Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Yes, blacks can still complain about racism 47 63.51%
No, blacks cannot complain about racism 27 36.49%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:15 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,214,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
Every race has people who are racists. Nothing is going to change that.
You're confusing two different issues. You are right that every race has racism. Or nearly so. But that's not the problem in America.

The real problem in America is that one form of racism has been internalized and built into the fabric of our institutions. White racism is an integral part of our society, and it creates large barriers for minorities which means that they have much more trouble achieving the levels of success than they would if they were white. "Black racism" doesn't hold a candle to "white racism" in that regard. And because it's such a long-lasting and pervasive imbalance, it needs to be addressed and corrected.

Again, one black man achieving success does not mean that all those institutional barriers are gone.

Last edited by idahogie; 11-30-2008 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: poor wording

Old 12-01-2008, 12:58 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
What do you think?
When the Sun goes down, does it still exist?

Get real.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:02 AM

972 posts, read 1,330,733 times
You know what I heard around Okla MANY times during the election..

"I aint voting for no N word"

Racism is very much still around.

But you knew that right?? The KKK is still doing their things as well ect ect.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:31 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
You're confusing two different issues. You are right that every race has racism. Or nearly so. But that's not the problem in America.

The real problem in America is that one form of racism has been internalized and built into the fabric of our institutions. White racism is an integral part of our society, and it creates large barriers for minorities which means that they have much more trouble achieving the levels of success than they would if they were white. "Black racism" doesn't hold a candle to "white racism" in that regard. And because it's such a long-lasting and pervasive imbalance, it needs to be addressed and corrected.

Again, one black man achieving success does not mean that all those institutional barriers are gone.
Yes, it does. This black man acheiving this position - the democratically elected leader of our country & head of state - that is a game changer. This isn't a daytime talker or musician or entertainer, this is the leadership of our country & the most powerful position in our society. And this country chose to entrust that position to a black man.

Will blacks continue to suffer from discrimination? Yes.
Will all Racists - Black or White (or Yellow or Brown for that matter) - go away? No
Will individuals and individual institutions continue to fail in the area of offering equal opportuntiy to blacks (and others)? Yes

But the old "America is a racist nation" and "institutional racism" line is dead in the water.

By no means does Obama's election mean every vestige of racial distrust & discrimination is swept away. I don't know if humans will ever become totally blind to the differences between races, its been part of the human condition since the dawn of mankind. But what his election does mean is we have crossed a huge milestone in the difficult task of trying to build a multiracial meritocrocy.

Lastly, Black racism does not get a pass in any way shape or form. It is just as ugly as any white (or brown or yellow) racism is. As more blacks move into positions of power you will find less and less tolerance for it. Black seeking leadership position in society in the future won't be getting a pass on the Rev. Wrights in their lives anymore.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:36 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,835,057 times
I'm seeing, reading, and hearing more racism than I did before he was elected.

Take a look at some of the threads here- people have referred to Obama as "boy" and have been very clear that they don't want a Black President.

Much of the vitriol, including the challenge of his birth, is rooted deeply in racism.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:41 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
You know what I heard around Okla MANY times during the election..

"I aint voting for no N word"

Racism is very much still around.

But you knew that right?? The KKK is still doing their things as well ect ect.
I heard that in Texas too. Even from Democrats. I still hear the N word used when people discuss Obama as our president. At least these people don't hide their racism like some do. I see lots of posts on this forum discussing inane reasons for not supporting our president-elect. I suspect that the true reason in many instances is race. I wish that I could say that I am not a racist, but often, racism sneaks into my thoughts. We Southerners have been taught racism from a young age, and it is a fabric of our society. Those of us who oppose it have to be constantly vigilant to stop it within ourselves and within society. I know, for example, that I am as guilty as anyone else when a friend tells a racist joke, and I don't let him know that I find it offensive or I laugh at the joke. Racism is subtle and institutionalized in this country. Are things better? Yes. Do we have a long way to go? Yes. Has Obama's election stopped racism? No.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:56 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Racism is not going to go away simply because Obama made it to the White House. One only has to looks at some of the posts on this forum to realise there is still a long way to go before racism becomes a thing of the past...

Racism is about ignorance ,fear, prejudice and distrust and those things take a long time to change. Cultural attitudes towards certain sectors of the population will be with us for a long, long time. Racism is sadly part of Human Nature so I can't see how one black man making it to the highest office in the land is supposed to change all that.

Not that racism only goes one way, as of course racism is prevalent in ALL societies and all races towards the "other". Once again those are ingrained attitudes and trying to eradicate them is not that simple.

Obama getting elected is a big step in the right direction towards a more integrated society but it's a long arduous road ahead before bigotry stops rearing its ugly head.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:26 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,835,057 times
I work for a very progressive company- one of the largest manufacturers in our sector on an international level.

We have over 25,000 employees worldwide. We have done phenemonal things with regard to preserving the environment, sourcing raw materials in a sustainable manner, and even have Greenpeace holding us up as a great example of corporate responsibility. We have the endorsements of numerous environmental and human rights groups, including the Human Rights Campaign.

We offer domestic partnership benefits on a scope that is much more broad than those of other companies. Our insurance even covers trans gender treatments.

In addition, we are a very altruistic company on an international level. We give money, supplies, and even send employees into situations where help is needed.

I've always been very proud of my company for these things.

However, I've become somewhat disenchanted. The division I work for is comprised of several hundred outside sales people throughout the fifty states. I've always been troubled that my industry as a whole is not very inclusive with regard to ethnicity/race across the board. In the ten years I worked for this company we have had maybe three persons of color in the sales force.

For the last two years, there have been two. And over the last three months, one of those people was fired and the other person's position was eliminated- but filled as soon as he was gone. With a white person.

Plenty of reason, in my opinion, to still believe in racism.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:29 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,924,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I work for a very progressive company- one of the largest manufacturers in our sector on an international level.

We have over 25,000 employees worldwide. We have done phenemonal things with regard to preserving the environment, sourcing raw materials in a sustainable manner, and even have Greenpeace holding us up as a great example of corporate responsibility. We have the endorsements of numerous environmental and human rights groups, including the Human Rights Campaign.

We offer domestic partnership benefits on a scope that is much more broad than those of other companies. Our insurance even covers trans gender treatments.

In addition, we are a very altruistic company on an international level. We give money, supplies, and even send employees into situations where help is needed.

I've always been very proud of my company for these things.

However, I've become somewhat disenchanted. The division I work for is comprised of several hundred outside sales people throughout the fifty states. I've always been troubled that my industry as a whole is not very inclusive with regard to ethnicity/race across the board. In the ten years I worked for this company we have had maybe three persons of color in the sales force.

For the last two years, there have been two. And over the last three months, one of those people was fired and the other person's position was eliminated- but filled as soon as he was gone. With a white person.

Plenty of reason, in my opinion, to still believe in racism.
Did you ever think that none with the qualifications needed applied? They don't have to hire someone that isn't qualified just to get more blacks to make people like you happy. I know all too often that companies hire unqualified people because of race and ethnicity to keep up with the ignorant and wrong quotas that they have to go by, but it is wrong.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:37 AM

695 posts, read 1,377,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post

Did I say that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections