Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Yes, blacks can still complain about racism 47 63.51%
No, blacks cannot complain about racism 27 36.49%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 04:03 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Me too.
So far, the only food that I have found that I don't like under any circumstances happens to be beets. Yuck on beets. I like most everything else, some better than others of course, but most anything.

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times
Yes, I think blacks can still say they are being discriminated against because they are. For you to say "Can blacks *complain* about racism", I will say yes.

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
A better question might be, "Would Democrats be honest enough to admit that they have always virulently hated George Bush, far more so than this person hates Obama?"

I would admit to hating GWB, but he has given us many reasons to do so (Iraq, Katrina, Guantanamo, the economy, civil liberties, etc.....). Obama is not even President yet. What has he done, outside of living while black, to make him the subject of so much hate?

Old 12-01-2008, 04:05 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,598 times
No, I don't agree that the reason some black people aren't taking advantage of educational opportunities is related to them wanting to play the victim role or race card. To the contrary, I think this attitude trivializes their experience and the very real problems they encounter.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
I agree. And I think it's fantastic that more blacks then ever are attending college. In fact, from what I've read recently, 15-16% of all college students are black, despite the fact that only 12% of the general population is black. So this is a very good thing!

But would you also agree that there is a certain segment of the black population (and I'm not going to try to quibble about percentage) that WON'T take advantage of those opportunities, because they're so determined to play the victim role - and to do so by always pulling out the race card?

Old 12-01-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I agree. And I think it's fantastic that more blacks then ever are attending college. In fact, from what I've read recently, 15-16% of all college students are black, despite the fact that only 12% of the general population is black. So this is a very good thing!

But would you also agree that there is a certain segment of the black population (and I'm not going to try to quibble about percentage) that WON'T take advantage of those opportunities, because they're so determined to play the victim role - and to do so by always pulling out the race card?
I would agree with some of what you say in this last paragraph - the "acting white" syndrome, the anti-intellectualism in some segments of our culture - but it is more complicated than just, as you say, "pulling out the race card."

Old 12-01-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
MOST Democrats and liberals have been screaming and frothing at the mouth about Bush since before he was even elected.

Now, think about it... Right or wrong, Obama IS going to get the same treatment from a lot of Republicans. It's not necessarily that Obama has it coming, but the Democrats definitely have it coming.

I happen to think Obama is a good man, though he wasn't my choice for President. And I'm not going to blindly bad-mouth him, like the Democrats have blindly bad-mouthed Bush for the last 8 years. But I'll guarantee you that a lot of people will.

Can you honestly say that GWB has been blindly bad-mouthed? Or is the bad mouthing richly deserved?

Old 12-01-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Seems to me that you want and have this need to say people are racist, even when they have shown no tendacies to be so. There might well be many qualified to do the jobs she was talking about, but maybe not where she lives. I have no idea. All I was saying, and I know you know this but wanted to make it sound otherwise, it is not always racism because some blacks do not get hired for some jobs. PERIOD!!!

I have no need to do anything but tell the truth. The most important phrase in the above paragraph is, "I have no idea." Before you asserted that it was quite possible that there were no blacks qualified for the job. Now you acknowledge that you really have no idea. It is true that SOMETIMES it is not about racism when blacks do not get hired. But sometimes it IS. We have history to back us on that.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I guess that they could work their way through college like so many whites and others do. Just a thought!!!
Maybe they can, and maybe they can't. African Americans are the poorest ethnic group in this country. Many simply do not have the resources of so many whites and others.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Who the hell cares?
Thank you.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:20 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Maybe they can, and maybe they can't. African Americans are the poorest ethnic group in this country. Many simply do not have the resources of so many whites and others.
That has nothing to do with the fact that they could get jobs like any other college person. It has nothing to do with race. What you stated is just using the victim card again and nothing else. I am of Mexican descent and I made it and worked my way through college. There is no reason that any black, white, or any other race or ethnicity could not do the same thing. The problem right now is that the economy sucks. I know plenty whites that are having to drop out of college because they can no longer afford it, all because of the economy.

Last edited by Anonymous Political Junky; 12-01-2008 at 04:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections