Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:51 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,119 times

Advertisements

Much of what you've posted is true. Think of how it must be in the middle east where little children are schooled on how to hate other people, and are given rifles and encouraged to kill others, and how to make and wear bomb vests. If they started teaching their children that this is wrong right now, it would literally take generations to wash away the hatred.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Oh yes, I know what you mean. Like I said in my post, I more than realize that racism is everywhere. I live in North Carolina and I have run into more than a few people whose only reason not to vote Obama is that he is black.

But I don't think anyone can argue the fact that the younger generation (and some of the older generation too) have put a major dent in the overall racist views of this country. Racism is still alive, and not just on the side of white people either. I am 30 years old, and in my life I have seen racism of all kinds exhibited by all the races I have come in contact with.

It is a problem which will most certainly never be taken care of completely. I just think we have made tremendous strides towards equality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 07:57 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Although I am not voting for either candidate, I think the possibility that America may be electing the first non-White president is quite exciting. Regardless of who Obama is or what he believes in, I think this will be a historical mark and it will definitely motivate other Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, women and other "minorities" to run for office in the future. Even countries like Liberia,Argentina,and the Philippines have women as leaders. I think that if Obama gets elected, the historical significance of these elections will be remembered for many years to come and this should be very exciting!!

I agree, as long as all of the above are Republicans. It's really too bad Obama is a raging liberal.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:02 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
I am thrilled to be living in a time when the country has progressed to this point, finally. Honored to be voting in this election. It's very exciting, as segregation wasn't so long ago.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:30 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Do you REALLY think this is all it takes? Hmmm, if that's the case then all we needed to do was elect someone like him back at the start of ww2 and all would have been good right?
What, do you really think this is all he's got? I think he has proven more than once that he is capable of running this country. After the last 6 months I hardly thought it necessary to mention that. The beauty is the combination. The right to prove that skin makes no difference in capability.

I'm 1/2 black, 1/2 white, (to your standards, African/Scottish to mine), and it means a hell of a lot to someone like me. And maybe if it were allowed to do so then, if a black man could even dreamed of running for President instead of cleaning his house it would've been a good idea, yes, I do think you should have elected someone like him at the start of ww2. I think someone like him should've always been allowed to run and make President of the "United" States.

Pround to lead the freedom and start a country that is finally caught up with the meaning of its name!

Last edited by twiggy; 11-04-2008 at 08:45 AM..

Old 11-04-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
What country are you from? FYI: The one drop rule in America makes Obama a Black man. Nice swipe at denigrating Obama's heritage, unfortunately, comments such as yours only serves to confirm the racist ignorance that abounds from within.
One drop rule! OMG! This is 2008, do you live in the past or what. How old are you? We have been mixing it up for a long time now. Black skin isn't an illness and if you get one drop it totally consumes you. There is no difference in mixing African/Scottish, or Scottish/Swedish. You wouldn't say someone was German because he had one drop of German blood would you? That was slave marking talk, that is how prejudice this country was 50 years ago. Ew, they couldn't even handle one drop!
It's only skin color, it's really funny, there is genetic testing for this controversy now. Read a book or something!
No need to fear, just relax and let the black in baby! White is just a color, not a person, same with black now, we are people too, not just a color anymore, its 2008.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:41 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times

Old 11-04-2008, 08:54 AM

TB4000-funny comic, but,

I wonder if that would be different if he were a black republican candidate? lol It was for Palin. Maybe if they would've gotten them a black v.p. they would've seen the black people in this country "not" vote for a black man. lol
They probably would have seen a lot of black people call another black man an idiot. We do that you now, we are allowed to say and have different opinions like white people now, we have minds under that skin color, who knew?
People can't do this anymore, amazing how that opens up ones mind.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:11 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
One drop rule! OMG! This is 2008, do you live in the past or what. How old are you? We have been mixing it up for a long time now. Black skin isn't an illness and if you get one drop it totally consumes you. There is no difference in mixing African/Scottish, or Scottish/Swedish. You wouldn't say someone was German because he had one drop of German blood would you? That was slave marking talk, that is how prejudice this country was 50 years ago. Ew, they couldn't even handle one drop!
It's only skin color, it's really funny, there is genetic testing for this controversy now. Read a book or something!
No need to fear, just relax and let the black in baby! White is just a color, not a person, same with black now, we are people too, not just a color anymore, its 2008.
Twiggy, you make perfect sense, of course, but in America the one-drop idiocy has caused things to be very complicated culturally and politically. Your assertion that we have been mixing forever is true but not groundbreaking, as this has been happening in America for four centuries now. Of course the vast majority of people with African background in the US are bi- or tri-racial. But because of one-drop these people have been all lumped into one category that they have become politically and culturally united to the point where someone like Obama, who as someone who is equally African and European is genetically similar to many or most black Americans, has had to choose to identify as African American because there are no other realistic choices. White America does not see Obama as one of them, because he looks no different than any other "normal black guy."

Old 11-04-2008, 09:15 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
TB4000-funny comic, but,

I wonder if that would be different if he were a black republican candidate? lol It was for Palin. Maybe if they would've gotten them a black v.p. they would've seen the black people in this country "not" vote for a black man. lol
They probably would have seen a lot of black people call another black man an idiot. We do that you now, we are allowed to say and have different opinions like white people now, we have minds under that skin color, who knew?
People can't do this anymore, amazing how that opens up ones mind.
Depends on the candidate. If the Republican candidate were someone such as Colin Powell, who is respected by whites and blacks and is seen as something of a moderate, not as an ideologue, most blacks would strongly consider him, even if he were running against Obama. If it were a rabid conservative in the Clarence Thomas model, he would probably not see much black support. One of the reasons the African American population supports Obama so strongly is because the Republicans have resorted to racial fearmongering. Why would any sane black person want to vote for McCain/Palin after experiencing the hatred they are engendering?

Old 11-04-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Depends on the candidate. If the Republican candidate were someone such as Colin Powell, who is respected by whites and blacks and is seen as something of a moderate, not as an ideologue, most blacks would strongly consider him, even if he were running against Obama. If it were a rabid conservative in the Clarence Thomas model, he would probably not see much black support. One of the reasons the African American population supports Obama so strongly is because the Republicans have resorted to racial fearmongering. Why would any sane black person want to vote for McCain/Palin after experiencing the hatred they are engendering?

Very true, I love Colin Powel, to bad he didn't run. He would've been another perfect candidate for uniting the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections