Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 09:16 PM

543 posts, read 1,456,357 times

Advertisements

And this guy doesn't think he's arrogant (as most liberals are). About those rep points, don't get cocky, there are just a lot of dumb liberals in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 09:17 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,704,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Also, don't forget "Operation Chaos" that Rush Limbaugh started back during the primaries. I think the polls reflect a lot of held over people from that little game that are saying they are voting Obama just to skew the polls and make the media look silly when the election is over.
Are you kidding?? Surely, you must be kidding. You honestly think Rush Limbaugh has that much pull, and that his listeners are skewing the polls? buwahahahahaha...thanks for the laugh.

Quote:
As much as you'd like to believe that this forum is representative of the entire American population, I hate to tell you that you are sadly mistaken. I have driven my entire neighborhood every week now for 3 week, and out of 564 homes, the McCain signs outnumber the Obama signs 13 to 1. We are talking about middle class families....UPS Drivers, military personnel, with 1400-2000 sq. ft. homes. I heard another guy somewhere in TX give similar statistics where he lives. I'm sure it's the reverse in some locations, but I'm also sure that this forum is not an accurate representation of the typical thinking of middle America.
As much as you'd like to believe that the frequency of front yard signs is indicative of who has the most support and who will win an election, I hate to tell you that you are sadly mistaken. There are more people who do not post signs or wear their party affiliations and candidate choices on their sleeves than people who do. The fact that you're seeing more McCain signs, quite honestly, doesn't mean ****. I'm an avid Obama supporter, but if you take a look around my home, car, office, etc, you would not find one sign, pin, sticker, or anything else. There are plenty out there like me. More of us than people who do have these items of declaration.

And you think I need to grow up? This is the first election you've participated in, isn't it?

Old 10-18-2008, 09:22 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,218,924 times
Too early to rep you again. I sure wish I could negative-rep Shaken. That was quite the example of fear-based defensiveness, wasn't it? I wonder what it's like to live life like that.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Too early to rep you again.
Awe...thanks, man.

Quote:
I sure wish I could negative-rep Shaken.
Nah, that would give too much credence to his ignorant rantings. People like him don't get under our skin, so why would we let him think he does?

Quote:
That was quite the example of fear-based defensiveness, wasn't it? I wonder what it's like to live life like that.
It certainly was. His fear was so obvious, it's almost laughable that he claimed I was the fearful one. What he H did I do to make him think I was fearful for Obama? I asked a legitimate question, in a non-defensive, non-aggressive, non-arrogant, unassuming way. I truly wanted to know what others thought about the possibility of McCain supporters switching their vote at the last minute, due to their hearts or minds telling them Obama is the right choice for them and their families. I'm fearful of nothing. Whatever happens in this election, my life will go on.

My guess is that my question scared him to his core, and he doesn't want anyone answering my question for fear that other people will suggest that many McCain supporters will ultimately vote for Obama.

I guess we'll just hafta wait till November 4th to find out.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:27 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,249,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Awe...thanks, man.

Nah, that would give too much credence to his ignorant rantings. People like him don't get under our skin, so why would we let him think he does?

It certainly was. His fear was so obvious, it's almost laughable that he claimed I was the fearful one. What he H did I do to make him think I was fearful for Obama? I asked a legitimate question, in a non-defensive, non-aggressive, non-arrogant, unassuming way. I truly wanted to know what others thought about the possibility of McCain supporters switching their vote at the last minute, due to their hearts or minds telling them Obama is the right choice for them and their families. I'm fearful of nothing. Whatever happens in this election, my life will go on.

My guess is that my question scared him to his core, and he doesn't want anyone answering my question for fear that other people will suggest that many McCain supporters will ultimately vote for Obama.

I guess we'll just hafta wait till November 4th to find out.
The two of you make a really great couple!! As far as fearful, nope, sorry. My life will go on no matter who wins. As for your thinly veiled attempt to turn things back around on me, the deal is, if you hadn't worded your original question the way you did, and rather asked it in the form of a 2 way street (I know, that's foreign thinking to a liberal, sorry), where if people thought Obama supporters would secretly vote for McCain, and vice versa, than you might get away with suggesting that you asked a simple unpartisan "legitimate" question. Nice try but the question was too transparent. If I don't get under your skin, you wouldn't make such an effort to answer me, and have your little internet gang buddy attack me as well.

But actually you were right about one thing, I am scared of an Obama win. Because you see, I'm one of those mean ol' "over $250k" guys like Joe the Plumber wants to be, only I own 2 companies already. So the thing I'm scared about is I don't know exactly how many of my employees I will have to lay off when my taxes increase, thereby affecting their lives greatly. I'll be fine, I have zero debt, including mortgage, vehicles, etc. (sorry though, I only own one home and some land at the beach, so I'm not quite as "evil" as John McCain), so I'm not worried about myself. It's the dedicated guys that work for me and there families that I worry about. But pardon me, I'm getting into a logical debate about an issue, and I don't want to throw you off your agenda....you and your little buddy feel free to carry on as you were.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:28 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,249,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
And this guy doesn't think he's arrogant (as most liberals are). About those rep points, don't get cocky, there are just a lot of dumb liberals in the world.
I can see it now....his wife comes home after work.."Honey, guess what....I got 16 new Reps today, Yippeeeee!!!!"

Old 10-18-2008, 10:32 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,014,557 times
Heck no. There are probably many people who only say they're supporting Obama so they don't get called a "racist" or verbally assaulted by the likes of y'all.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:38 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Do you think that there are many people who publicly claim to adamantly support McCain, but then, when they're alone in the voting booth (or at their kitchen table with their mail-in ballot), will actually vote for Obama because they know deep down that he is the best choice for themselves and our country?

I'm not necessarily talking about the Bradley effect or the reverse-Bradley effect. I'm not referring to racists or closet racists or non-racists or anything like that.

I'm referring more to these voters ultimately voting for Obama (even though they currently claim to be adamant McCain supporters) because once they're in that voting booth, they'll take the issues into consideration - the economy, healthcare, the war, taxes, education, etc - along with the temperaments and convictions of the candidates, along with the health and well-being of their families and fellow countrymen, for one final time, and they'll (possibly even begrudgingly) cast their vote for Obama, because deep down they know he is a far better choice than McCain.

What do you think?
I think we'll see a lot of this.

That's what I think.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
As for your thinly veiled attempt to turn things back around on me, the deal is, if you hadn't worded your original question the way you did, and rather asked it in the form of a 2 way street (I know, that's foreign thinking to a liberal, sorry), where if people thought Obama supporters would secretly vote for McCain, and vice versa, than you might get away with suggesting that you asked a simple unpartisan "legitimate" question.
Well I guess I would've worded it "in the form of a two-way street" had I wanted to discuss how many people will switch from Obama to McCain at the last minute. Fact, is, I didn't want to know the answer to that question...I wanted to know the answer to my question, which was, in fact, legitimate. The TOS of this forum do not state that every question needs to worded so that both candidates are represented equally. I'm not interested in knowing the number of Obama supporters that will secretly vote for McCain...I'm interested in knowing how many McCain supporters will secretly vote for Obama. Can you not handle that?

Furthermore, I never claimed that I asked a "simple, unpartisan" question...I claimed that I asked a "legitimate question, in a non-defensive, non-aggressive, non-arrogant, unassuming way," which I most certainly did. Just because I didn't inquire as to both sides of this possible issue, does not mean that my question is illegitimate. I never said that I ONLY think this phenomenon will happen to help Obama. I just wasn't interested in discussing the number of people who will ultimately vote McCain. Is that too difficult for you to understand?

You're attempting to make an issue out of something that is not even an issue. And you're making yourself seem more and more ignorant the more you go on and on about how I didn't ask about people secretly voting for McCain. If you care so much about it, start a new thread addressing it, and quit dumbing down my thread.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I think we'll see a lot of this.

That's what I think.
Hey there, punk. You're always insightful...Care to elaborate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections