Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Yes, blacks can still complain about racism 47 63.51%
No, blacks cannot complain about racism 27 36.49%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:09 PM

695 posts, read 1,377,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
I believe that, in general, black people have greater educational opportunities available to us than we did in the past. As I have previously stated, there are greater numbers of black people attending colleges/universities than at any other time in history. I believe that those of us who are in a position to take advantage of these opportunities, are doing so. However, I also recognize that there are certain segments of the black community whose circumstances don't allow them to attend college.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
I agree. And I think it's fantastic that more blacks then ever are attending college. In fact, from what I've read recently, 15-16% of all college students are black, despite the fact that only 12% of the general population is black. So this is a very good thing!

But would you also agree that there is a certain segment of the black population (and I'm not going to try to quibble about percentage) that WON'T take advantage of those opportunities, because they're so determined to play the victim role - and to do so by always pulling out the race card?

Old 12-01-2008, 03:11 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,836,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
A better question might be, "Would Democrats be honest enough to admit that they have always virulently hated George Bush, far more so than this person hates Obama?"
I can't speak for all democrats, but I can speak for myself.

When Bush won the election, I wasn't thrilled with the results but I also felt bad that his victory was somewhat sullied by the recounts and such. Winning the Presidency should be a shining moment and I felt bad that he achieved that but there were so many questions- kind of ruined a special time for him. Regardless, I made the decision to support my president and I did just that.

After the events of 9/11 I sincerely felt for him. I saw his face when he was reading to the kids and learned what happened. And I will never forget his speech from the ruins of the twin towers shortly after the attacks. I was proud of him and proud of America in the wake of that tragedy.

It was only after we learned about the mistruths concerning the WMD and our entrance into Iraq that I became disgusted with him.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:13 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,836,214 times
Quote:
But would you also agree that there is a certain segment of the black population (and I'm not going to try to quibble about percentage) that WON'T take advantage of those opportunities, because they're so determined to play the victim role - and to do so by always pulling out the race card?

There are whites and hispanics who do the same thing.

Laziness and lack of aspiration is not limited to blacks.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I can't speak for all democrats, but I can speak for myself.

When Bush won the election, I wasn't thrilled with the results but I also felt bad that his victory was somewhat sullied by the recounts and such. Winning the Presidency should be a shining moment and I felt bad that he achieved that but there were so many questions- kind of ruined a special time for him. Regardless, I made the decision to support my president and I did just that.

After the events of 9/11 I sincerely felt for him. I saw his face when he was reading to the kids and learned what happened. And I will never forget his speech from the ruins of the twin towers shortly after the attacks. I was proud of him and proud of America in the wake of that tragedy.

It was only after we learned about the mistruths concerning the WMD and our entrance into Iraq that I became disgusted with him.
MOST Democrats and liberals have been screaming and frothing at the mouth about Bush since before he was even elected.

Now, think about it... Right or wrong, Obama IS going to get the same treatment from a lot of Republicans. It's not necessarily that Obama has it coming, but the Democrats definitely have it coming.

I happen to think Obama is a good man, though he wasn't my choice for President. And I'm not going to blindly bad-mouth him, like the Democrats have blindly bad-mouthed Bush for the last 8 years. But I'll guarantee you that a lot of people will.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:16 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The last sentence definitely sounds like several of the posters here in my opinion.

Ken
Specifically? Lay it out there dude.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
There are whites and hispanics who do the same thing.

Laziness and lack of aspiration is not limited to blacks.
Refer to the title of this thread.

"Now with Obama soon to be in office, can BLACKS complain about racism?"

Maybe you missed that part.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:23 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,617 times
Quote:
MOST Democrats and liberals have been screaming and frothing at the mouth about Bush since before he was even elected.

Now, think about it... Right or wrong, Obama IS going to get the same treatment from a lot of Republicans. It's not necessarily that Obama has it coming, but the Democrats definitely have it coming.

I happen to think Obama is a good man, though he wasn't my choice for President. And I'm not going to blindly bad-mouth him, like the Democrats have blindly bad-mouthed Bush for the last 8 years. But I'll guarantee you that a lot of people will.

Actually Bush had most of the country behind him right after 9/11, including Democrats.

It was his ill advised actions and/or lack of actions that have since led to most of the country now seeing him as a bad joke.

I think most people with common sense will give the President Elect a fair shake and then form their own opinions.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
"there is a certain segment of the black population (and I'm not going to try to quibble about percentage) that WON'T take advantage of those opportunities, because they're so determined to play the victim role"

Yes everyday they wake up and say, "Yo bro, how can we blame whitey for our problems today."

Puleeze, one of the problems with being a victim is acceptance of one's victimization. The very fact that some African Americans feel that they can't succeed is a product of the very racism that has been impressed upon them for generations. From my perspective it is a miracle and a wonderment that in one generation removed from the most virulent forms of racial discrimination African Americans have achieved as much success as we have.

Perhaps instead of looking at your racist half filled glass you might take the time to look a non-racist glass that is half-full.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Yes everyday they wake up and say, "Yo bro, how can we blame whitey for our problems today."

Puleeze, one of the problems with being a victim is acceptance of one's victimization. The very fact that some African Americans feel that they can't succeed is a product of the very racism that has been impressed upon them for generations. From my perspective it is a miracle and a wonderment that in one generation removed from the most virulent forms of racial discrimination African Americans have achieved as much success as we have.

Perhaps instead of looking at your racist half filled glass you might take the time to look a non-racist glass that is half-full.
And perhaps maybe you should stop blaming "ole whitey" for all your problems. It's 2008, not 1868.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:29 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,192,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Wise advice, best I've read all day....rep for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections