Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Candidate Is More Patriotic?
John MCCain 57 51.82%
Barak Obama 53 48.18%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:33 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
...We know McCain only got where he is because of his family...
Eh hem.....McCain could very well have been KIA in Vietnam and his family would have had not one thing to do with that. His dad wasn't sitting next to him in the cockpit holding the stick and dropping the bombs. Ever heard what the casualty rate was back then for fighter/attack missions in comparison to what it is today? It was alarming. The SAMS back then were pretty sophisticated in comparison to the defensive measures they had against them. When he strapped into that cockpit he was on his own. Daddy couldn't help him if he wanted to. Daddy couldn't deflect those SAMS and AAA. He was in harms way and was there at his discretion.

And his family didn't have a thing to do with the fact that even though he was offered an out to be sent home from the POW camp because of who his family was he turned it down in order for those prisoners who had been captured before him to go home in the order they were captured. Yeah that's the policy...but would you turn that offer down? I don't know if I could. If I'm getting my a$$ kicked and tortured I don't know if I could turn the offer of freedom down....but he did. He could very well have died from the further torture after that time. I personally believe his time as a POW shaped him better than anything his family could have done. And the bravery he demonstrated at that time speaks volumes for his character.

Yeah...I have some issues with how he treated his former wife.

Supposedly called his current wife a 'c'. But who hasn't been p.o.'d and said something they regretted?

I have worked in the aerospace and defense industry. So I've taken it on the chin a few times from the guy. He is on the Senate Armed Services Committee. There were times that decisions he made really put my company through the ringer. But it was all because he had issues with excess spending. Questioning the C-130J and 767 tanker deals was right. Dammit it made it hard on us but it was completely right. He was probably lobbied like crazy from my company and Boeing but he didn't waver. He's working for the tax payer first....and to me that proves it.

He's a solid guy and I'd say he's earned his way. Give him a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 08:40 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Barack has a "c" in it. Just sayin...

So does AmeriCa!

Your point would be?

Old 10-31-2008, 08:42 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
Default there are others

Where are the others? I would not say either of these to "for the corporation" politicians are patriotic.. Nader yes

Old 10-31-2008, 08:44 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
it is. because we are living in a police state where doing something that harms no one but yourself is illegal. it's pathetic. I don't do any drugs, but think they should all be decriminalized. look at our prisons for crying out loud.
OK. So you are bent out of shape because you think you should be allowed to do something you want to do, but because it is illegal we are in a police state.

How juvenile.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
Who ever Iran,sudan wants for US president ? I vote for the other guy ! period ! its not about the price we pay today...It's about the price we pay in the future !
Well, I don't remember Omar El-Bashir or Ayatollah Khamenei or President Ahmedinejad endorsing Obama..........I have "heard" that the KKK and the American Nazi Party endorse McCain though...........and I also know that there are racist skinheads out there who don't want Obama because he is black..............

Old 10-31-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Eh hem.....McCain could very well have been KIA in Vietnam and his family would have had not one thing to do with that. His dad wasn't sitting next to him in the cockpit holding the stick and dropping the bombs. Ever heard what the casualty rate was back then for fighter/attack missions in comparison to what it is today? It was alarming. The SAMS back then were pretty sophisticated in comparison to the defensive measures they had against them. When he strapped into that cockpit he was on his own. Daddy couldn't help him if he wanted to. Daddy couldn't deflect those SAMS and AAA. He was in harms way and was there at his discretion.

And his family didn't have a thing to do with the fact that even though he was offered an out to be sent home from the POW camp because of who his family was he turned it down in order for those prisoners who had been captured before him to go home in the order they were captured. Yeah that's the policy...but would you turn that offer down? I don't know if I could. If I'm getting my a$$ kicked and tortured I don't know if I could turn the offer of freedom down....but he did. He could very well have died from the further torture after that time. I personally believe his time as a POW shaped him better than anything his family could have done. And the bravery he demonstrated at that time speaks volumes for his character.

Yeah...I have some issues with how he treated his former wife.

Supposedly called his current wife a 'c'. But who hasn't been p.o.'d and said something they regretted?

I have worked in the aerospace and defense industry. So I've taken it on the chin a few times from the guy. He is on the Senate Armed Services Committee. There were times that decisions he made really put my company through the ringer. But it was all because he had issues with excess spending. Questioning the C-130J and 767 tanker deals was right. Dammit it made it hard on us but it was completely right. He was probably lobbied like crazy from my company and Boeing but he didn't waver. He's working for the tax payer first....and to me that proves it.

He's a solid guy and I'd say he's earned his way. Give him a break.
I agree that McCain is (or at least used to be) a solid guy. If he had been KIA in Vietnam, that would have been a tragedy......but there were those who were drafted and were grunts rather than high-flying officers who did risky maneuvers in the air......they were KIA as well.

I'll tell ya what. I will try to not attack McCain on his background, character, etc. There is so much to attack on politics and issues alone. I just wish he would have done the same when dealing with Obama rather than trying to dehumanize, deAmericanize and make him into this fearsome "other." That is a very dangerous direction for him to have gone.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:53 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
I forgot. it's 1984 in your world.

Quote:
OK. So you are bent out of shape because you think you should be allowed to do something you want to do, but because it is illegal we are in a police state.

How juvenile.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:54 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPTOR760 View Post
John MCCain
Barack Obama
This is like asking the "christianity" question.

How can anyone answer the question without a definition of patriotic?

Old 10-31-2008, 08:54 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
Default Well yeah....

Quote:
...........and I also know that there are racist skinheads out there who don't want Obama because he is black..............
LOL Did you think putting a half African American man on the ballot was going to get by unnoticed by the KKK and skinheads. They wouldn't care who the other guy was. As long as he was a white dude he was going to get their vote.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:04 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,912,421 times
[quote=Sunil's Dad;5938694]Well, I don't remember Omar El-Bashir or Ayatollah Khamenei or President Ahmedinejad endorsing Obama..........I have "heard" that the KKK and the American Nazi Party endorse McCain though...........and I also know that there are racist skinheads out there who don't want Obama because he is black..............[/quote Correction..Ahmendinejad and the others ARE cheering for obama!! What KKK and nazi's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections