Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Yes, blacks can still complain about racism 47 63.51%
No, blacks cannot complain about racism 27 36.49%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:04 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times

Advertisements

Instead of magnanimity it appears to me that a lot of white folks felt that the country was so screwed up that they would even vote for the Negro if it could possibly turn the country around. So they did.

Now, if the OP is going to promise me that I will never ever hear myself described at 6' 175 lbs as the big black guy, or have a neighbor sell their house because I moved into the neighborhood, or have a neighbor come up to me and say that he was concerned that I moved into the area until he notice how nicely I kept my lawn (these are true stories that happened in the last 10 years) then I will promise never to ***** about racist white folks ever again.

I promise! Cross my heart and hope and David Duke dies.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:08 AM

695 posts, read 1,377,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I was just restating my basic position. You were implying that racism was a pervasive problem only because there are racists of every race. Would you address my main criticism of your point?
Why are you assuming what I'm implying?

And what is there to address?

Was/is there institutional racism? Yes. Is it ALL flowing from one race against another? No. Is legislation going to make racism go away? No - because you cannot outlaw stupidity.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:31 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,218,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
Why are you assuming what I'm implying?

And what is there to address?

Was/is there institutional racism? Yes. Is it ALL flowing from one race against another? No. Is legislation going to make racism go away? No - because you cannot outlaw stupidity.
Your argument - that racism exists in every culture - is beside the point in this discussion. It's like joining a thread about global pollution problems and saying "We can't do anything, people are always going to litter." You're missing the big picture and focusing on trivia.

Moderator cut: Personal Attack

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 12-01-2008 at 09:02 AM..

Old 12-01-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Your argument - that racism exists in every culture - is beside the point in this discussion. It's like joining a thread about global pollution problems and saying "We can't do anything, people are always going to litter." You're missing the big picture and focusing on trivia.

You've proven yourself to be very argumentative, but I'm not interested in carrying on with you unless you can address that issue.
Moderator cut: Personal Attack

I answered your question. Maybe your question wasn't worthy of anything more than that simple answer. I'm not "missing the big picture". And I'm not "fixated on trivia". I'm saying that complaining about "institutional racism" is often little more than a fail-safe answer for those who want to make excuses.

So... Maybe I should be complaining about the fact that there are over 100 HBCUs in the United States. Is that not motivated by institutional racism? Or maybe I shouldn't concern myself with that, and just be happy that there are SO MANY opportunities for people of ALL RACES to make good choices, work hard, get good educations and better themselves.

Moderator cut: Off topic

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 12-01-2008 at 09:02 AM..

Old 12-01-2008, 09:04 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,598 times
I just wanted to point out that students don't have to be black to attend Historically Black Colleges & Universities. In fact, many white students attend and receive preference in the admission process at these schools.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
...and you've proven yourself to be antagonistic and rude. Why are you so obsessed with me? It is some perverse fixation you have?

I answered your question. Maybe your question wasn't worthy of anything more than that simple answer. I'm not "missing the big picture". And I'm not "fixated on trivia". I'm saying that complaining about "institutional racism" is often little more than a fail-safe answer for those who want to make excuses.

So... Maybe I should be complaining about the fact that there are over 100 HBCUs in the United States. Is that not motivated by institutional racism? Or maybe I shouldn't concern myself with that, and just be happy that there are SO MANY opportunities for people of ALL RACES to make good choices, work hard, get good educations and better themselves.

But go ahead and keep whining about racism, and labeling me a racist.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:05 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,281,211 times
racism doesn't go away just because half of the country voted for someone. and everyone can be a victim of racism, there should never stop being a search for improvement. But I think this does take away the stereotype that white people inherently are racist. THAT I think is put to bed for good. There will still be the occassional racist however.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:07 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,598 times
I can so relate to the bolded comments. I can't tell you how many times someone has made the most ridiculous assumptions about me based upon the fact that I'm black. It's almost comical.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Instead of magnanimity it appears to me that a lot of white folks felt that the country was so screwed up that they would even vote for the Negro if it could possibly turn the country around. So they did.

Now, if the OP is going to promise me that I will never ever hear myself described at 6' 175 lbs as the big black guy, or have a neighbor sell their house because I moved into the neighborhood, or have a neighbor come up to me and say that he was concerned that I moved into the area until he notice how nicely I kept my lawn (these are true stories that happened in the last 10 years) then I will promise never to ***** about racist white folks ever again.

I promise! Cross my heart and hope and David Duke dies.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
I just wanted to point out that students don't have to be black to attend Historically Black Colleges & Universities. In fact, many white students attend and receive preference in the admission process at these schools.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
You're partially right.

Yes, ANYBODY can attend these colleges - which is great. But there are extremely few non-blacks who attend them.

The POINT is that there are WONDERFUL educational opportunities available to blacks. Why aren't more blacks taking advantage of them? It CANNOT be "institutional racism" in HBCUs.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:08 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,954,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Now with Obama soon to be in office, can blacks complain about racism?
Of course. Anyone who is a victim of racism is entitled to complain about it. Period. No matter when it happens, no matter what race they are, no matter who's in office.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:12 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,433,675 times
Actually in some ways racism will heighten, as those unhappy with Obama's election and subsequent policies will take out their frustrations on more accessible people of color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections