Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:56 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,198,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
That website is too wordy. And it looks amateurish.
Out of a garage, Microsoft was born.

Then again, out of a jail cell was born the third reich, so we better keep an eye on things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 08:56 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,734,258 times
Quote:
That website is too wordy. And it looks amateurish.
It's just a start.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:58 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,861,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Out of a garage, Microsoft was born.

Then again, out of a jail cell was born the third reich, so we better keep an eye on things.
Haha! True true.

Why rebuild the Republican Party? What's so special about that particular party? Why not start a new one?

Old 11-07-2008, 09:01 PM

218 posts, read 468,747 times
Default let's roll

I with you PaullySC,
Let's start now. I have mix feelings about this election. On one hand I hated to see McCain/Palin Loose.But on the other hand , I realy didn't trust McCain to be strong and fight against the Dems. I think McCain would throw the republicans under the bus before he would the dems. I think he would have given in to the dems demands. So if this is what it takes to start over with a stronger Brand of Repubicans let's start now.
It needs to be started now. Are you ready to start this movement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
The Republican party will rise again to stand for true conservative ideas, don't worry!

Old 11-07-2008, 09:16 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorasbox View Post
I with you PaullySC,
Let's start now. I have mix feelings about this election. On one hand I hated to see McCain/Palin Loose.But on the other hand , I realy didn't trust McCain to be strong and fight against the Dems. I think McCain would throw the republicans under the bus before he would the dems. I think he would have given in to the dems demands. So if this is what it takes to start over with a stronger Brand of Repubicans let's start now.
It needs to be started now. Are you ready to start this movement?
Am I the only one that sees a serious flaw in the movement?

The site gives all this great hype for how to level the playing field be it by GOTV, the internet, youth voters, younger candidates, blah blah blah. But it doesn't not address the problems within the party that is the problem to begin with.

The GOP has begun to eat itself inside out. If you want to take on the Dems then you need to first address the problems within the party including but not limited too your message.

It is not going to do you much good if you say 'yayyyy we're going to polarize our base' without defining Which part of the base you're polarizing. Which message are you picking today? Shall the Evangelicals rule the day? The fiscal conservatives? The moderates?

Before they can go selling their product (the GOP) they need to have an idea what the GOP product is that they are selling. Otherwise its all just jabber that's not going to get you very far because parts of your base remain unhappy while packing their bags and the youngsters coming up look at the party and go no thanks. And that youth vote will have the ruling majority of the vote in 4 years. The GOP as it stands doesn't interest them all that much atm.

Rebuild the party before you try to start selling the party.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Haha! True true.

Why rebuild the Republican Party? What's so special about that particular party? Why not start a new one?
Hey no sweat off my nose, I left the Republican Party years ago. Whether it remains as the GOP and rebuilds or splinters into a party like, "The Conservative Party" or some other manifestation is fine by me.

I see the need for at least one other party but two would even be better.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:18 PM

26,222 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Like a major remodel of a building, step #1 is to gut the building.

For the Republican party, this would mean all of the extreme right wingnut thinkers need to cleaned out.
Exactly, the GOP has to get rid of the evango-fascist wingnuts whose issues are SOCIAL (abortion and gays) and not POLITICAL issues that belong in the public realm to be solved by elected officials. Gay Rights and Abortion (sex ed, birth control, etc) are PERSONAL issues in the lives of ordinary people. NEITHER the government NOR organized religion should stick its nose into our bedrooms or doctor's office (unless they want it blown off).

Since Reagan, the GOP has actively courted the religious right bloc of SOCIAL conservatives for their votes and for their donations. However, they got nothing in return from the GOP. That bloc is now rather split and likely to stay so.

There are people of faith on both sides of the aisle, not just the GOP side. The Federal government needs to deal with true federal issues like Defense, Budgets, Immigration, Health, Education, Foreign Policy, Energy, Transportation, Environment, Economics, etc, and stay out of social issues.

Both sides of the political aisle need to actively shun politicizing religion and religicizing politics. We do not need to end up with a theocracy running this nation, or politicians running the church.

Separation of church and state must be a hallmark not only of any new GOP, but of all political parties. Best way to do this is to stop trying to legislate morality as any one group sees it and stick to true issues in the Federal domain. Put all religions on notice that there will NOT be ANY legislative approach to social issues, it is the courts (Judiciary) that will interpret the Constitution and settle what the law really holds.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
Am I the only one that sees a serious flaw in the movement?

The site gives all this great hype for how to level the playing field be it by GOTV, the internet, youth voters, younger candidates, blah blah blah. But it doesn't not address the problems within the party that is the problem to begin with.

The GOP has begun to eat itself inside out. If you want to take on the Dems then you need to first address the problems within the party including but not limited too your message.
I would go one step further and closer to Plato's critique of Democracy and suggest we need to look at the foundations of our government at large as well. Right now we have spent the past several years at least living under an imperial Presidency that includes Clinton as well. Party politics are just one more of the lesser manifestations of a fractured greater system of political pageantry. Or so I heard down at the feed store anyway.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:25 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Like a major remodel of a building, step #1 is to gut the building.

For the Republican party, this would mean all of the extreme right wingnut thinkers need to cleaned out.
The problem is not the right wing, as you call it, but the moderate ones who compromise on every issue that comes along in Congress. For example, McCain and a few other Republicans voting for the recent bail-out. I am not a Republican, so perhaps my words don't count, but in my view the Republican party needs a heavy duty enema to get rid of the old entrenched Republicans, while bringing in new blood. Also, the same is needed for the old Democrats in Congress (Murtha, Schumer, Biden) and the rest of the old farts. This will be good for the whole nation, Republicans and Democrats alike.

Term limits should do it.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:27 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
It is definitly an intersting piece and I think that the writer is correct in that the GOP needs to focus more on creating a new generation of leaders and attracting young voters. I do not think it will be that easy though. During this election I have heard GOPers describe young voters as "Brainwashed", "Stupid", "Ignorant", "Lazy", "Drunkereds", "Blindly idealistic", "Unpatriotic" and "Unworthy of the Right to Vote." I would say Republicans have a long way to go to get back to when they were winning young voters as they did in the Reagan years. It is definitly possible for the GOP to have a strong under 40 movement, but I think the GOP needs to change its rhetoric about young voters and focus more on what they will bring to the table for the 20s and 30s somethings to get a real piece of the vote there.
Maybe in a Jurassic Park movie. The GOP is a dinosauer, just as archaic as fossil fuel is. The oil should stay in the ground along with the GOP. They attempted to destroy the country and is time for them to go. Sayonara, Arevederci, Bon Voyage, Go to Hell!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections