Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 04:30 AM

33 posts, read 126,181 times

Advertisements

The media is buzzing with speculation that President Obama will backtrack from his campaign promises of ending the war in Iraq. He is now expected to keep Defense Secretary Gates and maintain Bush policies on Homeland Security and the the Iraq occupation.

What does he have to fear? No one can touch him now that he will be President and his competition in the 2012 Election will be a Republican who will support staying in Iraq until we win! Congress will not fight him because they need to get along with a President in their own party.

Obama's plan for Iraq about to meet reality - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 05:19 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Interesting detailed article, especially "The challenges ahead" section at the end - thanks for posting it!

Old 11-13-2008, 04:07 PM

820 posts, read 1,203,112 times
Seems like another sign of Mr. Obama growing into the job.
The situation in Iraq has changed , his policies change.
The influence of Mr.Powell and additional information from the military and intelligence communities
appear to be other influences.

Nothing wrong with that.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:10 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Well, remember that he had his top level security briefing the other week, I would imagine it was an eye opener for him, therefore it adjusted based on current intelligence on the situation.

I was really hoping to see attention shift to Afghanistan, however.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:13 PM

820 posts, read 1,203,112 times
Those types of briefings can be a very sobering experience.
Priorities change.
My respect for Mr. Obama has grown in the last few days.
He earned the increase and it doesn't come cheap.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:50 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
The Bush cartel left Afghanastan half done so they could rush off after their real target...Iraq. While no one was paying attention Afghanastan has unraveled....all that we HAD accomplished is coming undone...and all that we had left undone is now blowing up in our face. Our soldiers there are in desperate need of reinforcements. This situation is truly approaching crisis level. But we will not have the reinforcements to send them while we are bogged down in Iraq. Our "contract" is up January 1 in Iraq. Pull out the soldeirs NOW and send reinforcements to Afghanastan. One of the reasons I was so supportive of Obama was that he seemed to be one of the few who had kept his eye on the ball and realized what was really happening. If he leaves our soldiers there twisting in the wind to give into the pressure to keep supporting Iraq I will be more disillusioned and disappointed than I can say.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:51 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,512 times
The title of the article is "Obama's plan for Iraq about to meet reality."

It should read "Obama's naive, emotional rants about Iraq meet reality."

He never had a "plan" for Iraq.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:53 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
The title of the article is "Obama's plan for Iraq about to meet reality."

It should read "Obama's naive, emotional rants about Iraq meet reality."

He never had a "plan" for Iraq.
I think the only "plan" he had was to be elected president.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Well, remember that he had his top level security briefing the other week, I would imagine it was an eye opener for him, therefore it adjusted based on current intelligence on the situation.

I was really hoping to see attention shift to Afghanistan, however.
Oh, so since he had a security briefing and now has changed his mind, that's okay. But Bush has been privvy to the security all along and came to the same conclusion that Obama has now come to, based on the intelligence, but it was NOT okay for Bush. I see....

Old 11-14-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbear48 View Post
Seems like another sign of Mr. Obama growing into the job.
The situation in Iraq has changed , his policies change.
The influence of Mr.Powell and additional information from the military and intelligence communities
appear to be other influences.

Nothing wrong with that.
What situation has changed in Iraq? Sounds to me like he now knows that Bush was right about Iraq and now he is going to do what Bush is doing there. So it's okay for Obama, not okay for Bush?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections