Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:20 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times

Advertisements

The only think anyone has said in my church about the election is when the pastor said last week that he'd be glad when it was over because he was so tired of the election "commercials" and that we shouldn't worry, whoever we were voting for, because, in the end, God is in control. And that was it. No more was ever said before or since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 07:35 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,766,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
The only think anyone has said in my church about the election is when the pastor said last week that he'd be glad when it was over because he was so tired of the election "commercials" and that we shouldn't worry, whoever we were voting for, because, in the end, God is in control. And that was it. No more was ever said before or since.
That was exactly what my pastor said in church and how we ended our discussion in Sunday School. Only God sees the "big picture" and knows what is best for us. We need to be informed, pray on it, cast our vote, then leave it up to Him.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
There are a lot of intolerant liberals in Boulder, Colorado and many other colleg towns. It's not just the students, it's the professors, too. There is a joke that in Boulder "diverstiy" means people of different races who all think alike. There's not much room for differences of opinion. Scientists in particular are very contemptuous of Christians. There was an article in a science magazine, Scientific American, I think, about how to argue against creationism which was extremely contemptuous of people who believe in it. So yeah, it works both ways. PS: I am, most of the time, a liberal, and I am a Christian who is married to an atheist. So maybe we can all get along.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:41 PM

873 posts, read 1,589,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Have any of you lost friendships and/or family over the 2008 Presidential election?
Wow, here I am voting Democrat this year and living in one of the most beat red states around. I swear they don't think. Several have gotten upset with me when I point out the errors in their assumptions. So far, I haven't lost any friends, but I sure have had a few upset with me.

Last edited by eastidahomom; 10-16-2008 at 08:32 PM..

Old 10-16-2008, 08:18 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There are a lot of intolerant liberals in Boulder, Colorado and many other colleg towns. It's not just the students, it's the professors, too. There is a joke that in Boulder "diverstiy" means people of different races who all think alike. There's not much room for differences of opinion. Scientists in particular are very contemptuous of Christians. There was an article in a science magazine, Scientific American, I think, about how to argue against creationism which was extremely contemptuous of people who believe in it. So yeah, it works both ways. PS: I am, most of the time, a liberal, and I am a Christian who is married to an atheist. So maybe we can all get along.

Well, I am an Evangelical Christian AND a social liberal too. I am pro life but other than that I am "liberal." We do exist, don't we?

Old 10-16-2008, 08:30 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,883 times
Default Relationships

I have been an Obama support from very early on and my fiance is a Clinton supporter so we had some good natured arguments during the primary season. Since Obama got the nod, she has come to her senses and has become an Obama supporter (maybe an even bigger one than me). In addition, my parents are leaning towards Obama (they are lifelong independents that usually lean Republican) and most of my friends too. That said, it hasn't affected my relationship with anyone. There is a guy a work with that brought up Sarah Palin quite a bit and bragged about a Republican victory. Funny how he hasn't brought that up lately.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:43 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Have any of you lost friendships and/or family over the 2008 Presidential election?
there are a few people in my family that hate Obama. They don't like white Democrats. They hate black Democrats. Sad but true. That is what happens in white trash land. But I really have not had relationships with my brother and uncle for many years. My sister is a practicing Catholic who had an abortion when she was 22 because of a deformed fetus. She is opposed to any and all abortions and she will not vote for Obama because of that issue. But she doesn't like McCain on staying in Iraq either so she will also not vote for him. She knows I am a militant Democrat- as our dad was- and she respects that and we joke with each other about it. But we still love each other and remain close

Old 10-16-2008, 09:17 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,056,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yes, it is true. Has been for years. I find it interesting that any liberal would have the gall to say they are tolerant of Christian values when they are so obviously INTOLERANT. And I don't mean forced on you, you are just intolerant of anything Christian.

I hope you realize that there are millions of liberal Christians...

Old 10-16-2008, 11:36 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

You might want to think about "intolerance" as "resentment of the intellectually lazy." You should remember that education takes work, and for those who haven't performed that work to critique HUNDREDS OF YEARS of scientific knowledge and discoveries would unsurprisingly produce some hostility in response. You don't gain education about any subject matter out of a pamphlet.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:42 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
You might want to think about "intolerance" as "resentment of the intellectually lazy." You should remember that education takes work, and for those who haven't performed that work to critique HUNDREDS OF YEARS of scientific knowledge and discoveries would unsurprisingly produce some hostility in response. You don't gain education about any subject matter out of a pamphlet.

Weak.

Albert Einstein: Quotes on God, Religion, Theology
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections