887,994 times
Unhappy Please re-post in a new thread, ShoppingCartLaw

That is not a reply to OP, is it? Your post of insanity belongs on a blog at National Review, where others are working on stories that Obama is an alien from an undiscovered planet. You're missing out...

My reply to the question is...not yet. I have a good friend who said that sending her links to www.politifact.com and www.snopes.com and www.factcheck.org were "making her sick" but she "loves me to pieces".

I didn't ever even tell her who I would be voting for...

Truth hurts?

I'm not sure we will still be friends, but it won't be my doing; I can respectfully disagree and am always up for a good debate!

She had been listening to alot of Rush Limbaugh, so I guess that explains some of the rationale. I'll be sad to lose her, if it is her choice.

* * * Obama/Biden '08 * * *

Old 10-16-2008, 10:48 AM

939 posts, read 2,381,122 times
Most of the people I know, IRL, that are voting for McCain, are intelligent, thoughtful people. We just happen to disagree. The few McCain supporters I know aren't the crazed people that I see on here. If that were the case, it would be much more difficult to have conversations about politics, and in turn, would have a negative affect on my relationships. While at times the conversations may get a little heated, they've never take the inane turns that they quite often do here. In fact, the McCain supporters I know IRL would probably be embarrassed by some of the posts on this forum.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:50 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Don't talk politics unless someone ask then i just point them to sites that offer both sides of the coin so they can do their own research if they decided for Obama I wouldn't try and convince them otherwise. Usually once people make up their mind (facts or not) the more you try and sway them the more they "cling to their politics and psychobabble"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections